Got a new 3D TV -- now what?

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Re: Got a new 3D TV -- now what?

Post by shabbs on Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:27 pm

Usually most people disable TruMotion on these TVs. Makes the picture looks way weird.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16491
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:20 pm

shabbs wrote:Usually most people disable TruMotion on these TVs. Makes the picture looks way weird.

Yeah..my buddy leaves his on, and it drives me insane. I don't know how anything is watchable with that crap feature turned on.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:24 pm

Disabled it on mine too.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48298
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:10 pm

shabbs wrote:Disabled it on mine too.

I can disable it in a specific video mode (I have plenty of modes -- Standard, Game, ISF Expert 1&2, THX Cinema, THX Brightroom and another one or two I don't remember). But when I'm watching Netflix and click the QuickMenu button (which lets me select the video mode) nothing happens.

Of all the video modes I have I disabled TruMotion in everything except Game, and yet it appears to be on for Netflix. I'll try disabling it for Game mode but I really doubt that's what is used for the Smart TV apps.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:58 pm

OK, I figured out how to disable TruMotion for Netflix. But for some reason it still looks worse (noisier) than the PS3. Maybe I'm just remembering when I first did the comparison, and I was using the highest quality setting in Neflix. Not sure, but at least TruMotion is gone.

I also disabled it for playing videos from a USB stick, and that is huge for me. When I d/l a torrent and a subtitles file, as long as I have both files with the same name (just different extension) the TV will automatically grab the subtitles (as do most s/w players on your PC, if not all). For some reason the PS3 doesn't do that -- I used to have to run a different utility to combine the .avi and .srt files into a single video file with subtitles on. Now I just use the TV to play it back. Sweet.

Really enjoying my set now. If only I could get some 3D content to really put it through its paces.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24783
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:02 pm

Playback can be tricky for sure. I have problems with the PS3 where there will be no sound. I have a Western Digital media player too and never have any problems.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:41 am

I played back a couple of .mkv videos on my TV. I remember reading how this is not quite so straightforward on the PS3.

Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867

Post by Riprock on Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:05 am

Yeah, you need the media server for your computer to talk to your PS3 and stream off of your computer the downloaded file. The File can't be physically on your PS3, or via USB.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:05 am

Hey, can anyone recommend someone in the Kanata area to do some cable/wiring work for me? I want to install my TV above the fireplace (just sitting on the mantle, no wall bracket). I need to move the cable from the other side of the room, plus also run a power cord (or two -- for the eventual soundbar) up to the mantle. The components will be sitting on a bench to the right, so some more cables (a couple HDMI cables, the PS3 "eye" thingie). Obviously I'd want to hide all the cables (either run them behind the wall or install a cable conduit that can be painted same colour as the wall). I'd prefer someone who has experience in home theatre installation to maybe give me some ideas.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Post by shabbs on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:31 am

wprager wrote:Hey, can anyone recommend someone in the Kanata area to do some cable/wiring work for me? I want to install my TV above the fireplace (just sitting on the mantle, no wall bracket). I need to move the cable from the other side of the room, plus also run a power cord (or two -- for the eventual soundbar) up to the mantle. The components will be sitting on a bench to the right, so some more cables (a couple HDMI cables, the PS3 "eye" thingie). Obviously I'd want to hide all the cables (either run them behind the wall or install a cable conduit that can be painted same colour as the wall). I'd prefer someone who has experience in home theatre installation to maybe give me some ideas.
    http://moorhousehome.ca/

http://www.sigav.com/
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:43 am

Thanks, Shabbs, but this is going to be a small job (certainly by Signature's standards -- the Moorhouse looks like a smaller place). I'd prefer "a guy" from Kanata or nearby. We're talking about:
    1. Run cable from other side of room (might be easiest to run it on the ceiling in the basement, then to an outlet on the back wall above the mantle)
    2. Run power up to the mantle (just like cable, probably easy enough to have it in the same outlet as the cable).
    3. Cable conduit to hide the HDMI and PS3 "eye" going from the component stand up (through?) to the mantle.

The "guy" would likely have to come in the first time just to assess the situation and offer suggestions.

