GM Hockey » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » NHL CBA Talk

NHL CBA Talk

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 50 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 34 of 67]

496NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:48 pm

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
NEELY wrote:But I will say this, I think the players know exactly what they are doing here and are probably more calculated than people want to believe. There is a reason why all the players mouth pieces and agents are saying Nov to Dec they will be playing hockey.

Yeah. The players just wanted to extend their summer vacation into the fall. In December, they'll just collectively say "just kidding", accept the owners' offer, and suit up.

497NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:55 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod
shabbs wrote:Well, if this is a calculated "plan" to create a work stoppage and then settle in Nov/Dec... that boggles the mind even more. Everyone loses in that situation. Unless they expect the owners to give in by then, which is delusional.

No idea what anyone is thinking.

498NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:01 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran
shabbs wrote:Well, if this is a calculated "plan" to create a work stoppage and then settle in Nov/Dec... that boggles the mind even more. Everyone loses in that situation. Unless they expect the owners to give in by then, which is delusional.

They are intentionally doing damage in the NHL to screw Bettman -- that is in their minds. They don't like him and are trying everything they can to get him fired.

They are hurting themselves and the league more than they realize. They will discover when the return to the ice... just how little revenue they will be getting when they see a lot of empty seats in the arenas.

499NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:05 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
NEELY wrote:But I will say this, I think the players know exactly what they are doing here and are probably more calculated than people want to believe. There is a reason why all the players mouth pieces and agents are saying Nov to Dec they will be playing hockey.

NEELY wrote:No idea what anyone is thinking.

What?

Wink

500NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:37 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star
NEELY wrote:Both sides are greedy and I have grown something that can only be described as hate for the both of them. At this point though, no games have been cancelled but I think it is all but a certainty they will.

The on thing that is getting annoying is the NHLPA and Fehr saying "the owners wanted this lockout and we can play while negotiating". That's such a crock of garbage and everyone sees through it, you would strike and strike hard after players have earned their stupid salaries.

Can the players risk that? Suppose the owner lifts the ban on players and allow them to play under the old CBA (to strategically call their bluff or salvage some profits)...it would be an absolute PR nightmare for the players to then go and strike.

501NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:44 pm

ddt

ddt
Rookie
Rookie
Michallica wrote:
NEELY wrote:Both sides are greedy and I have grown something that can only be described as hate for the both of them. At this point though, no games have been cancelled but I think it is all but a certainty they will.

The on thing that is getting annoying is the NHLPA and Fehr saying "the owners wanted this lockout and we can play while negotiating". That's such a crock of garbage and everyone sees through it, you would strike and strike hard after players have earned their stupid salaries.

Can the players risk that? Suppose the owner lifts the ban on players and allow them to play under the old CBA (to strategically call their bluff or salvage some profits)...it would be an absolute PR nightmare for the players to then go and strike.

Except for the little fact that Fehr has done this before, in baseball. So now everybody is seeing him coming from a mile away when he proposes it...

502NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:51 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star
sandysensfan wrote:
They are intentionally doing damage in the NHL to screw Bettman -- that is in their minds. They don't like him and are trying everything they can to get him fired.

They are hurting themselves and the league more than they realize. They will discover when the return to the ice... just how little revenue they will be getting when they see a lot of empty seats in the arenas.

Right or wrong it's the thinking that you're not going to get the "best" offer from the NHL until their backs are against the wall (cancellation of the season looming).

There's also the fear that any concessions the players will make will just get swallowed up by Bettman and he'll still ask for more. Kind of like the 24% rollback from the last CBA, where Bettman got his cap and still insisted on the 24% rollback that the PA proposed much earlier. The players see this as a shakedown, where Bettman is squeezing them to see how much he can get, even if they give him something in an attempt to find a middle ground he'll keep squeezing them for more.

There's zero trust between the two sides.

I haven't seen any such statements except for Gretzky but he's not involved in this, most players are saying this lockout will last a season or more.

503NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:58 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
tim1_2 wrote:
NEELY wrote:At the end of the day it's a game that costs me money to watch... so who's the fool? Me if I spend my hard earned cash.

It costs money to watch, but also TIME. In the winter, I probably spend an average of 10 to 15 hours each week watching hockey…plus probably another 5 or so hours reading about it (or fiddling with my hockey pool)…anyway, if I manage to find something productive to do with that "extra" time, I'll be a much better person!

But I'll probably just watch Jersey Shore.

Better hurry. Last season.

504NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:52 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran
They want this to last a season or two.. then they all had better plan on finishing their careers in Europe as the NHL will cease to exist.

This stalemate is over money. The fans will not accept that.

If they go to Europe.. there is no way they get NHL salaries in Europe unless they play in the KHL.

Now I don't believe he KHL is the place to take your family. How will your children get schooling? The other option is they leave them for 8 mos or so every year.

They don't realize how really good they have it in the NHL. Catered to and admired at every turn.. yet they thumb their noses at it...

This is getting beyond ridiculous.

It's frustrating. The fans can see where a 50-50 split is good for both sides... but there is nothing we can do to get them to realize this, or to keep them talking.

We have no say.... yet we pay their way...

505NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:00 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm pretty sure the owners will be fine to go to a 50% split. The issue will be getting the NHLPA there, and that will take come creative negotiating, which of course is not even happening.

506NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:00 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star
shabbs wrote:I'm pretty sure the owners will be fine to go to a 50% split. The issue will be getting the NHLPA there, and that will take come creative negotiating, which of course is not even happening.

If Fehr has an offer in his drawer, it's possible that a portion of the NHLPA membership would like to negotiate a deal quickly whereas most want to hold out, hence why the supposed offer was leaked by dissidents. We know there are player who absolutely do NOT want to miss any paychecks, nor can they afford to.

507NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:22 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hoags wrote:
shabbs wrote:I'm pretty sure the owners will be fine to go to a 50% split. The issue will be getting the NHLPA there, and that will take come creative negotiating, which of course is not even happening.

If Fehr has an offer in his drawer, it's possible that a portion of the NHLPA membership would like to negotiate a deal quickly whereas most want to hold out, hence why the supposed offer was leaked by dissidents. We know there are player who absolutely do NOT want to miss any paychecks, nor can they afford to.
I think the leak came from people who were in the room that were non-players. The word is that it was unanimous that they didn't want to table the offer, whatever it was.

508NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:33 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star
shabbs wrote:
I think the leak came from people who were in the room that were non-players. The word is that it was unanimous that they didn't want to table the offer, whatever it was.

Isn't it only the 30 player reps who vote ?

There's no way they had every NHLPA member on the call and had them vote then and there.

I can't think of who'd want to leak that (assuming it's true) unless it's a player who'd prefer the lockout end sooner than later (and we know there is many of those).

509NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:40 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What John Shannon said on HC@Noon today was that 60 players were present and voted unanimously to not present the offer.

510NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:55 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm curious as to what's in this NHLPA proposal... I wonder if it proposes a removal of the cap or an introduction of a real luxury tax in there... or some other crazy ideas...

511NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:07 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran
shabbs wrote:What John Shannon said on HC@Noon today was that 60 players were present and voted unanimously to not present the offer.

To me.. that is just plain stupid. All the NHLPA is doing is delaying the entire process. This has been going on for months.

Not that I believe anything he writes... but Eklund says he heard it went something like 55% share next season, then down to 52% then down to 50% -- don't know about the years, etc.. but they figure with the average growth in the NHL of 7% (hello... that won't happen now or going forward) the players could still retain the same $$$ they have now.

That would be ideal... and maybe something the Owners would look at... but if Eklund says it... it won't be true.

512NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:04 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Smugness...

NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Daly-top_64974

513NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:11 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:Smugness...

NHL CBA Talk - Page 34 Daly-top_64974
He actually looks a lot like your avatar, without the mohawk.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 34 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 50 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum