General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by spader on Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:23 am

shabbs wrote:
    spader wrote:
    shabbs wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:Yeah, sounds like it's done, Semin to Carolina for 1 year. Diddle, why can't we have him for one year? Why?
    I for one am GLAD we didn't sign him.

Head case averted.

Agreed. I'd rather see what Silf/Stone/ZBad can do.
    With Bobby Ryan!!!!

Smile

We have a deal.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by shabbs on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:42 pm

Timmy T comes out in support of Chick-Fil-A on his Facebook account...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=401559

He's basically saying he's anti-happy. Chick-Fil-A came under a lot of heat when it was accused of supporting anti-happy groups with a lot of money, and they didn't deny it. "Guilty as charged" was their response.

Here we go...

Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by Riprock on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:48 pm

Man I just called some black guy out on Twitter for being antigay and saying that people should respect others beliefs lol..., I told him that a black guy like him ought to understand that you can't respect ignorance.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47955
    Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by wprager on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:03 pm

Riprock wrote:Man I just called some black guy out on Twitter for being antigay and saying that people should respect others beliefs lol..., I told him that a black guy like him ought to understand that you can't respect ignorance.

So "happy" is a belief, now? And you should never-ever try to convince a person of color that they should be more tolerant based on how they, themselves, have been the subject of intolerance. Maybe it would work on someone who is 90 years old and lived in the South. Most have not lived through it first-hand.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:11 pm

shabbs wrote:Timmy T comes out in support of Chick-Fil-A on his Facebook account...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=401559

He's basically saying he's anti-happy. Chick-Fil-A came under a lot of heat when it was accused of supporting anti-happy groups with a lot of money, and they didn't deny it. "Guilty as charged" was their response.

Here we go...

Why is anything Tim Thomas does still considered newsworthy? He's got an opinion and a twitter account. Big deal.

Any Habs rumours?

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20865
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:12 pm

Riprock wrote:Man I just called some black guy out on Twitter for being antigay and saying that people should respect others beliefs lol..., I told him that a black guy like him ought to understand that you can't respect ignorance.

Why is being against happy marriage considered being "antigay"? Just curious.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:14 pm

Big Ev wrote:

Excellent point, but we don't know the preceding discussion.

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54426
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:22 pm

Enstrom signs an extension with the Jets. Not sure how much yet.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:23 pm

5 years - still no figure, but I'd say 5 million per season at least.
    Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867

Post by Riprock on Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:14 pm

wprager wrote:
    Big Ev wrote:

Excellent point, but we don't know the preceding discussion.

Because they think they are not worthy of rights? They think they are an "abomination"?

It's as bad as saying: "I'm not racist, but I think white people are superior to black people and it's disgusting and an abomination for a white woman to be with a black man, or vice versa."
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Post by shabbs on Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:35 pm

Doan looking for a 4-year/$30M deal apparently...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=401580

Hmmmm...
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:40 pm

shabbs wrote:Doan looking for a 4-year/$30M deal apparently...

Hmmmm...

7.5 million X 4 years? He's 34 as it is, that's ridiculous.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:50 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:

Hmmmm...

I often wonder how much autonomy players give their agents to make these sort of demands. I'm only guessing, but I think a lot of them tell their agents what they want in rough terms (want to play for a contender, for example) and let the agents work out the numbers.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24766
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:52 pm

Hmmmm...

That's a lotta cake for Sugar Shane Doan or just about anybody.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:53 pm

Doan MIGHT get that from a desperate team but if you're Doan, don't you try and pick a contender? No one will give that kind of money and term to a 34 year old who's best years are behind him and before a new CBA is signed.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:55 pm

spader wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:

Hmmmm...

I often wonder how much autonomy players give their agents to make these sort of demands. I'm only guessing, but I think a lot of them tell their agents what they want in rough terms (want to play for a contender, for example) and let the agents work out the numbers.

Yeah, really. I wonder how much of that is true and how much of it is designed to make the Pens, Wings etc. a little more desperate to make a move on him. If he gets 7.5 X 4, I'll laugh at that team. It'll be a big, big mistake IMO.

Now, 7 X 3...that sounds a lot better than the extra year and the extra half million per year.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:42 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
    spader wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:

Hmmmm...

Yeah, really. I wonder how much of that is true and how much of it is designed to make the Pens, Wings etc. a little more desperate to make a move on him. If he gets 7.5 X 4, I'll laugh at that team. It'll be a big, big mistake IMO.

Now, 7 X 3...that sounds a lot better than the extra year and the extra half million per year.

Why would you pay $7M for a 50-60 point player? I get that he brings more than points to the table, but I'd peg his value at around $5M tops. Even then, I wouldn't even consider signing him for more than two years. He's about four or five years past his prime.

IMO, $7M is absurd. Four years is insane.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Post by shabbs on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:57 pm

I wonder if these Agents are speaking before checking with their clients...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:22 am