NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Re: NHL CBA Talk

Post by NEELY on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:39 am

Ah the KHL, lol. Great league.

This just shows how truly stupid the players are if they don't sign this CBA soon. Why do only the dumb ones speak anyways?

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:50 am

So, it sounds like this weekend the GMs and Owners were allowed to answer player questions directly regarding the NHL's latest offer. There was a window where they were permitted to discuss it.

I don't think the NHLPA was involved with that.

Odd.

Steve Fehr was not too pleased: "Most owners are not allowed to attend bargaining meetings. No owners are allowed to speak to the media about the bargaining. Interesting that they are secretly unleashed to talk to the players about the meetings the players can attend but the owners cannot."

Via Louis Jean: https://twitter.com/LouisJean_TVA

This is not conducive to productive negotiations...

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:02 am

Kovalchuk echoing what Ovechkin says... if salaries are cut, he'll look to stay in the KHL...

https://twitter.com/dchesnokov/status/260726213146972160

Hope they have good lawyers...

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by NEELY on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:07 am

shabbs wrote:So, it sounds like this weekend the GMs and Owners were allowed to answer player questions directly regarding the NHL's latest offer. There was a window where they were permitted to discuss it.

Odd.

Steve Fehr was not too pleased: "Most owners are not allowed to attend bargaining meetings. No owners are allowed to speak to the media about the bargaining. Interesting that they are secretly unleashed to talk to the players about the meetings the players can attend but the owners cannot."

I think the opposite. Hearing it from former players and GM that talk to the players on a daily basis might put the pressure back on the players... if the Fehr brothers scoff at the players concerns and wants at this point, the only people to blame are the players themselves. They wanted Fehr, they go it. If Paul Kelly was running the show right now there would be hockey.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:08 am

shabbs wrote:Kovalchuk echoing what Ovechkin says... if salaries are cut, he'll look to stay in the KHL...

Be tough to get out of those decade plus long deals.

Maybe if the Russians go away there will be labour peace? I know one thing, it wouldn't hurt and it wouldn't hurt the game in NA at all.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Post by shabbs on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:15 am

NEELY wrote:
    shabbs wrote:So, it sounds like this weekend the GMs and Owners were allowed to answer player questions directly regarding the NHL's latest offer. There was a window where they were permitted to discuss it.

Odd.

I think the opposite. Hearing it from former players and GM that talk to the players on a daily basis might put the pressure back on the players... if the Fehr brothers scoff at the players concerns and wants at this point, the only people to blame are the players themselves. They wanted Fehr, they go it. If Paul Kelly was running the show right now there would be hockey.

Not sure we'd be in a different situation if Kelly was running the show. The impression I get is that it is the players driving this for now. Fehr is taking his direction from the players and working towards that goal. Until the players say differently, Fehr has his orders.

It will be interesting to see if anything came out of the meetings with the Owners/GMs/players this weekend then. It sounds like it was done with out the NHLPA's awareness, but I highly doubt that. Hopefully it did allow for more open communications.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24760
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:20 am

Since the 50-50 concept has been floated by both sides, I think a possible resolution would come with an immediate 50-50 split along with a tweak of the "make whole" provision.

Either have the deferred salaries come out of the owners share entirely or some sort of a split out of each sides share.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:25 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:Since the 50-50 concept has been floated by both sides, I think a possible resolution would come with an immediate 50-50 split along with a tweak of the "make whole" provision.

Either have the deferred salaries come out of the owners share entirely or some sort of a split out of each sides share.

Sounds simple but one side has to win and one has to lose. That's how the players are viewing it anyways. We'll see what comes out of this but if the game doesn't get going soon it won't bounce back.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:32 am

NEELY wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:Since the 50-50 concept has been floated by both sides, I think a possible resolution would come with an immediate 50-50 split along with a tweak of the "make whole" provision.

Sounds simple but one side has to win and one has to lose. That's how the players are viewing it anyways. We'll see what comes out of this but if the game doesn't get going soon it won't bounce back.

