Administrator

Number of posts : 48298
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: Got a new 3D TV -- now what?

Post by wprager on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:34 pm

Big Ev wrote:3D is a gimmick.

Yes.

So?

It would still be fun to watch something in 3D once in a while. Especially for the kids. Plus there are some games for the PS3 that are in 3D. And even the ones that are 2D-only the 2D to 3D conversion this set does is not too bad. At least for games. I was watching Twister on the HD movie channel and tried the 3D conversion. Got a very strong "soap opera effect". But it was bad HD to begin with. Tried watching a few minutes of the Lost pilot on Netflix and the same thing -- very strong soap opera effect (lost was done on film and but the 3D conversion looked like it was filmed using a consumer-market video camera). I'll have to check what a good HD source looks like -- I'll try a blu ray tonight -- maybe this is just what fake 3D looks like. It's fine for games but makes film look like video.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:27 am

You'll probably need to play with the settings for a while to get it right. Do you have any calibration DVDs? When I got my Sharp Aquos Quattron, it took me a few weeks to get it just right for my environment. It's unbelievable how many settings there are to go through these days. Crazy tweaking.

TheAvatar
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2728

Post by TheAvatar on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:12 pm

Riprock wrote:Oh ok, nevermind Netflix doesn't have 3d.

But seriously check out icefilms.info - http://www.icefilms.info/search?q=3d&x=0&y=0&cx=010591583107216882486%3Abafpv02vxuq&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8

I just searched "3d" and that's what came up. They are h-sbs files whatever that is. Only problem is if they are .mkv extension. only way to play those through a ps3 is to stream using a media server IIRC.

Sports Illustrated the Swimsuit Edition - The 3D experience ?!? Sounds like fun !
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867
    Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by Riprock on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:49 pm

3DD
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Post by shabbs on Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:07 pm

Riprock wrote:3DD
    Don't hassle the Hof...

Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867

Post by Riprock on Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:33 pm

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:47 pm

shabbs wrote:You'll probably need to play with the settings for a while to get it right. Do you have any calibration DVDs? When I got my Sharp Aquos Quattron, it took me a few weeks to get it just right for my environment. It's unbelievable how many settings there are to go through these days. Crazy tweaking.

In a pinch, there's always the Star Wars discs (THX Calibration). But I also have DVI (on DVD and HD_DVD Sad ) and there are posts on AVSForums.com that list the settings from an ISF calibration. I'll have to get into the service menu first, though. The python program didn't work. Just read that any old universal remote with a PiP button would work.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:48 pm

TheAvatar wrote:
    Sports Illustrated the Swimsuit Edition - The 3D experience ?!? Sounds like fun !

Yep, saw that one. Not very expensive, either.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16491
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:34 am

wprager wrote:
    Big Ev wrote:3D is a gimmick.

Yes.

So?

It would still be fun to watch something in 3D once in a while. Especially for the kids. Plus there are some games for the PS3 that are in 3D. And even the ones that are 2D-only the 2D to 3D conversion this set does is not too bad. At least for games. I was watching Twister on the HD movie channel and tried the 3D conversion. Got a very strong "soap opera effect". But it was bad HD to begin with. Tried watching a few minutes of the Lost pilot on Netflix and the same thing -- very strong soap opera effect (lost was done on film and but the 3D conversion looked like it was filmed using a consumer-market video camera). I'll have to check what a good HD source looks like -- I'll try a blu ray tonight -- maybe this is just what fake 3D looks like. It's fine for games but makes film look like video.

There is a setting to adjust to eliminate the "soap opera" effect, but I can't remember what it's called. Some Googling will rectify that issue for you.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:12 pm

It's the TruMotion setting. Or I should say it *was* the TruMotion setting. The manual (hardcopy) didn't have instructions on any of the calibrations, and the one on the CD looked identical to it, so I didn't bother going through it. Then I realized that the ToC on the CD said 18x pages while the printed one was probably 80 pages total -- English plus French. So I went back and found more stuff.

I also managed to the the Python program working to get to the service menu (the TV is on the home network and the program locates the TV -- this is one of the parts that wasn't working, but I just hard-coded the IP address in the program -- connects to it and then sends the necessary codes to enter/exit various service menus.

So last night I figured out how to fix it, and today I went into the service menu and turned up all the high-end stuff. Then I went to the expert mode settings and entered the values that were posted in a forum from an ISF calibration (two of them, actually -- there are two ISF Expert modes). In addition to those two, the service menu hack unlocked two pre-set ones (THX Cinema and THX Brightroom). Also there is a Game setting, which is the only one in which I left TruMotion on. And I also discovered that when you do 2D-to-3D conversion it is yet another mode that can (must?) be calibrated. I set it up closely to one of the ISF calibrations, but with the backlight at 100 (since the 3D uses polarization you lose brightness so crank up the backlight while leaving the rest as in the other modes).

Anyhow, this is a very nice TV, even if the menu system is not designed very well (to get to the Setup menu I have to press Home, then down twice, then right, then hit the OK button).

Playing online content (some 3D demos) you really need so mething better than wifi. I was thinking of setting up a wired LAN using the electrical wiring, but I've been told without the proper noise filters you won't get any better access speed than you do with wifi.

Netflix is fine (I use low-quality) but the boys tried it out and went back to using the PS3. Apparently it does a better job (I don't really know what their problem was).

There are other apps but I haven't had time to check them out.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:14 pm

Oh, forgot to say that one of the apps is the NHL online thing. I watched the highlights of game 6 and it wasn't bad. It was HD, for sure, but certainly not 30 fps. Not sure if I'd be willing to pay for this but it's certainly better than streaming on my PC. Now, of course, that was not a live event, so who knows what the quality is on those.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:19 am

Yeah, for streaming HD content through your network, you'll really want a wired network connection. I've never tried the powerline network equipment, so I don't know how well that works.

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying your new toy. There's not much better than a big, beautiful TV.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:06 pm

tim1_2 wrote:There's not much better than a big, beautiful TV.
    I agree, as I settle into my couch in front of my 70" Sharp AQUOS Quattron HDTV to watch the EURO 2012 semifinal between Germany and Italy.

StickmanDancing
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:19 pm

shabbs wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:There's not much better than a big, beautiful TV.
    I agree, as I settle into my couch in front of my 70" Sharp AQUOS Quattron HDTV to watch the EURO 2012 semifinal between Germany and Italy.

As Shabbs settles into his La-z Boy, picks up his large-button remote, which was hidden under his large-print edition of Reader's Digest. See, my eyes are still pretty good and I don't yet need 70".

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:21 pm

I figured out what the boys found wrong with Netflix. The video settings for the apps must have TruMotion set to high. I haven't figured out how (if?) I can disable it. When I play, say, Being Human using Netflix on PS3 it looks like a movie -- film. When I play the same using the TV set's Netflix app it looks like Cornation Street.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:27 pm

Usually most people disable TruMotion on these TVs. Makes the picture looks way weird.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:20 pm

shabbs wrote:Usually most people disable TruMotion on these TVs. Makes the picture looks way weird.

Yeah..my buddy leaves his on, and it drives me insane. I don't know how anything is watchable with that crap feature turned on.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:24 pm

Disabled it on mine too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:27 am