Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 9235
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

Re: NHL CBA Talk

Post by Hoags on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:45 pm

sandysensfan wrote:
    The NHLPA will be in no hurry to get a deal done. SEL2 is allowing NHL players to sign contracts with an out clause... they expect the SEL to follow.

A lot of players will go to Sweden to play.

They will not be interested in getting the NHL back. They don't give a damn about the workers who are being laid off or having their wages cut back.. and they don't give a damn about the fans.

They will go to Europe to play for less than the NHL offered them.

This lockout at MINIMUM will be the entire NHL season... We may be looking at 2 years. That's what Fehr first told the union membership.. be prepared for 2 yrs out.

I fear the Ottawa Senators will no longer exist along with quite a few other teams..

NHLPA is like 700 members, no way anywhere near that many find jobs overseas. The amount of players who will be out of a job with no income greatly outnumbers the rich ones who can find work, they can outvote them if it comes to that. So much for player unity. I refuse to believe they'll be stupid enough to lose another year, especially if Fehr wants to go on a crusade against the salary cap at their expense.

And I can't find any info that Fehr said they'll need to sit out 2 years, Goodenow said that years ago and the union caved in a year anyway.

Considering their desperate anti-NHL PR campaign I think they'll be more desperate sooner than the NHL.

Cox's article isn't too far off the mark. The union is dysfunctional and corrupt as noted by their history, there's never been anything but animosity between the PA and the NHL and Fehr isn't helping one bit.

There is plenty of players from the last lockout still around, I refuse to believe they'll sit out an entire season AGAIN for nothing.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47674
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:17 pm

From the article. This is on Penny, Pink, Lindros, Hargrove:

These guys could really care less about whether the game and the NHL take another PR hit with a work stoppage, one source told Murphys Law on Sunday. Theyre more concerned with making money. They had a cozy setup before Kelly came in and found out what was going on. He has done his best to clean things up and distance the union from its troubled past. Unfortunately, part of that cleaning up shouldve been a housecleaning -- because now these guys are conspiring against him. This is simply crazy. This same source also said that the majority of the board was unaware of this proposal to oust Kelly until a story by TSNs Darren Dreger on Thursday night.

Kelly had ordered an audit of the NHLPA books and found out that Lindros and Penny were spending millions. Kelly forced Lindros to resign, at the time. Now Lindros is back.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:24 pm

Lindros is the biggest POS to ever play the game of hockey. Never a more self indulged piece of trash to lace up skates. I would actually have loved to been one of the guys that gave him a concussion.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24758
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:27 pm

NEELY wrote:Lindros is the biggest POS to ever play the game of hockey. Never a more self indulged piece of trash to lace up skates. I would actually have loved to been one of the guys that gave him a concussion.

Funny, I never figured Lindros for a douchebag. Oh well.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 9235
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

Post by Hoags on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:38 pm

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/2012/09/17/nhl_cba_bill_daly_on_hockey_central_at_noon/

Interesting interview with Bill Daly.

Major points:
    - Doesn't think current system is broken, needs to be tweaked. Says 57% is too much, they never thought it'd go that high (they started at 54)
    - Says NHL has agreed to increase revenue sharing from $150M to around $200M which is close to what the PA wants, they're pretty much in agreement here.
    - Says NHL proposal would only involve a 7% cut to player salaries, privately Don Fehr agrees but publicly he is saying 17.5% (not sure who to believe) but Daly flat out says he changing the numbers for PR purposes
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:02 pm

Daly was also on TSN 1050 today and they peppered him pretty hard about this whole situation. To be honest, he didn't really do a good job answering the questions. The summary I got from his was basically that the owners think they are paying too much. Sounded to me like they wanted "profit certainty" as opposed to "cost certainty" now. They wanted all franchises to be able to make money. When asked how many were struggling, he was vague. When asked about Phoenix and why do they continue to prop it up and not move it, he asked "Where would we move it?" The interviewers threw the usual candidates at him but he dismissed those... mind boggling. Not sure what to think of that.

Then he kept talking about the "health of the league" as opposed to individual franchises trying to get out of the Phoenix situation.

Not sure what to make of him saying that Fehr is misrepresenting the percentages. That seems odd. Seems everyone is fiddling with the numbers.

It did piss me off to hear him say that the league is doing so well and everything is going far better than they had hoped. So why the Diddle are they having a work stoppage? Unbelievable.

It seems to come down to pure greed by the owners. I don't care if the rev sharing percentages are out of line with the rest of the leagues, profits are way up, revenue is way up... everything is up!

Irritating.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54243
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:18 pm

Wow, this tiny little league is digging its own grave. Pretty sad.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:20 pm

If they truly want a healthy league overall, they should kill off a few teams and move a few to Canada.

If they refuse to do that, then it's pure greed and stubbornness.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:32 pm

The real ugly face of a lockout:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lockout/2012/09/17/ottawa_senators_layoffs_nhl_lockout/

The staff that is impacted... layoffs at the Sens... and I'm sure many other clubs are doing the same... such a shame...
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:35 pm

Irritating is right. This whole thing is stupid.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:02 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:Wow, this tiny little league is digging its own grave. Pretty sad.

Not only are they digging their own grave they have their own registed riffle in their mouth with their finger on the trigger. NFL, MLB, NBA, MLS, NCAA (everything) is all ahead of the NHL in the U.S. Good luck if there is a work stoppage. Truth be told there will be damage done in Canada too.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:10 pm

NEELY wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:Wow, this tiny little league is digging its own grave. Pretty sad.

Not only are they digging their own grave they have their own registed riffle in their mouth with their finger on the trigger. NFL, MLB, NBA, MLS, NCAA (everything) is all ahead of the NHL in the U.S. Good luck if there is a work stoppage. Truth be told there will be damage done in Canada too.

I was gonna write a big long thing about it, but I decided not to. The long and the short is that the US couldn't give a Dung about hockey - and if by chance they did care, they won't for long. The NHL and the PA better realize soon how hard they'll both have to work to get people to care in the US after this. Stupidity.

I only half kid when I ask: does the NFL even realize this tiny little house league is in a lockout?

sandysensfan
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 3187
    Registration date : 2011-01-04

Post by sandysensfan on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:19 pm

Hoags wrote:
    sandysensfan wrote:
    The NHLPA will be in no hurry to get a deal done. SEL2 is allowing NHL players to sign contracts with an out clause... they expect the SEL to follow.

A lot of players will go to Sweden to play.

They will not be interested in getting the NHL back. They don't give a damn about the workers who are being laid off or having their wages cut back.. and they don't give a damn about the fans.

They will go to Europe to play for less than the NHL offered them.

This lockout at MINIMUM will be the entire NHL season... We may be looking at 2 years. That's what Fehr first told the union membership.. be prepared for 2 yrs out.

I fear the Ottawa Senators will no longer exist along with quite a few other teams..

NHLPA is like 700 members, no way anywhere near that many find jobs overseas. The amount of players who will be out of a job with no income greatly outnumbers the rich ones who can find work, they can outvote them if it comes to that. So much for player unity. I refuse to believe they'll be stupid enough to lose another year, especially if Fehr wants to go on a crusade against the salary cap at their expense.

And I can't find any info that Fehr said they'll need to sit out 2 years, Goodenow said that years ago and the union caved in a year anyway.

Considering their desperate anti-NHL PR campaign I think they'll be more desperate sooner than the NHL.

Cox's article isn't too far off the mark. The union is dysfunctional and corrupt as noted by their history, there's never been anything but animosity between the PA and the NHL and Fehr isn't helping one bit.

There is plenty of players from the last lockout still around, I refuse to believe they'll sit out an entire season AGAIN for nothing.

Before the lockout -- at the beginning of the sessions if not before... Fehr told his players to prepare for 2 yrs out.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:23 pm

Ha, if Fehr told his players to wait 2 years hockey is done, lol. I wouldn't even care next year if they are still in a lockout at this time.

Where did you hear that Fehr told his players to wait 2 years? Or is that hear say?

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:25 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
    NEELY wrote:

I was gonna write a big long thing about it, but I decided not to. The long and the short is that the US couldn't give a Dung about hockey - and if by chance they did care, they won't for long. The NHL and the PA better realize soon how hard they'll both have to work to get people to care in the US after this. Stupidity.

I only half kid when I ask: does the NFL even realize this tiny little house league is in a lockout?

It's just a joke at this point. The fact NO ONE in the U.S is talking about this is a pretty clear indication that the NHL is not important in the least. Yah, Canada loves it and most fans will come back like the suckers they are but in the U.S... it's a niche sport at best.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:41 pm

sandysensfan wrote:Before the lockout -- at the beginning of the sessions if not before... Fehr told his players to prepare for 2 yrs out.
    Do you have a link to an article that indicates that? I've never seen that called out.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13591

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:51 pm

shabbs wrote:
    sandysensfan wrote:Before the lockout -- at the beginning of the sessions if not before... Fehr told his players to prepare for 2 yrs out.
    Do you have a link to an article that indicates that? I've never seen that called out.

I think it's entirely possible that Fehr had been telling them for the past 2 years that they better be prepared for a lock-out.

Prudent planning really. With Bettman's track record it's a foregone conclusion. It's like telling people to buy an umbrella because the weather is calling for rain.

Pretty obvious really. Can I get paid for stating the obvious?

- Unknown Author
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:58 pm

In the last lockout, the owners made it clear they were prepared to sit out a full two years to get what they wanted. I've not see anything that quotes Fehr as saying to the players to be prepared for a 2-year lockout. I'm sure he's been saying for the past two years, there will be a lockout. We all saw that coming. But that's very different.

The closest think I've seen about the players putting a length on it is Ovechkin saying in an interview he's prepared to stay in Russia for the entire season if he has to.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:09 am