I think the players are already resigned to the fact that they will "lose". They've seemingly accepted the "50-50" eventuality and that's a pretty significant concession from where they were up until the end of the last CBA. The last hurdle looks like the handling of the "existing" contracts.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:35 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    NEELY wrote:

I think the players are already resigned to the fact that they will "lose". They've seemingly accepted the "50-50" eventuality and that's a pretty significant concession from where they were up until the end of the last CBA. The last hurdle looks like the handling of the "existing" contracts.
    Problem is though that "existing contracts" has been the major sticking point. Their "mission" has been to protect those at all costs. Once they ease up on that, I think we'll see something get done. A tweak of the make-whole may be what gets it done if they can pull the deferred payments from the owners share... we'll see...
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:38 am

shabbs wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    NEELY wrote:

Problem is though that "existing contracts" has been the major sticking point. Their "mission" has been to protect those at all costs. Once they ease up on that, I think we'll see something get done. A tweak of the make-whole may be what gets it done if they can pull the deferred payments from the owners share... we'll see...

I'll forward this idea to the NHLFA and they can present it to the league and PA.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:39 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    shabbs wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    NEELY wrote:

I'll forward this idea to the NHLFA and they can present it to the league and PA.
    Puck drop Monday.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:46 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    NEELY wrote:

yah, I'm not sure how they will bridge that gap but I will always be of the opinion that the owners should honour the contracts they gave out. That said, at one point is the battle not worth it and where do you end up? If it was me... I made my point, I'm not happy, but I'll make the best of the worst and lets fill my bank account again.

Buuuuuut I'm not there, never will be, and truthfully I think a lot of people are starting to really hate the players.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47682
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:51 am

shabbs wrote:Kovalchuk echoing what Ovechkin says... if salaries are cut, he'll look to stay in the KHL...

He better buy some indoor rubber boots.

ddt
    Rookie
    Rookie

Number of posts : 452
    Registration date : 2008-09-05

Post by ddt on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:49 am

shabbs wrote:Not sure we'd be in a different situation if Kelly was running the show. The impression I get is that it is the players driving this for now. Fehr is taking his direction from the players and working towards that goal. Until the players say differently, Fehr has his orders.

It will be interesting to see if anything came out of the meetings with the Owners/GMs/players this weekend then. It sounds like it was done with out the NHLPA's awareness, but I highly doubt that. Hopefully it did allow for more open communications.

The three stooges (Eric Lindros, Buzz Hargrove and Ian Penny) are running the show, and things will never change until they're booted out. Only problem is, the players either don't have the brains to figure it out, or the balls to do anything about it.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 9235
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

Post by Hoags on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:52 am

ddt wrote:
    The three stooges (Eric Lindros, Buzz Hargrove and Ian Penny) are running the show, and things will never change until they're booted out. Only problem is, the players either don't have the brains to figure it out, or the balls to do anything about it.

I thought they were no longer with the NHLPA ?

Penny left to join MLB after Fehr joined the NHLPA.

The Fehrs are running the show. The NHL is publishing its offer on its website and talking to players last week tells me they don't trust the Fehr are honestly presenting their offer.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:02 am

Hoags wrote:
    ddt wrote:

I thought they were no longer with the NHLPA ?

Penny left to join MLB after Fehr joined the NHLPA.

The Fehrs are running the show. The NHL is publishing its offer on its website and talking to players last week tells me they don't trust the Fehr are honestly presenting their offer.
    They're all long gone from the NHLPA. I think that was a sarcastic remark... Wink

Yeah, NHL seems to be trying to get their message directly to the players without going via the Fehr's. Not sure if that's a wise move or not. May backfire.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:16 am

NHLPA not happy about NHL contacting players directly wihtout NHLPA's knowledge or permission...

Via Eric Macramalla: https://twitter.com/EricOnSportsLaw

In keeping with NHLPA displeasure over teams contacting players, NHLPA issued email to player Friday: "In the last few hours we have..."(1)

"...heard about calls today from various club officials to players and agents to discuss the NHL proposal and bargaining...." (2)

"This is interesting, since our understanding has been that the League had banned club officials from..." (3)

"talking to players since the beginning of the lockout." (4 of 4)

Wonder if there's a legal implication here?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:11 am