General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by shabbs on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:42 am

Leafs have apparently made an offer for Bernier...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/trades/2012/07/17/toronto_maple_leafs_report_jonathan_bernier_los_angeles_kings/

No mention of what was in the offer...

So much for not wanting an "unproven" goalie eh? Wink

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by NEELY on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:50 am

Bernier is NOT a #1 guy. Too small and just not good enough. Can't imagine what he would be like in Toronto... he totally fell apart as Canada's goaltender at the WJC.

Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 9235
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

Post by Hoags on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:48 am

NEELY wrote:Bernier is NOT a #1 guy. Too small and just not good enough. Can't imagine what he would be like in Toronto... he totally fell apart as Canada's goaltender at the WJC.

Is size really that much of a disadvantage ?

Wamsley mentioned in his interview that Bishop's size is more of a disadvantage than an advantage, although there are positives to being that big.

I can't see the Leafs getting Bernier, supposedly LA wants a 1st round pick in return.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by NEELY on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:29 am

Hoags wrote:
    NEELY wrote:Bernier is NOT a #1 guy. Too small and just not good enough. Can't imagine what he would be like in Toronto... he totally fell apart as Canada's goaltender at the WJC.

Wamsley mentioned in his interview that Bishop's size is more of a disadvantage than an advantage, although there are positives to being that big.

I can't see the Leafs getting Bernier, supposedly LA wants a 1st round pick in return.

Being under 6' is a disadvantage for sure. I don't buy the "size doesn't matter" thing because over the last 10-15 years I can't think of any goaltender under 6 foot that has had a really long term impact. Irbe maybe?

Fact is almost every goaltender plays the butterfly is some shape or form and unless your angles are near perfect, you need a somewhat big body. 6'2 is probably average for a goaltender.

Any goaltender under 6' is going to struggle to be consistent. Any kind of hole in their game or loss of confidence kills them. Only guy I see maybe being a starter one day that is under that mark is Enroth.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:39 am

If LA wants a first pick back, they should deal with Columbus then and get their own 1st round pick back that they gave to them. They have said that Columbus is also in the mix with LA and Bernier.

If the Leafs cough up a 1st for Bernier... heh heh... I will laugh.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54245
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:53 am

I think he's being unfairly judged here. Who cares about a showing at the WJ? He did really well in the AHL and has had some great starts in the NHL, I think he'd be really good to tandem with someone and see if he can steal the starting job - a la Lindback.

I think Columbus should absolutely be looking at him to tandem with Bob. Although they'd have to figure out what to do with Mason I guess.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:04 am

SpezDispenser wrote:I think he's being unfairly judged here. Who cares about a showing at the WJ? He did really well in the AHL and has had some great starts in the NHL, I think he'd be really good to tandem with someone and see if he can steal the starting job - a la Lindback.

I think Columbus should absolutely be looking at him to tandem with Bob. Although they'd have to figure out what to do with Mason I guess.

How many goalies are really good in the AHL? Had some great teams in front of him too. In LA he's been meh, not bad, not great.

Whatever team gives up anything of real value for Bernier will regret it. Too small.

As for the WJC, he cracked under pressure. Yah, it might not be the be all and end all but you can't point to anything he has done and say "yah, that's the guy that will be solid for a long time".
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47674
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:14 am

NEELY wrote:
    Hoags wrote:

Being under 6' is a disadvantage for sure. I don't buy the "size doesn't matter" thing because over the last 10-15 years I can't think of any goaltender under 6 foot that has had a really long term impact. Irbe maybe?

Fact is almost every goaltender plays the butterfly is some shape or form and unless your angles are near perfect, you need a somewhat big body. 6'2 is probably average for a goaltender.

Any goaltender under 6' is going to struggle to be consistent. Any kind of hole in their game or loss of confidence kills them. Only guy I see maybe being a starter one day that is under that mark is Enroth.

Thomas is 5'11". Plus if you want to talk big, I don't really consider a 6'0 - 6'1" goalie anywhere near huge. 6'3" and over, sure, that's size, but there is not significant difference between, say, 5'11 and 6'1". And there have been plenty in that range.

Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867

Post by Riprock on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:19 am

NEELY wrote:
    Hoags wrote:

- Tim Thomas, 5'11''
    -Tomas Vokoun, 5'11''
    -Manny Legace, 5'10''
    -Jose Theodore, 5'11''
    - Dominik Hasek, 5'11''
    -Mike Richter, 5'11''
    -Jaroslav Halak, 5'11''
    -Marty Turco, 5'11''
    -Vesa Toskala, 5'10''
    -Chris Osgood, 5'10''

Have to be careful though, because some goalies might have their height exaggerated on the NHL sites.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:24 am

NEELY wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:I think he's being unfairly judged here. Who cares about a showing at the WJ? He did really well in the AHL and has had some great starts in the NHL, I think he'd be really good to tandem with someone and see if he can steal the starting job - a la Lindback.

How many goalies are really good in the AHL? Had some great teams in front of him too. In LA he's been meh, not bad, not great.

Whatever team gives up anything of real value for Bernier will regret it. Too small.

As for the WJC, he cracked under pressure. Yah, it might not be the be all and end all but you can't point to anything he has done and say "yah, that's the guy that will be solid for a long time".

He's not a stud, again I'd put him in the same boat as Lindback (better though, but still unproven), but he's not chopped liver. He's played the equivalent of half a season and posted a .913 and a .908 (and a .957 in a few appearances previous).

He had a beautiful 60 game season in the AHL where he posted a .936 as well - and while the AHL isn't the NHL by any stretch, that can't be overlooked.

You might be right, or I might be right, but it's not a devastating gamble to take - as long as you have the 2nd part of the tandem in place.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:26 am

With that said, I'd meet with Hasek and see if he's actually still got 'it', because man...when that guy was on, he was a clinic. Now...I wonder if he'd need a clinic after a game or two.

He's be a nice fit in Columbus, I'd have him checked out, observe him in practice, then offer him a contract. I don't give a Diddle who laughed at me.
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867

Post by Riprock on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:34 am

Hasek should be looking for a goalie coaching job, not a goalie job.

Not that you can actually teach that method...
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:37 am

Riprock wrote:Hasek should be looking for a goalie coaching job, not a goalie job.

Haven't you learned never to count Hasek out?
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24760
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:44 am

SpezDispenser wrote:
    Riprock wrote:Hasek should be looking for a goalie coaching job, not a goalie job.

I learned you can't count on him either.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:51 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:

I learned you can't count on him either.

It's not really like Columbus will need him for the playoffs though.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47674

Post by wprager on Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:52 am

Riprock wrote:
    NEELY wrote:
    Hoags wrote:

- Tim Thomas, 5'11''
    -Tomas Vokoun, 5'11''
    -Manny Legace, 5'10''
    -Jose Theodore, 5'11''
    - Dominik Hasek, 5'11''
    -Mike Richter, 5'11''
    -Jaroslav Halak, 5'11''
    -Marty Turco, 5'11''
    -Vesa Toskala, 5'10''
    -Chris Osgood, 5'10''

Have to be careful though, because some goalies might have their height exaggerated on the NHL sites.

In fairness to NEELY, some of those fall outside the relevant period. Yes, I know that he said 10-15 years, but that probably should have been more like 5-10. Also some of those goalies didn't put up exceptional numbers (wins, maybe, because of playing behind great teams).

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:49 pm

Thomas is for sure an exception to that rule and he doesn't exactly play the typical style. Hasek is 6'1 btw.

Theodore has been a backup going on 5 years now and had one great season. Hardly consistant.

Richter bests years were the early 90's.

Turco got run out of the league because in part he is too small. Toskala same deal.

Halak had a good playoff run, hasn't really done a lot before or after that.

Look at the most consistant goalies over the past 5-10 years. All except Thomas are over 6'0. Ludavist, Brodure, Rinne, Luongo, Miller.

Size matters when you are a goaltender.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:32 pm

Quincey re-signed by Detroit. 3.55 and 4 million on a 2 year deal.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:33 am