You are not connected. Please login or register

 » The other NHL teams » General Hockey talk » NHL CBA Talk

NHL CBA Talk

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 65 of 67]

961NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:39 am

NEELY


Mod
Mod
Ah the KHL, lol. Great league.

This just shows how truly stupid the players are if they don't sign this CBA soon. Why do only the dumb ones speak anyways?

962NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:50 am

shabbs


Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So, it sounds like this weekend the GMs and Owners were allowed to answer player questions directly regarding the NHL's latest offer. There was a window where they were permitted to discuss it.

I don't think the NHLPA was involved with that.

Odd.

Steve Fehr was not too pleased: "Most owners are not allowed to attend bargaining meetings. No owners are allowed to speak to the media about the bargaining. Interesting that they are secretly unleashed to talk to the players about the meetings the players can attend but the owners cannot."

Via Louis Jean: https://twitter.com/LouisJean_TVA

This is not conducive to productive negotiations...

963NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:02 am

shabbs


Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Kovalchuk echoing what Ovechkin says... if salaries are cut, he'll look to stay in the KHL...

https://twitter.com/dchesnokov/status/260726213146972160

Hope they have good lawyers...

964NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:07 am

NEELY


Mod
Mod
shabbs wrote:So, it sounds like this weekend the GMs and Owners were allowed to answer player questions directly regarding the NHL's latest offer. There was a window where they were permitted to discuss it.

I don't think the NHLPA was involved with that.

Odd.

Steve Fehr was not too pleased: "Most owners are not allowed to attend bargaining meetings. No owners are allowed to speak to the media about the bargaining. Interesting that they are secretly unleashed to talk to the players about the meetings the players can attend but the owners cannot."

Via Louis Jean: https://twitter.com/LouisJean_TVA

This is not conducive to productive negotiations...

I think the opposite. Hearing it from former players and GM that talk to the players on a daily basis might put the pressure back on the players... if the Fehr brothers scoff at the players concerns and wants at this point, the only people to blame are the players themselves. They wanted Fehr, they go it. If Paul Kelly was running the show right now there would be hockey.

965NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:08 am

NEELY


Mod
Mod
shabbs wrote:Kovalchuk echoing what Ovechkin says... if salaries are cut, he'll look to stay in the KHL...

https://twitter.com/dchesnokov/status/260726213146972160

Hope they have good lawyers...

Be tough to get out of those decade plus long deals.

Maybe if the Russians go away there will be labour peace? I know one thing, it wouldn't hurt and it wouldn't hurt the game in NA at all.

966NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:15 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
NEELY wrote:
shabbs wrote:So, it sounds like this weekend the GMs and Owners were allowed to answer player questions directly regarding the NHL's latest offer. There was a window where they were permitted to discuss it.

I don't think the NHLPA was involved with that.

Odd.

Steve Fehr was not too pleased: "Most owners are not allowed to attend bargaining meetings. No owners are allowed to speak to the media about the bargaining. Interesting that they are secretly unleashed to talk to the players about the meetings the players can attend but the owners cannot."

Via Louis Jean: https://twitter.com/LouisJean_TVA

This is not conducive to productive negotiations...

I think the opposite. Hearing it from former players and GM that talk to the players on a daily basis might put the pressure back on the players... if the Fehr brothers scoff at the players concerns and wants at this point, the only people to blame are the players themselves. They wanted Fehr, they go it. If Paul Kelly was running the show right now there would be hockey.

Not sure we'd be in a different situation if Kelly was running the show. The impression I get is that it is the players driving this for now. Fehr is taking his direction from the players and working towards that goal. Until the players say differently, Fehr has his orders.

It will be interesting to see if anything came out of the meetings with the Owners/GMs/players this weekend then. It sounds like it was done with out the NHLPA's awareness, but I highly doubt that. Hopefully it did allow for more open communications.

967NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:20 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Since the 50-50 concept has been floated by both sides, I think a possible resolution would come with an immediate 50-50 split along with a tweak of the "make whole" provision.

