61 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:25 am

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
sandysensfan wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:Heh. Nothing's mutual in these shenanigans! Wink

Big roadblock there!

Edit: Looks like I spoke to soon... Various reports have the new CBA agreed to, in principle, subject to setting the profit split on "Game On" merchandise...

more to come

The various reports were wrong:

Some tweets on lockout:

@DarrenDreger: NHL remains firm, willing to negotiate with the PA by only working off NHL offer tabled last Tues. NHL wants next meeting to be an end pt.

@DarrenDreger: When asked if the CBA negotiation is about to go into a deep freeze, B. Daly said "I suspect so. Back to the drawing board. Unfortunate."

@DarrenDreger: The union has offered to meet, but, unless PA is willing to work off NHL's offer, Daly says there's no reason to meet.

======================================

It doesn't look like there will be an 82 game schedule this season... question is will there be a season at all.

Both sides will realize when this league does get back to playing, the revenue they will be splitting will have dropped significantly and they have no one to blame but themselves.

Greed pure greed. Now let's see how angry the fans really get when talks break off for a very long time.

I stand by my sources. Dreger is just a mouthpiece and a shill who is only marginally more informative than Gino "Useless" Reda.

The windfall from "Game On" t-shirts, caps, coffee mugs, bumper stickers, etc. is too rich for either side to ignore.

62 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:31 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So, the NHL refuses to meet unless there's a new proposal or the NHLPA wants to discuss the NHL's proposal.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lockout/2012/10/24/nhl_cba_labour_talks_nhlpa_request_to_meet_denied/

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=408009

This is now a standoff. The next move will be a blink.

Maybe the NHLPA will lob another proposal the NHL's way... but I doubt it after the last three were knocked down faster than you can say Jeremy Roenick. NHL has said "this is it" barring some minor tweaks.

Bah.

63 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:32 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod
SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:

Not bigger than the game but he's bigger than the Sens. Only reason I even went to games when the rest of the team (aside from Alfi and Phillips) was out on the town, banging broads and bumping rails.

I think that's a reasonable statement.

It's true, Alfi has his named chanted more at the games then the Sens do for the most part. Sometimes players are bigger than the teams they play on, never bigger than the game itself though. At this point, the only thing I care about is seeing Alfi play his last game and being there live for it despite my personal feelings on what is happening in the NHL now. I won't rob myself of something that I know will be incredibly special and something I've been part of since I was 10 or 11.

Ive been there for all of his biggest moments and won't miss this one either... if the NHL actually starts up. If they rob me of this event I won't be in an NHL arena for a very, very long time.

I was a bigger fan of Alfi than I was of the Sens for the past 4 or 5 seasons, last year hopefully was the rule going forward, not the exception.

64 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:34 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod
shabbs wrote:So, the NHL refuses to meet unless there's a new proposal or the NHLPA wants to discuss the NHL's proposal.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lockout/2012/10/24/nhl_cba_labour_talks_nhlpa_request_to_meet_denied/

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=408009

This is now a standoff. The next move will be a blink.

Maybe the NHLPA will lob another proposal the NHL's way... but I doubt it after the last three were knocked down faster than you can say Jeremy Roenick. NHL has said "this is it" barring some minor tweaks.

Bah.

Good. Pressure is on the NHLPA 100% now. The NHL made their offer, says they can bargain within it and make it more favourable towards the players. The NHLPA has done nothing but waste time up until now.

100% behind the NHL with this move. They are at the point where they want to get things started and if the NHLPA just wants to play little mind games or try and swing the PR in their favour... the NHL won't have it. Games are over.

65 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:38 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
NEELY wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
NEELY wrote:

Not bigger than the game but he's bigger than the Sens. Only reason I even went to games when the rest of the team (aside from Alfi and Phillips) was out on the town, banging broads and bumping rails.

I think that's a reasonable statement.

