Got a new 3D TV -- now what?

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16279
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Re: Got a new 3D TV -- now what?

Post by tim1_2 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:24 pm

Good call with LG. Good bang for the buck. I have a LG plasma and a LG LED, and I'm very happy with both.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47775
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:47 pm

Hmm, I wonder if the TV itself would play MKV files or stream from icefilms. Based on a couple of threads on the icefilms forum, apparently not Sad

Oh, well, LG has several apps built into this TV so perhaps there is one for "renting" films, and then there could be some 3D content. Otherwise I'm sure the boys will enjoy converting Skyrim and Uncharted to 3D, or perhaps that racing game they downloaded. This set does 2D to 3D conversion on the fly. Might look a little funny doing that to, say, Mad About You on Netflix, but games should be interesting.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24763
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:13 pm

Q. Got a new 3D TV -- now what?

A. Complain about the lack of content for your new 3D TV.
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867
    Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by Riprock on Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:35 pm

Yeah I think all HD 720p files on Icefilms are .mkv, but you can get SD ones that are .avi
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:45 pm

I think there's one 3D test channel out there right now... outside of that, you're looking at 3D Blu-rays. Do you have a 3D BR player?
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:47 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:Q. Got a new 3D TV -- now what?

Heh. Too true. Like when HD first made the market, there was one "sample" channel. Now, everything is HD. Time will tell if 3D will follow a similar path. There have been a few 3D events that were broadcast. Not sure when we'll see regular 3D content.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:17 pm

shabbs wrote:

Heh. Too true. Like when HD first made the market, there was one "sample" channel. Now, everything is HD. Time will tell if 3D will follow a similar path. There have been a few 3D events that were broadcast. Not sure when we'll see regular 3D content.

The only 3D TV content I took the time to watch was some Football. Actual Football, as in Soccer. And it was glorious.

Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13608
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:32 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    shabbs wrote:

The only 3D TV content I took the time to watch was some Football. Actual Football, as in Soccer. And it was glorious.

I watch 3D every day of my life and I don't even need a TV. Vertigo

- Unknown Author
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:47 pm

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    shabbs wrote:

I watch 3D every day of my life and I don't even need a TV. Vertigo

Mind. Blown. Vertigo
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:54 pm

True. And I have, a bit, here. Content's out there but nothing I really want to see. I wouldn't mind getting Avatar but I can't. And we haven't seen How to Train your Dragon so that would be a good fit, but $40 for a friggin' cartoon? I see that Prometheus 3D is available for pre-order -- but it's not here yet.

The problem is with the packaging. It's damn near impossible to buy *just* a blu ray -- they package it with the DVD copy and charge you an extra $10. Sure, $10 for a blu ray is excellent, but then I'm stuck with a $25 DVD I have no need for. Similar thing with the 3D movies -- they have to include both the 3D and 2D discs in the package because, frankly, you don't *always* want to wear glasses to watch a film. When they film a movie specifically for 3D, are there three cameras involved -- left/right for 3D and center for 2D? Or do they use either the left or right for the 2D version? If it's the latter, couldn't they have come up with a scheme where you have a single disc and select to play 2D or 3D as you wish?

shabbs wrote:I think there's one 3D test channel out there right now... outside of that, you're looking at 3D Blu-rays. Do you have a 3D BR player?

I have the PS3, for now. If that ever moves to the basement I'd get a 3D player. Maybe that's how I get Avatar.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:12 pm

On a whim, I decided to check out the Amazon UK site (amazon.co.uk). Typed "3d bluray" in the search bar and I'm seeing much better prices. For example, Despicable Me is 7.97 That price is with VAT added in, which they remove if you are shipping to Canada. Total price, with shipping, is 9.72, which is $15.52 CDN. And you may get away without paying taxes/etc because they usually don't care under $40. By comparison, same movie on Amazon.ca is $29.99 (that's bluray 3d/2d and dvd; the UK one may be just a 3D disc).

But be careful in your searching because this comes up on the first search page, too (NSWF):
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Erotische-Fantasien-Blu-Ray-German-Import/dp/B004YCY2CM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1340557357&sr=8-6

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:17 pm

Of course not all movies are such great deals. How To Train Your Dragon comes in a 3D/2D/DVD pack and ends up being $34.15 -- however that's with shipping and, if you get away without paying duty and taxes is still significantly cheaper.

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20797
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:18 pm

3D is a gimmick.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10049
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:32 pm

Big Ev wrote:3D is a gimmick.

Was was your shtick before? Was it Captain Obvious? I can't remember.

Either way, ya, I don't think you'll get much argument there.
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867

Post by Riprock on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:25 pm

Technically one can argue that surround sound is a gimmick then too, by your opinion. 3D has it's uses, and you don't need it to enjoy a movie, just like you don't NEED "3D" sound to enjoy a movie.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:34 pm

Big Ev wrote:3D is a gimmick.

Yes.

So?

It would still be fun to watch something in 3D once in a while. Especially for the kids. Plus there are some games for the PS3 that are in 3D. And even the ones that are 2D-only the 2D to 3D conversion this set does is not too bad. At least for games. I was watching Twister on the HD movie channel and tried the 3D conversion. Got a very strong "soap opera effect". But it was bad HD to begin with. Tried watching a few minutes of the Lost pilot on Netflix and the same thing -- very strong soap opera effect (lost was done on film and but the 3D conversion looked like it was filmed using a consumer-market video camera). I'll have to check what a good HD source looks like -- I'll try a blu ray tonight -- maybe this is just what fake 3D looks like. It's fine for games but makes film look like video.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:27 am

You'll probably need to play with the settings for a while to get it right. Do you have any calibration DVDs? When I got my Sharp Aquos Quattron, it took me a few weeks to get it just right for my environment. It's unbelievable how many settings there are to go through these days. Crazy tweaking.
    TheAvatar
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2728

Post by TheAvatar on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:12 pm

Riprock wrote:Oh ok, nevermind Netflix doesn't have 3d.

But seriously check out icefilms.info - http://www.icefilms.info/search?q=3d&x=0&y=0&cx=010591583107216882486%3Abafpv02vxuq&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8

I just searched "3d" and that's what came up. They are h-sbs files whatever that is. Only problem is if they are .mkv extension. only way to play those through a ps3 is to stream using a media server IIRC.

Sports Illustrated the Swimsuit Edition - The 3D experience ?!? Sounds like fun !

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:12 pm