wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47611
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Got a new 3D TV -- now what?

Post by wprager on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:51 am

Been looking for a new one for a while. Finally pulled the trigger last Tuesday. Order was delayed a bit and I ended up finally getting it delivered yesterday. For the record it's the LG 55LW5700 (edge-lit LED, passive 3D, smart-TV, wifi dongle included). It's got the A-IPS panel which is the same as what's included in their higher-end unit. There is a service menu you can access to "turn it" into an LW5600 with some nice features like local dimming (it's not a full-array backlight so "local dimming" is really just 16 screen regions, but I've heard it does a good job none-the-less), additional calibration modes, DVR function (hook up an external USB-attached drive and record programs OTA), and other advanced features.

Now I need some content. Not that I got this TV because I wanted so much to watch 3D, but I figured once in a while it would be fun. However I didn't realize how little there was really worth watching (google "top 3d movies" and you'll find several lists -- when "Friday the 13th Part III - 3D" makes *any* top list you know something's wrong), and how *expensive* these movies really are. Avatar -- can't even buy it yet unless you buy a 3D TV or player -- Panasonic, I think. How to Train Your Dragon -- a 2 year old movie that sells for $40 in 3D! There are others, of course, but not many that I would want to play such a premium price.

So, anyone else out there with a 3D TV? What movies do you own? Heard of any good deals? Any way I can get my hands on Avatar without buying hardware?

Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867

Re: Got a new 3D TV -- now what?

Post by Riprock on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:56 am

icefilms.info recently put up a bunch of 3d movies.
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Riprock on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:58 am

If you want to buy, keep checking Loblaws/Superstore, occasionally they put movies on sale for really cheap. FutureShop/BestBuy also have trade-in deals occasionally- tarde in a DVD get $5-$10 off select BD's.

If you want to purchase downloads, there are places like Sony Store (PS3), and other services like CinemaNow (?).

Oh and I think Netflix might have a few, but IIRC they are doc's or previews.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:08 pm

I stayed away from 3D when I bought my new TV.
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Riprock on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:41 pm

They are good tv's, even if you don't use the 3d. it's just an added feature.
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Riprock on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:42 pm

Wally, is that the one that uses the theatre glasses? If so that's a good model. So much cheaper. Just keep your glasses from the theatre.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:03 pm

Riprock wrote:They are good tv's, even if you don't use the 3d. it's just an added feature.

Bang on. I researched the snot out of this. In the end, I could have saved $200 and bought a similar model that didn't have 3D *or* network connection/smart TV functions (figured I'd probably be picking up a player that would have that, if necessary; and short term I have the PS3). Problem is, on those lower-end sets the panel was not guaranteed to be the A-IPS panel; if I could see the box and read the serial number, then I could determine which panel it had, but buying online that was impossible. Plus the convenience of using a single remote to watch Netflix is worth a bit in itself. So for a difference of $200 I get a guarantee of the best panel LG has (not comparing this year's models, by the way), additional calibration/PQ features as described in first post, and 3D on top of that.

I understand this is not a high-end TV, but I paid $1200 and not $3000+ (which is what you pay for a full-grid array backlight).

Anyhow, back on topic. I don't know if Netflix Canada has any 3D content. I haven't seen any yet. Don't know enough about Cinema Now -- if it's available on this set I'll have to look into it. Same for the others mentioned.

And, yes, it's the "passive 3D" which I've heard nothing but good things about (cheaper glasses, more comfortable to wear since they are lighter, no need for batteries, no risk of headaches from the flickering -- or the possibility of seeing flickering, no cross talk). I also checked the passive 3D (different model, but also LG) in the store and I have to say I was impressed. I didn't like the Sony/Panasonic ones earlier (active 3D) although that was a couple of years ago.

Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Riprock on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:11 pm

Oh ok, nevermind Netflix doesn't have 3d.

But seriously check out icefilms.info - http://www.icefilms.info/search?q=3d&x=0&y=0&cx=010591583107216882486%3Abafpv02vxuq&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8

I just searched "3d" and that's what came up. They are h-sbs files whatever that is. Only problem is if they are .mkv extension. only way to play those through a ps3 is to stream using a media server IIRC.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:12 pm

What's icefilms.info, by the way? Is it illegal downloading? They seem to be the only ones of the ones mentioned (haven't checked Sony yet) who have 3D content. Nothing on Neflix or CinemaNow.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:27 pm

Riprock wrote:Oh ok, nevermind Netflix doesn't have 3d.

But seriously check out icefilms.info - http://www.icefilms.info/search?q=3d&x=0&y=0&cx=010591583107216882486%3Abafpv02vxuq&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8

I just searched "3d" and that's what came up. They are h-sbs files whatever that is. Only problem is if they are .mkv extension. only way to play those through a ps3 is to stream using a media server IIRC.

MKV? Ugh. I've tried streaming from my PC (using PS3 Media Server -- PMS, yes) and because I am on wireless it was not very good (the only HD movie I downloaded would not play past the first couple of notes of the 20th Century Fox intro, then stutter one frame every few seconds -- completely unwatchable). I would have to use an mkv2avi or some similar converter and then stick it on a USB stick. But if icefilms is streaming only I can't do that.

Are you sure PS3 still won't play mkvs?

Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Riprock on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:27 pm

yes it is "illegal" because you aren't paying. But I and others I know, plusm illions I dont know, have used it. They link to files hosted by various media servers, like videohog, etc. Often you just have to click a bunch of links, wait xx seconds before downloading, etc.

Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Riprock on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:28 pm

wprager wrote:
    Riprock wrote:Oh ok, nevermind Netflix doesn't have 3d.

MKV? Ugh. I've tried streaming from my PC (using PS3 Media Server -- PMS, yes) and because I am on wireless it was not very good (the only HD movie I downloaded would not play past the first couple of notes of the 20th Century Fox intro, then stutter one frame every few seconds -- completely unwatchable). I would have to use an mkv2avi or some similar converter and then stick it on a USB stick. But if icefilms is streaming only I can't do that.

Are you sure PS3 still won't play mkvs?

Yeah PS3 won't play MKV's off their system.

You don't have to stream off of icefilms, you can download the file.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16221
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:24 pm

Good call with LG. Good bang for the buck. I have a LG plasma and a LG LED, and I'm very happy with both.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:47 pm

Hmm, I wonder if the TV itself would play MKV files or stream from icefilms. Based on a couple of threads on the icefilms forum, apparently not Sad

Oh, well, LG has several apps built into this TV so perhaps there is one for "renting" films, and then there could be some 3D content. Otherwise I'm sure the boys will enjoy converting Skyrim and Uncharted to 3D, or perhaps that racing game they downloaded. This set does 2D to 3D conversion on the fly. Might look a little funny doing that to, say, Mad About You on Netflix, but games should be interesting.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24745
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:13 pm

Q. Got a new 3D TV -- now what?

A. Complain about the lack of content for your new 3D TV.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:39 am