General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by shabbs on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:45 am

SpezDispenser wrote:Oshie signs a 5 year, 4.175 per extension.
    Good on him.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=401029

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by NEELY on Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:14 am

SpezDispenser wrote:Oshie signs a 5 year, 4.175 per extension.

That's a nice contract if we can stay healthy.

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54144
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:20 am

2.8 million X 2 for Kulemin in Toronto. Really like that deal a lot for the Leafs.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:26 am

That's a solid signing. He's at worst a good 3rd line winger. Problem is he might be the 2nd best in Toronto now.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54144
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:17 pm

Winnik signs in Anaheim for 1.8 per year X 2 years. Don't mind that signing either.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Post by shabbs on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:15 pm

Sam Gagner with a 1-year deal

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=401042

$3.2M, avoids arbitration.
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by Riprock on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:28 pm

EDM doesn't seem so sure about what to do with him - they don't seem convinced he is a consistent top 6. However he has consistently put up a .5PPG in his career, which is very respectable. Have to think that's why they are afraid to commit to him long-term.

He's a very capable #2 C, behind RNH. Too bad they are stuck with Horcoff - way too much for a #3.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24742
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:28 pm

shabbs wrote:Sam Gagner with a 1-year deal

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=401042

$3.2M, avoids arbitration.

Nice add for the Oilers.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10037
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:27 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
    spader wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:4 years, 13 million for Gagner apparently...

Not confirmed by anyone reputable I don't think.

Ha. So far it's been "confirmed" by Creasy, NHLSourcesSay, and HockeyInsiderr. That means it didn't happen.

Agreed.

Nod
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:32 pm

Penguins fire entire medical staff...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/pittsburgh-penguins-fire-medical-staff/article4431110/?cmpid=rss1

Mishandling of Crosby for sure...
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:16 pm

From Yost:

-- Eric Boulton(0.00, 51GP) and Nino Niederreiter(0.87, 55GP) had hysterically poor on-ice shot percentages. Boulton, literally, was never on ice for a marker at even-strength.

Laugh1

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Travis-Yost/Weekend-Stats-Did-You-Know/134/45710
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47526

Post by wprager on Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:52 am

Brennan blames it on Bettman:
    If Alfredsson retires it's all commissioner's fault

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/07/21/blame-it-on-bettman

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:00 am

Nice assessment of the article in this comment:

pretty long article to state the obvious but say basically nothing. Alfie is still a maybe...the season may not happen. Bettman is unpopular. That covers it and says nothing we do not already know.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:21 pm

I fully expect a shortened season now. A November start seems pretty likely. And if that's the case, I say it bodes well for Alfie playing.
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 7422
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

Post by rooneypoo on Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:24 pm

shabbs wrote:I fully expect a shortened season now. A November start seems pretty likely. And if that's the case, I say it bodes well for Alfie playing.

For very selfish reasons (i.e., an unmanageable workload between the start of September and the end of November), I'm OK with a late start this year. Smile
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20700
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:46 pm

rooneypoo wrote:
    shabbs wrote:I fully expect a shortened season now. A November start seems pretty likely. And if that's the case, I say it bodes well for Alfie playing.

For very selfish reasons (i.e., an unmanageable workload between the start of September and the end of November), I'm OK with a late start this year. Smile

will you still be at Carleton?
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:03 pm

When's the Winter Classic? Work backwards 2-3 weeks so they can advertise the hell out of it on NBC and that is your deadline for when the season starts. The smaller market teams will end up losing less money; the large market teams can afford this. While they would never admit to it, the owners don't mind shortening the season every 5-7 years to keep the salaries down. Neither do the stars, who can afford to take a pay cut to play shinny in Europe for a few months. The ones who lose are the minimum-wage players, the agents, the fringe players (who get pushed out of Euro league teams and the AHL) and, of course, the fans.

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:39 pm

wprager wrote:

When's the Winter Classic? Work backwards 2-3 weeks so they can advertise the hell out of it on NBC and that is your deadline for when the season starts. The smaller market teams will end up losing less money; the large market teams can afford this. While they would never admit to it, the owners don't mind shortening the season every 5-7 years to keep the salaries down. Neither do the stars, who can afford to take a pay cut to play shinny in Europe for a few months. The ones who lose are the minimum-wage players, the agents, the fringe players (who get pushed out of Euro league teams and the AHL) and, of course, the fans.

Source?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:37 am