I guess Richmod isn't too far away. I'll give them a call.

Thanks.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:28 pm

Picked up "Captain America" 3D blu-ray at Costco for $25. Haven't seen the movie and heard it wasn't bad. Still waiting for Avatar, of course. They had a few others at $25 (Thor), some at $28 (PotC On Strange Tides) -- I don't remember all the titles. $25 is pushing it for me. Movie is a couple years old now, isn't it? But at least I hadn't seen it. $28 for PotC or Alice in Wonderland is ridiculous.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Post by shabbs on Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:01 pm

$25 for Captain America? Man. Now that was a waste of money.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:09 pm

shabbs wrote:$25 for Captain America? Man. Now that was a waste of money.

I took the whole family to see The Avengers in the theatre. Cost me a lot more than $25. Didn't call it a waste of money though. I heard Captain America had a decent story. It was better than Thor (still don't understand how they got Portman in it).

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:13 am

wprager wrote:Hey, can anyone recommend someone in the Kanata area to do some cable/wiring work for me? I want to install my TV above the fireplace (just sitting on the mantle, no wall bracket). I need to move the cable from the other side of the room, plus also run a power cord (or two -- for the eventual soundbar) up to the mantle. The components will be sitting on a bench to the right, so some more cables (a couple HDMI cables, the PS3 "eye" thingie). Obviously I'd want to hide all the cables (either run them behind the wall or install a cable conduit that can be painted same colour as the wall). I'd prefer someone who has experience in home theatre installation to maybe give me some ideas.

I don't know anyone specifically who can do the work, but obviously the nicest solution is to have all the wiring in the wall, with a new power outlet behind where the TV will be going. Then you'd also want the HDMI/any other cables (ethernet/whatever) run in the wall too. Then you're looking at all the drywall patchup work that would result (this is the pain-in-the-Donkey part if you ask me).

This will be a lot more expensive than just getting some cable conduit and painting it the wall colour.

Did you have a rough budget in mind for this setup? What's your do-it-yourself comfort level? Maybe all you would need done "professionally" is the installation of the power outlet above the fireplace?

Another question, how do you plan on "sitting" your TV on the mantle? I know the base for my TV wouldn't fit on my mantle...and I wouldn't want to just kind of prop it up there.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:57 am

It's a big mantle. I measured everything before hand. The very front of the mantle is wide-enough for the TV plus 4" on either side. Then the mantle actually gets a little wider before it reaches the walls and starts getting narrower. Now, the stand extends out in front of the TV by a few inches so the TV cannot sit flush with the front edge of the mantle but, like I said, the mantle gets even wider. I don't have all the measurements, unfortunately but I'm pretty sure it will fit fine.

The only thing I am not sure about at this point is where the soundbar will go. I can find a sound bar with a low-enough profile that it can sit in front and not obstruct the view. Problem is the stand extends out, like I mentioned. Will there be enough clearance to place the soundbar in front of the stand? Maybe I can raise the soundbar (with rubber feet) so that it clears the stand (the stand is low-profile), but that could raise it high enough to obstruct the picture. Or maybe I'll have to place the soundbar on the back wall above the tv, or hang it under the mantle.

Lots of questions that I can't answer until I put it up there an do some actual measurements with the soundbars I have in mind. I might even have to raise the TV (by adding "stuff" under the stand).

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:33 am

wprager wrote:Lots of questions that I can't answer until I put it up there an do some actual measurements with the soundbars I have in mind. I might even have to raise the TV (by adding "stuff" under the stand).

It sounds like your best (and easiest) solution may be to have the TV raised a little with a custom-built riser that the soundbar can fit underneath, sitting right on the mantle. To get something that looks nice and is fits your need perfectly, you may need the help of a professional wood-worker.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:17 am

Oh, as for budget, I definitely won't go over $500, including any cables required. There should not need to be much drywall work apart from cutting out a hole to match a template, then installing a recessed TV box like this one. Note: there are many similar ones with all kinds of different cables supported, including some with multiple HDMI cables. There is even this one, which includes two power outlets and a single opening for a bunch of cables:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:15 am