WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

    Share

    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

    Number of posts : 31416
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

    Post by shabbs on Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:39 pm

    Dreger had some interesting info today:

    http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=401000

    "General manager David Poile and the Predators were given a heads up that Weber would be signing an offer sheet and were given the chance to make a trade before the process was completed. Several other NHL teams made a pitch for the First Team All-Star, but the stakes proved too high."

    Fascinating.

    Poile wanted Sean Couturier and Brayden Schenn in a trade. I guess Philly said FU, we'll offer sheet the crap out of him then.

    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54103
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

    Post by PTFlea on Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:11 pm

    shabbs wrote:Dreger had some interesting info today:

    http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=401000

    "General manager David Poile and the Predators were given a heads up that Weber would be signing an offer sheet and were given the chance to make a trade before the process was completed. Several other NHL teams made a pitch for the First Team All-Star, but the stakes proved too high."

    Fascinating.

    Poile wanted Sean Couturier and Brayden Schenn in a trade. I guess Philly said FU, we'll offer sheet the crap out of him then.

    Done. Couturier and Schenn for Weber? Done a thousand times over if I'm Holmgren. Then Weber's mine...all mine.

    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10035
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

    Post by spader on Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:05 am

    rooneypoo wrote:
    Amnesia021 wrote:
    hemlock wrote:
    Hoags wrote:I bet Nashville sends some of the draft picks back to Philly in a pre-arranged trade so they don't have to pay Weber insane $$ but they get something back other than draft picks, it's happened before.

    When has it happened?

    Chris Gratton in 97 is one that i read about. They wouldn't actually be trading weber for anything, instead the preds could trade to philly some or all of philly's picks for players/prospects.

    I've heard of players signing deals and the original teams not paying and so losing the player, but I'm pretty sure the original team can't turn around and trade a player after he's signed an offer sheet. The contract is binding, and the process is, I think, not override-able -- the only thing left to be sorted out is who is going to be paying the stipulated salary, NSH or PHI. NSH would have to wait a year to move Weber, if they match.

    I think you're misunderstanding, Dr. Poo. No one is suggesting that Nashville trades Weber. The idea is that Nashville doesn't match and takes the picks, then trades a pick (or multiple picks) back to Philly for a different piece. That's basically what happened with the Gratton O/S. TB wouldn't match (the offer was pretty silly for a player of that caliber) and they ended up trading both FRPs back to Philly for other players.

    avatar
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

    Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

    Post by shabbs on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:47 am

    SpezDispenser wrote:
    shabbs wrote:Dreger had some interesting info today:

    http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=401000

    "General manager David Poile and the Predators were given a heads up that Weber would be signing an offer sheet and were given the chance to make a trade before the process was completed. Several other NHL teams made a pitch for the First Team All-Star, but the stakes proved too high."

    Fascinating.

    Poile wanted Sean Couturier and Brayden Schenn in a trade. I guess Philly said FU, we'll offer sheet the crap out of him then.

    Done. Couturier and Schenn for Weber? Done a thousand times over if I'm Holmgren. Then Weber's mine...all mine.
    I guess it was too rich for Holmgren. Now he wants them all!!!! Mou hou hou hou ha ha ha ha ha ha!
    avatar
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

    Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

    Post by shabbs on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:58 am

    Some more updates, nothing major...

    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=401032

    The Suter contract apparently triggered this.

    Via his agent: "He doesn't want to go through a rebuilding process again."

    Where have we heard that before? Wink
    avatar
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7422
    Age : 37
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

    Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

    Post by rooneypoo on Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:47 am

    shabbs wrote:Some more updates, nothing major...

    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=401032

    The Suter contract apparently triggered this.

    Via his agent: "He doesn't want to go through a rebuilding process again."

    Where have we heard that before? Wink

    Don't buy it. This is about getting paid. If he wanted out of NSH, the last thing he should have done is sign an offer sheet -- he may well have just become a Pred for life.

    NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 20732
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

    Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

    Post by NEELY on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:05 am

    All about money, not about loyalty or w/e else. You can put you life on it that the offer he got from Philly, money wise, is double or more from what he got from Nashville.

    He would be stupid to turn down 50 million dollars. STUPID. That's 50 million Cussing dollars.
    avatar
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

    Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

    Post by shabbs on Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:44 am

    rooneypoo wrote:
    shabbs wrote:Some more updates, nothing major...

    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=401032

    The Suter contract apparently triggered this.

    Via his agent: "He doesn't want to go through a rebuilding process again."

    Where have we heard that before? Wink

    Don't buy it. This is about getting paid. If he wanted out of NSH, the last thing he should have done is sign an offer sheet -- he may well have just become a Pred for life.
    His agent is working overtime to support his client, which is his job. I think Weber is gambling that Nash doesn't match. And if they match, he probably is not too worried cuz he's getting paid yo.

    If Preds don't match: "I'm so happy to be a Flyer, and to be a part of a winning team that has a chance at the Cup."
    If Preds do match: "I'm so happy to be a Pred for life, this is where I want to stay and continue our quest for the Cup."