Either have the deferred salaries come out of the owners share entirely or some sort of a split out of each sides share.

968NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:25 am

NEELY


Mod
Mod
SeawaySensFan wrote:Since the 50-50 concept has been floated by both sides, I think a possible resolution would come with an immediate 50-50 split along with a tweak of the "make whole" provision.

Either have the deferred salaries come out of the owners share entirely or some sort of a split out of each sides share.

Sounds simple but one side has to win and one has to lose. That's how the players are viewing it anyways. We'll see what comes out of this but if the game doesn't get going soon it won't bounce back.

969NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:32 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
NEELY wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Since the 50-50 concept has been floated by both sides, I think a possible resolution would come with an immediate 50-50 split along with a tweak of the "make whole" provision.

Either have the deferred salaries come out of the owners share entirely or some sort of a split out of each sides share.

Sounds simple but one side has to win and one has to lose. That's how the players are viewing it anyways. We'll see what comes out of this but if the game doesn't get going soon it won't bounce back.

I think the players are already resigned to the fact that they will "lose". They've seemingly accepted the "50-50" eventuality and that's a pretty significant concession from where they were up until the end of the last CBA. The last hurdle looks like the handling of the "existing" contracts.

970NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:35 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Since the 50-50 concept has been floated by both sides, I think a possible resolution would come with an immediate 50-50 split along with a tweak of the "make whole" provision.

Either have the deferred salaries come out of the owners share entirely or some sort of a split out of each sides share.

Sounds simple but one side has to win and one has to lose. That's how the players are viewing it anyways. We'll see what comes out of this but if the game doesn't get going soon it won't bounce back.

I think the players are already resigned to the fact that they will "lose". They've seemingly accepted the "50-50" eventuality and that's a pretty significant concession from where they were up until the end of the last CBA. The last hurdle looks like the handling of the "existing" contracts.
Problem is though that "existing contracts" has been the major sticking point. Their "mission" has been to protect those at all costs. Once they ease up on that, I think we'll see something get done. A tweak of the make-whole may be what gets it done if they can pull the deferred payments from the owners share... we'll see...

971NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:38 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Since the 50-50 concept has been floated by both sides, I think a possible resolution would come with an immediate 50-50 split along with a tweak of the "make whole" provision.

Either have the deferred salaries come out of the owners share entirely or some sort of a split out of each sides share.

Sounds simple but one side has to win and one has to lose. That's how the players are viewing it anyways. We'll see what comes out of this but if the game doesn't get going soon it won't bounce back.

I think the players are already resigned to the fact that they will "lose". They've seemingly accepted the "50-50" eventuality and that's a pretty significant concession from where they were up until the end of the last CBA. The last hurdle looks like the handling of the "existing" contracts.
Problem is though that "existing contracts" has been the major sticking point. Their "mission" has been to protect those at all costs. Once they ease up on that, I think we'll see something get done. A tweak of the make-whole may be what gets it done if they can pull the deferred payments from the owners share... we'll see...

I'll forward this idea to the NHLFA and they can present it to the league and PA.

972NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:39 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Since the 50-50 concept has been floated by both sides, I think a possible resolution would come with an immediate 50-50 split along with a tweak of the "make whole" provision.

Either have the deferred salaries come out of the owners share entirely or some sort of a split out of each sides share.

Sounds simple but one side has to win and one has to lose. That's how the players are viewing it anyways. We'll see what comes out of this but if the game doesn't get going soon it won't bounce back.

I think the players are already resigned to the fact that they will "lose". They've seemingly accepted the "50-50" eventuality and that's a pretty significant concession from where they were up until the end of the last CBA. The last hurdle looks like the handling of the "existing" contracts.
Problem is though that "existing contracts" has been the major sticking point. Their "mission" has been to protect those at all costs. Once they ease up on that, I think we'll see something get done. A tweak of the make-whole may be what gets it done if they can pull the deferred payments from the owners share... we'll see...
I'll forward this idea to the NHLFA and they can present it to the league and PA.
Puck drop Monday.

973NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:46 am

NEELY


Mod
Mod
SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Since the 50-50 concept has been floated by both sides, I think a possible resolution would come with an immediate 50-50 split along with a tweak of the "make whole" provision.

Either have the deferred salaries come out of the owners share entirely or some sort of a split out of each sides share.

Sounds simple but one side has to win and one has to lose. That's how the players are viewing it anyways. We'll see what comes out of this but if the game doesn't get going soon it won't bounce back.

I think the players are already resigned to the fact that they will "lose". They've seemingly accepted the "50-50" eventuality and that's a pretty significant concession from where they were up until the end of the last CBA. The last hurdle looks like the handling of the "existing" contracts.

yah, I'm not sure how they will bridge that gap but I will always be of the opinion that the owners should honour the contracts they gave out. That said, at one point is the battle not worth it and where do you end up? If it was me... I made my point, I'm not happy, but I'll make the best of the worst and lets fill my bank account again.

Buuuuuut I'm not there, never will be, and truthfully I think a lot of people are starting to really hate the players.

974NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:51 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:Kovalchuk echoing what Ovechkin says... if salaries are cut, he'll look to stay in the KHL...

https://twitter.com/dchesnokov/status/260726213146972160

Hope they have good lawyers...

He better buy some indoor rubber boots.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

975NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:49 am

ddt

ddt
Rookie
Rookie
shabbs wrote:Not sure we'd be in a different situation if Kelly was running the show. The impression I get is that it is the players driving this for now. Fehr is taking his direction from the players and working towards that goal. Until the players say differently, Fehr has his orders.

It will be interesting to see if anything came out of the meetings with the Owners/GMs/players this weekend then. It sounds like it was done with out the NHLPA's awareness, but I highly doubt that. Hopefully it did allow for more open communications.

The three stooges (Eric Lindros, Buzz Hargrove and Ian Penny) are running the show, and things will never change until they're booted out. Only problem is, the players either don't have the brains to figure it out, or the balls to do anything about it.

976NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:52 am

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star
ddt wrote:
The three stooges (Eric Lindros, Buzz Hargrove and Ian Penny) are running the show, and things will never change until they're booted out. Only problem is, the players either don't have the brains to figure it out, or the balls to do anything about it.

I thought they were no longer with the NHLPA ?

Penny left to join MLB after Fehr joined the NHLPA.

The Fehrs are running the show. The NHL is publishing its offer on its website and talking to players last week tells me they don't trust the Fehr are honestly presenting their offer.

977NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:02 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hoags wrote:
ddt wrote:
The three stooges (Eric Lindros, Buzz Hargrove and Ian Penny) are running the show, and things will never change until they're booted out. Only problem is, the players either don't have the brains to figure it out, or the balls to do anything about it.

I thought they were no longer with the NHLPA ?

Penny left to join MLB after Fehr joined the NHLPA.

The Fehrs are running the show. The NHL is publishing its offer on its website and talking to players last week tells me they don't trust the Fehr are honestly presenting their offer.
They're all long gone from the NHLPA. I think that was a sarcastic remark... Wink

Yeah, NHL seems to be trying to get their message directly to the players without going via the Fehr's. Not sure if that's a wise move or not. May backfire.

978NHL CBA Talk - Page 65 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:16 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
NHLPA not happy about NHL contacting players directly wihtout NHLPA's knowledge or permission...

Via Eric Macramalla: https://twitter.com/EricOnSportsLaw

In keeping with NHLPA displeasure over teams contacting players, NHLPA issued email to player Friday: "In the last few hours we have..."(1)

"...heard about calls today from various club officials to players and agents to discuss the NHL proposal and bargaining...." (2)

"This is interesting, since our understanding has been that the League had banned club officials from..." (3)

"talking to players since the beginning of the lockout." (4 of 4)

Wonder if there's a legal implication here?

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 65 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 34 ... 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum