General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 7422
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by rooneypoo on Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:49 pm

If Ryan is also available, that just changed the landscape a lot, and in OTT's favour. Play one team/offer of another, bring the price down on whichever you buy. If CLB is unreasonable, fine, turn to ANA. Either is a fit. Ryan might be easier to get in the sense that ANA is probably not looking for a goalie.

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10038
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by spader on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:14 am

Riprock wrote:Rumour that Columbus might want Jon Bernier - so if Ottawa can swing a deal for Nash that incl.'s their 15th overall, Columbus could package #15 + Bishop (acquired via OTT for Nash) for Bernier + LA's 1st.

LA moves up 15 spots and gets a 25 year old, 6'7" goalie.

So Columbus would effectively get Bernier + LA's 1st + probably two of ZBad/Puempel/Foligno/whoever for Nash. That would be a sweet haul if Howson could pull it off.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16254
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:34 am

It seems that some of the potential landing spots for Nash are also interested in Parise...so the whole Nash thing may wait until after July 1st. But I really hope it goes down at the draft. I'm hoping for some kind of bonanza.
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by Riprock on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:28 am

Thing is, if it goes past July 1, Howson doesn't get a pick this year. If he wants to wait until after July 1, he has to wait a whole year to use a pick.
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 7422
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

Post by rooneypoo on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:54 am

Riprock wrote:Thing is, if it goes past July 1, Howson doesn't get a pick this year. If he wants to wait until after July 1, he has to wait a whole year to use a pick.

Given that they already have the #2 pick, and that the draft is by consensus not the strongest, getting a 1st rounder as part of a deal for Nash might not be a high priority. They've been picking bad for years -- they may well better off trading for young players and prospects who are already someways along in their development.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 9235
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

Post by Hoags on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:19 am

rooneypoo wrote:
    Given that they already have the #2 pick, and that the draft is by consensus not the strongest, getting a 1st rounder as part of a deal for Nash might not be a high priority. They've been picking bad for years -- they may well better off trading for young players and prospects who are already someways along in their development.

I think they'd want more NHL ready talent (or almost ready) rather than draft picks who may or may not work out (especially given their awful track record).

Only problem I see is they'd need a big name to sell to their fanbase. Nash IS that team.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:30 am

Zibaenjad/Bishop or Lehner/Foligno or Michalek are all NHL ready players.

If I am the Sens and I offer up Lehner/Zibanejad/Foligno for Nash, I think Clb 2nd has to be coming back so they can draft a goalie.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54245
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:43 am

tim1_2 wrote:It seems that some of the potential landing spots for Nash are also interested in Parise...so the whole Nash thing may wait until after July 1st. But I really hope it goes down at the draft. I'm hoping for some kind of bonanza.

And also Bobby Ryan now - whether that's true or not, there are other teams who are coming in to Diddle with Columbus.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoags on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:00 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
    And also Bobby Ryan now - whether that's true or not, there are other teams who are coming in to Diddle with Columbus.

Bobby Ryan would cost more I imagine, I still find it hard to believe they'll actually trade him, they teased about this before and it didn't sound like they were serious.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:05 pm

Hoags wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:

Bobby Ryan would cost more I imagine, I still find it hard to believe they'll actually trade him, they teased about this before and it didn't sound like they were serious.

I truly believe it's to drive the price of Nash down and mess with the BJs. Either that, or it's to absolutely feast on the loser of the Nash sweeps and the Parise sweeps. Someone might be so desperate, they make a mistake and really overpay for Booby.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoags on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:12 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
    I truly believe it's to drive the price of Nash down and mess with the BJs. Either that, or it's to absolutely feast on the loser of the Nash sweeps and the Parise sweeps. Someone might be so desperate, they make a mistake and really overpay for Booby.

Why would Anaheim care about Nash and CBJ ? They're not in the running nor could they afford Nash.

I think after a bad season they're exploring what changes they can make to their team. They're listening to offers but it doesn't sound like they're 100% committed to moving Ryan unless someone makes an offer they can't refuse.

Unless there is financial reasons, I imagine the Ducks aren't exactly a rich team.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:14 pm

Hoags wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:

Why would Anaheim care about Nash and CBJ ? They're not in the running nor could they afford Nash.

I think after a bad season they're exploring what changes they can make to their team. They're listening to offers but it doesn't sound like they're 100% committed to moving Ryan unless someone makes an offer they can't refuse.

Unless there is financial reasons, I imagine the Ducks aren't exactly a rich team.

Spirit of competition? I have no idea, but that's twice now they 'announced' cryptically that Ryan is available, just as Columbus has announced loud and clear that Nash is on the block.

I think it's to make the GMs aware that when they lose out on Nash and Parise, they're the place to shop, but I can't see them trading him after Boudreau got him going again. Who knows...
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoags on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:19 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:

Spirit of competition? I have no idea, but that's twice now they 'announced' cryptically that Ryan is available, just as Columbus has announced loud and clear that Nash is on the block.

I think it's to make the GMs aware that when they lose out on Nash and Parise, they're the place to shop, but I can't see them trading him after Boudreau got him going again. Who knows...

I think they're just exploring options to improve their team and yes you're right they could get better offers from teams that strike out on Parise and Nash.

Howson is actively shopping Nash and working the phones to get the best deal possible. We are 100% certain that Nash is on the market and he WILL get traded, sooner or later. Ryan will get traded if they get blown with an offer that provides what they need (whatever that is), but I think they'd be more than happy to keep him if they do not like the offers.

It doesn't like there's any urgency to ship Ryan out of town like there is with Nash.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:28 pm

B.Murray and B.Murray should have a long tete a tete about Ryan. He may have character issues - not that I know anything about it personally, but damn that boy can score.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:12 pm

Diddle Ryan and Nash, just break the bank for Parise. At least then all we're getting rid of is money, and who likes money anyways?
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24760
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:44 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Diddle Ryan and Nash, just break the bank for Parise. At least then all we're getting rid of is money, and who likes money anyways?

Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoags on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:47 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Diddle Ryan and Nash, just break the bank for Parise. At least then all we're getting rid of is money, and who likes money anyways?

Parise isn't signing here, he probably already knows where he will go.

Melnyk would never approve giving Parise a massive front-loaded deal that lasts until he is 40, especially with a delayed season looking more and more likely. Look at Karlsson's contract, only costs the Gene $1M right now.

Can't understand why people complain about Nash's contract when Parise will get a similar cap hit, double the term and probably a $10M signing bonus payable immediately but the season won't start til December.

Eugene would tell Bryan Murray to jump in the Ottawa river if he asked for approval for such an expenditure.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:27 pm

Hoags wrote:

Parise isn't signing here, he probably already knows where he will go.

Melnyk would never approve giving Parise a massive front-loaded deal that lasts until he is 40, especially with a delayed season looking more and more likely. Look at Karlsson's contract, only costs the Gene $1M right now.

Can't understand why people complain about Nash's contract when Parise will get a similar cap hit, double the term and probably a $10M signing bonus payable immediately but the season won't start til December.

Eugene would tell Bryan Murray to jump in the Ottawa river if he asked for approval for such an expenditure.

I don't like your attitude, young man. Parise will not get "double the term" of Nash. You speculate on things too much. Are you affiliated with HockeyBuzz?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:29 am