Got a new 3D TV -- now what?

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47377
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: Got a new 3D TV -- now what?

Post by wprager on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:57 am

It's a big mantle. I measured everything before hand. The very front of the mantle is wide-enough for the TV plus 4" on either side. Then the mantle actually gets a little wider before it reaches the walls and starts getting narrower. Now, the stand extends out in front of the TV by a few inches so the TV cannot sit flush with the front edge of the mantle but, like I said, the mantle gets even wider. I don't have all the measurements, unfortunately but I'm pretty sure it will fit fine.

The only thing I am not sure about at this point is where the soundbar will go. I can find a sound bar with a low-enough profile that it can sit in front and not obstruct the view. Problem is the stand extends out, like I mentioned. Will there be enough clearance to place the soundbar in front of the stand? Maybe I can raise the soundbar (with rubber feet) so that it clears the stand (the stand is low-profile), but that could raise it high enough to obstruct the picture. Or maybe I'll have to place the soundbar on the back wall above the tv, or hang it under the mantle.

Lots of questions that I can't answer until I put it up there an do some actual measurements with the soundbars I have in mind. I might even have to raise the TV (by adding "stuff" under the stand).

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16067
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:33 am

wprager wrote:Lots of questions that I can't answer until I put it up there an do some actual measurements with the soundbars I have in mind. I might even have to raise the TV (by adding "stuff" under the stand).

It sounds like your best (and easiest) solution may be to have the TV raised a little with a custom-built riser that the soundbar can fit underneath, sitting right on the mantle. To get something that looks nice and is fits your need perfectly, you may need the help of a professional wood-worker.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:17 am

Oh, as for budget, I definitely won't go over $500, including any cables required. There should not need to be much drywall work apart from cutting out a hole to match a template, then installing a recessed TV box like this one. Note: there are many similar ones with all kinds of different cables supported, including some with multiple HDMI cables. There is even this one, which includes two power outlets and a single opening for a bunch of cables:

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by tim1_2 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:40 am

wprager wrote:Oh, as for budget, I definitely won't go over $500, including any cables required. There should not need to be much drywall work apart from cutting out a hole to match a template, then installing a recessed TV box like this one. Note: there are many similar ones with all kinds of different cables supported, including some with multiple HDMI cables. There is even this one, which includes two power outlets and a single opening for a bunch of cables:

For cables and A/V accessories, always buy through Monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/

Never buy cables at a place like Future Shop or Best Buy.

Case and point:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3992&seq=1&format=2

vs

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/rocketfish-rocketfish-1-8m-6-ft-hdmi-cable-rf-g1167-rf-g1167/10170580.aspx?path=6cd422b454c181630095728163ca6b25en02
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24717
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:43 am

Here are the materials your contractor will need:

Milk crates

scrap wood

End.
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867

Post by Riprock on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:23 pm

My brother buys everything through monoprice - cables ,speakers, headphones....
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:31 pm

Riprock wrote:My brother buys everything through monoprice - cables ,speakers, headphones....

I think my entire home theater runs through Monoprice cables. And I have a Monoprice HDMI switch and a wall-mount...everything works great. I also get toner and ink cartridges through Monoprice...oh, and Ipad/Ipod screen protectors, cases....yeah, they sell a huge variety of stuff and prices so low you'll think it's illegal.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:36 pm

My last HDMI cable was purchased on Amazon.ca (well, *through* amazon.ca). The price, including shipping, was comparable to monoprice.

I also saw twin 9' HDMI cables at the Kanata Costco for $20, less $5 or more discount.

I actually prefer the HDMI cable I bought on Amazon.ca to the one I bought from monoprice -- the old one is way too thick and inflexible. It's already been partially responsible for breaking off the HDMI connector on my old up-scaling DVD player -- the weight and inflexibility of the cable put a lot of stress on the connector.

And, no, I have not had any issues whatsoever with the thinner cable.

Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Riprock on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:58 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    Riprock wrote:My brother buys everything through monoprice - cables ,speakers, headphones....

I think my entire home theater runs through Monoprice cables. And I have a Monoprice HDMI switch and a wall-mount...everything works great. I also get toner and ink cartridges through Monoprice...oh, and Ipad/Ipod screen protectors, cases....yeah, they sell a huge variety of stuff and prices so low you'll think it's illegal.

Yeah IIRC he got his wall-mount, in-wall speakers, HMDI cables, speaker cable (?), mini-HDMI-to-HDMI connector for Macbook pro, over-the-ear DJ style headphones, etc.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:39 pm

OK, two days now since I sent off the e-mail to moorehouse.com and no reply.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:43 pm

wprager wrote:OK, two days now since I sent off the e-mail to moorehouse.com and no reply.
    Phone usually works better with this type of work...

Phone: 613-216-9684

And if you used that web site for the email... it may be the wrong one... Wink

http://moorhousehome.ca/
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:46 pm

wprager wrote:OK, two days now since I sent off the e-mail to moorehouse.com and no reply.

If I were you, I'd check UsedOttawa and Kijiji for small home theater installers...you'd likely have better luck and save money.

A preliminary search on usedottawa.com yielded this guy:

http://www.avexpert.ca/
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24717
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:34 pm

tim1_2 wrote:

Monoprice eh?
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:01 pm

All my audio/video cables are from Monoprice. Great quality stuff and very good prices.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:59 pm

shabbs wrote:All my audio/video cables are from Monoprice. Great quality stuff and very good prices.

Their HDMI cable put my LG up-converting player to an early death. True story.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:58 pm

wprager wrote:
    shabbs wrote:All my audio/video cables are from Monoprice. Great quality stuff and very good prices.

I find that hard to believe... what happened?
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20610
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:01 pm

amazon is a good place for cables and such. I think it was like $5 for my HDMI cables
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Riprock on Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:33 pm

shabbs wrote:
    wprager wrote:

I find that hard to believe... what happened?

Oh, ok, so it wasn't just me

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 23, 2017 8:29 am