GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 15]

91WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS! - Page 7 Empty Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS! on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:16 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I think we can all agree letting Weber go would be a massive mistake.

92WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS! - Page 7 Empty Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS! on Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:48 pm

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star
While I have no idea what the right decision is for the team, based on every possible consideration, I just have a few impartial thoughts:

If the team (as in owner) simply cannot afford it, it's kind of unfair to make him.

It also raises the question that if a team's owner refuses to pay to keep his team competitive, keep his players happy, and most of all, keep it's best players, does he deserve to still own a team?

It would be one thing if all teams could afford to spend to the floor without losing money, and another thing if the players didn't need extra financial incentive to stay.

On the other hand, is it fair to the city and fans to not keep him? If the team can't afford its best player and its captain as is, how do they plan on making money without him? His loss could have a huge effect on the team's financial well being.

Is it fair to Weber to want to stay after the team loses one of it's other faces?

There are so many perspectives to this situation, and I have no idea what the right decision is.

I don't think 4 first round picks are enough to even start to try and replace the loss of Weber. Weber is a really good player. He's hard to replace, and worth every dollar. Philly had to overpay slightly to make it hard for Nashville to match.

Looking back, the offer sheet that Edmonton signed Penner to, sent the Ducks 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks in 2008. Hardly the same situation, considering the price is much different, and Penner, while a good player for Anaheim and pretty important to their cup win, is and was not in hindsight worth it.

Those picks ultimately turned into:

- Tyler Myers (Edmonton's pick was sent to Anaheim, who traded it to LA, who traded it to Buffalo)
- Justin Schultz (ironic)
- Kiril Petrov (NYI via ANA/EDM)

Edmonton's 1st round pick in '08 was Eberle.

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star
Riprock wrote:
It also raises the question that if a team's owner refuses to pay to keep his team competitive, keep his players happy, and most of all, keep it's best players, does he deserve to still own a team?

How much is too much ? Where do you draw the line ? Do you think Melnyk could afford that offer sheet ?

Every owner has a breaking point somewhere, unless you are one of the top revenue teams in the league.

The whole point of the last lockout was to level the playing field so that teams like Nashville could afford to be competitive.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
See I don't know, I don't think anyone can answer that question except the owners.

Every year the cap has gone up and as it does, so does the max salaries.

It's the players that are the ones dictating how much money. Sidney Crosby could have come out and signed for $6M - he didn't. And of Pittsburgh didn't pay, someone else would - and that is also a problem.

I'd be pissed if my team's owner refused to pay to keep a player - especially if they can afford it.

Amnesia021

Amnesia021
Rookie
Rookie
Riprock wrote:

Those picks ultimately turned into:

- Tyler Myers (Edmonton's pick was sent to Anaheim, who traded it to LA, who traded it to Buffalo)
- Justin Schultz (ironic)
- Kiril Petrov (NYI via ANA/EDM)

Edmonton's 1st round pick in '08 was Eberle.

To take it all the way out to the current (cause I'm a nerd)

(if i'm not mistaken) As a result of all the subsequent trading, the ducks ultimately ended up with:

Beauchemin, Luca Caputi and Brandon Mcmillan

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It's an easy call to make when it's not your own money being spent. Heh heh. Poile is gonna have to sell it to ownership if he wants them to match. Not an easy sell with a lockout looming and all...

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
You also don't know if matching would call for an increase in ticket prices to help recoup some of the costs. If they did that, ticket sales might take a hit. If they can't afford it, they are going to have to take the picks. Even matching with intent to trade a year later means they are on the hook for, what, like $14M?

What could 4 firsts get them?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
$27M will be dolled out by the time July 1st rolls around next year. Trading him after 1 year would be insane.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I continue to strongly believe that the more times goes by, the more likely an offer sheet is to Kane and Benn, especially Benn. The more I thought about it last night, the more I wondered why Benn wasn't in for a big offer sheet already - like a 70 million, 10 year deal.

Anyone who's watched him knows he's a great player.

100WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS! - Page 7 Empty Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS! on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:08 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Would love to see a flurry of offer sheets create total havoc. GMs all yelling at each other and pissing each other off.... I say this because our key RFA is locked up! Wink heh heh

101WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS! - Page 7 Empty Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS! on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:35 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
Well GMs I think use offer sheets as a last resort - like apparently Holmgren made attempts to tarde for Weber's rights, and the asking price was too much, so he threatened submitting offer sheet and ended up doing it.

I really don't think any team WANTS to give up 4 1st round picks - but hey, if you can get a good guy and you are a consistent playoff contender, why not.

The other example is Burke/TOR and Boston - they could have signed Kessel to an offer sheet (right?), but Burke decided to trade picks for him. Either way, BOS would have gotten picks. Going off of this: http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=34760 - TOR would have only had to send a 1st, 2nd and 3rd - instead, they gave up two 1sts and a 2nd, but Burke stuck to his "integrity" (agree or disagree, he stood by his anti-offer sheet sentiment).

Now, for example, OTT could very well do the same with WIN and tell them they would like Kane, and are prepared to present an offer sheet as a last resort. However, Winnipeg would surely match, and Ottawa open themselves to retaliation. Teams have lots of ways to protect themselves, like not allowing RFAs to go unsigned beyond JUL 1.

102WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS! - Page 7 Empty Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS! on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:35 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star
shabbs wrote:Would love to see a flurry of offer sheets create total havoc. GMs all yelling at each other and pissing each other off.... I say this because our key RFA is locked up! Wink heh heh

I'd be Dung bricks if he wasn't.

103WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS! - Page 7 Empty Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS! on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:42 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Riprock wrote:Now, for example, OTT could very well do the same with WIN and tell them they would like Kane, and are prepared to present an offer sheet as a last resort. However, Winnipeg would surely match, and Ottawa open themselves to retaliation. Teams have lots of ways to protect themselves, like not allowing RFAs to go unsigned beyond JUL 1.

Pfft, retaliation is non existent, it's well within the rules.

Personally, I want Benn. Let's do it! Ahhhhh!

104WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS! - Page 7 Empty Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS! on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:44 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
Within the rules, yes, but if you lift the lid off that pot, you can be sure what goes around, comes around. And of course, that doesn't mean a team won't strike first. That said, I can't see Murray doing that.

105WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS! - Page 7 Empty Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS! on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:50 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star
SpezDispenser wrote:

When has retaliation ever happened ? Has Chicago offer sheeted SJ for their offer to Hammer ?

I don't think we're in a position to give up multiple 1st rounders.

Weber is a unique situation where he'd want to leave Nashville given what's happened, and a huge poison pill offer sheet might not be matched by ownership. I can't think of any other RFA where you could conceive the possibility of the other team not matching.

Besdies, cheapskate Melnyk would never hand out that much money at once.

106WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS! - Page 7 Empty Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS! on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:52 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Hoags wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

When has retaliation ever happened ? Has Chicago offer sheeted SJ for their offer to Hammer ?

Weber is a unique situation where he'd want to leave Nashville given what's happened, and a huge poison pill offer sheet might not be matched by ownership. I can't think of any other RFA where you could conceive the possibility of the other team not matching.

Precisely.

107WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS! - Page 7 Empty Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS! on Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:51 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star
Hoags wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

First of all, you should be asking me, not Spez, I am the one who said that a team might retaliate with an offer sheet of their against a team that got to them.

And finally, it has happened. On July 1, 2008, Vancouver signed David Backes to an offer sheet. A week later, St. Louis signed Steve Bernier to an offer sheet.

108WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS! - Page 7 Empty Re: WEBER SIGNS 14 YEAR OFFER SHEET WITH FLYERS! on Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:23 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Hoags wrote:
shabbs wrote:
Yeah, heard that yesterday... but Poile said they were prepared to shell out for Suter and Weber... so, time to put the $$$ where the mouth is...

It's probably all talk, I mean is he supposed to say that they can't afford it ? GMs always say they will match any offer sheet.

I doubt Poile's offer to Suter was as frontloaded as this, with a lockout looming this is now more complicated..

They're SOL if they don't match but I think there's legitimate questions whether they can really afford it.

Or if they do match it, how much $$$ will be left to fill out the rest of their roster ?

Has the contract even been approved by the NHL? Last two seasons are $1M each is a clear attempt to circumvent the cap as there is no way he will play for $1M with $100+ in the bank when he is 39/40. First four seasons he's getting the bulk of it paid up July 1. Insane.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next