    Heh. Spin spin spin!
    avatar
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 9235
    Age : 40
    Location : Mississauga
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

    Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

    Post by Hoags on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:07 am

    http://www.crossingbroad.com/2012/07/shea-weber-will-likely-collect-all-of-the-predators-ticket-revenue-next-season-if-they-match-the-fly.html

    One of the reasons the Predators will be so hard-pressed to match the offer is the upfront money. Weber is due $27 million in the next 12 months, $41 million in the next 24 months, and $56 million over the first four seasons of the 14-year, $110 million deal. We broke it down earlier, but almost all of that $56 million is guaranteed signing bonus money, which is due to Weber whether there is a lockout or not. That is a lot of coin for the team ranked 27th in the league in value by Forbes to match

    I don't think they can afford it
    avatar
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

    Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

    Post by shabbs on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:31 am

    Shelling out $27M in the next 12 months is gonna hurt... but they gotta take the pill. Match that Dung.

    And if there's a lockout, that's gonna really hurt.
    avatar
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 9235
    Age : 40
    Location : Mississauga
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

    Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

    Post by Hoags on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:42 am

    shabbs wrote:Shelling out $27M in the next 12 months is gonna hurt... but they gotta take the pill. Match that Dung.

    $27M is higher (or awfully close) to their gate receipts. Pretty much all their ticket revenue will go for paying Weber's salary.
    avatar
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

    Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

    Post by shabbs on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:50 am

    Hoags wrote:
    shabbs wrote:Shelling out $27M in the next 12 months is gonna hurt... but they gotta take the pill. Match that Dung.

    $27M is higher (or awfully close) to their gate receipts. Pretty much all their ticket revenue will go for paying Weber's salary.
    Yeah, heard that yesterday... but Poile said they were prepared to shell out for Suter and Weber... so, time to put the $$$ where the mouth is...
    avatar
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 9235
    Age : 40
    Location : Mississauga
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

    Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

    Post by Hoags on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:09 am

    shabbs wrote:
    Yeah, heard that yesterday... but Poile said they were prepared to shell out for Suter and Weber... so, time to put the $$$ where the mouth is...

    It's probably all talk, I mean is he supposed to say that they can't afford it ? GMs always say they will match any offer sheet.

    I doubt Poile's offer to Suter was as frontloaded as this, with a lockout looming this is now more complicated..

    They're SOL if they don't match but I think there's legitimate questions whether they can really afford it.

    Or if they do match it, how much $$$ will be left to fill out the rest of their roster ?
    avatar
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

    Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

    Post by shabbs on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:28 am

    It's like a soap opera... Wink
    avatar
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

    Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

    Post by shabbs on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:04 pm

    Saw this last night... an interesting case of deja vu with Poile and Scott Stevens... he let Stevens go to an offer sheet and has always said it was the wrong decision. Which, everyone agrees with looking back now.

    http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/07/20/shea_weber_offer_sheet_nashville_predators_scott_stevens_poile/

    I'm sure this is playing huge in his mind...
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54103
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

    Post by PTFlea on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:16 pm

    I think we can all agree letting Weber go would be a massive mistake.
    avatar
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 11867
    Age : 33
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

    Post by Riprock on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:48 pm

    While I have no idea what the right decision is for the team, based on every possible consideration, I just have a few impartial thoughts:

    If the team (as in owner) simply cannot afford it, it's kind of unfair to make him.

    It also raises the question that if a team's owner refuses to pay to keep his team competitive, keep his players happy, and most of all, keep it's best players, does he deserve to still own a team?

    It would be one thing if all teams could afford to spend to the floor without losing money, and another thing if the players didn't need extra financial incentive to stay.

    On the other hand, is it fair to the city and fans to not keep him? If the team can't afford its best player and its captain as is, how do they plan on making money without him? His loss could have a huge effect on the team's financial well being.

    Is it fair to Weber to want to stay after the team loses one of it's other faces?

    There are so many perspectives to this situation, and I have no idea what the right decision is.

    I don't think 4 first round picks are enough to even start to try and replace the loss of Weber. Weber is a really good player. He's hard to replace, and worth every dollar. Philly had to overpay slightly to make it hard for Nashville to match.

    Looking back, the offer sheet that Edmonton signed Penner to, sent the Ducks 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks in 2008. Hardly the same situation, considering the price is much different, and Penner, while a good player for Anaheim and pretty important to their cup win, is and was not in hindsight worth it.

    Those picks ultimately turned into:

    - Tyler Myers (Edmonton's pick was sent to Anaheim, who traded it to LA, who traded it to Buffalo)
    - Justin Schultz (ironic)
    - Kiril Petrov (NYI via ANA/EDM)

    Edmonton's 1st round pick in '08 was Eberle.
    avatar
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 9235
    Age : 40
    Location : Mississauga
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

    Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

    Post by Hoags on Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:05 pm

    Riprock wrote:
    It also raises the question that if a team's owner refuses to pay to keep his team competitive, keep his players happy, and most of all, keep it's best players, does he deserve to still own a team?

    How much is too much ? Where do you draw the line ? Do you think Melnyk could afford that offer sheet ?

    Every owner has a breaking point somewhere, unless you are one of the top revenue teams in the league.

    The whole point of the last lockout was to level the playing field so that teams like Nashville could afford to be competitive.

    Sponsored content

    Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:08 am