It's true, Alfi has his named chanted more at the games then the Sens do for the most part. Sometimes players are bigger than the teams they play on, never bigger than the game itself though. At this point, the only thing I care about is seeing Alfi play his last game and being there live for it despite my personal feelings on what is happening in the NHL now. I won't rob myself of something that I know will be incredibly special and something I've been part of since I was 10 or 11.

Ive been there for all of his biggest moments and won't miss this one either... if the NHL actually starts up. If they rob me of this event I won't be in an NHL arena for a very, very long time.

I was a bigger fan of Alfi than I was of the Sens for the past 4 or 5 seasons, last year hopefully was the rule going forward, not the exception.

I have the same personality that way. Expos left, baseball is dead to me. Obviously, hockey is a different matter altogether but I've spent around 500.00 for one night of hockey on a few occasions and won't be spending a thin dime on it for a long time after this.

66 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:05 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod
Nope, not a cent. If it's on CBC or SNE, I'll watch. Other than that, Diddle you.

67 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:07 am

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:Thing is, no-one cares about Alfie outside of Ottawa, and even here, I don't think you will find yourself in the majority. Sure, people will miss seeing #11 on the ice, but they'll still have #19 and #61, and newcomers like #93 and #33 to cheer on. I hardly ever spend money on tickets, so my "vote" means nothing. But I know a few regular season ticket holders and I doubt many of them would cancel just because we didn't get to see Alfie's swan song, farewell tour.

Also, in general, hockey arenas in the big markets will still be getting their sellouts. Bubble places, though, will likely join the likes of Phoenix, Columbus, NYI/NJ, Dallas, etc. Revenues will drop, for sure. Escrow payments will be huge.

Maybe they should play the next season under existing CBA rules while working on a deal. In the off-season the players would probably prefer a hard cap to one that is tied to revenues. They want guaranteed contracts? Well, then, forget about even pretending to be partners. Hard cap going up with the rate of inflation, and re-evaluated every 5 years (take 5 year average revenues to determine value).

Is Saprykin coming back? I think you over-value his draw. Sarcasm

68 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:12 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
LeBrun thinks Fehr is gonna make Bettman sweat a bit more this week and next...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/19944/time-to-check-your-egos-at-the-door

Seems anytime Bettman puts a deadline out there, Fehr has no issue running right up to it and past it. Bettman should know this. This is Fehr. The master negotiator.

Maybe in two weeks they'll sit down again.

69 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:18 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod
shabbs wrote:LeBrun thinks Fehr is gonna make Bettman sweat a bit more this week and next...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/19944/time-to-check-your-egos-at-the-door

Seems anytime Bettman puts a deadline out there, Fehr has no issue running right up to it and past it. Bettman should know this. This is Fehr. The master negotiator.

Maybe in two weeks they'll sit down again.

Don't think Bettman sweats. He cancelled a season, the only president or commish to do so.

70 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:28 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think Bettman may start to sweat this time around... hopefully someone is sweating and gives in soon. Hopefully!

71 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:46 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Via Chris Johnston: Bill Daly reiterates that an 82-game NHL season won't happen if it doesn't start Nov. 2. So we're facing a shortened year ... at best.

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/261144139612164096

Daly sticking to his guns.

Hello shortened season at best now.

72 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:51 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Big Ev wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Also to you BigEv the real question here is what would Sam The Record Man have thought were he still alive today?

I don't understand what you're referring to or asking me.

It's not supposed to make sense. True story.

- Unknown Author

73 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:52 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod
Word is coming out that some players are being a lot more vocal based on what Kyper said on HC... haha, same song and dance, different leader, different player. Break the stupid union once and for all.

74 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:53 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
Also to you BigEv the real question here is what would Sam The Record Man have thought were he still alive today?

I don't understand what you're referring to or asking me.

It's not supposed to make sense. True story.

He would have said "I said it, I did it!" Fact.

75 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:55 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I think Bettman will sweat this time around as well. 2 lockouts in 7 years? Looks really bad on both the NHL and the PA.

76 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:55 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod
shabbs wrote:I think Bettman may start to sweat this time around... hopefully someone is sweating and gives in soon. Hopefully!

Not sure why people keep saying Bettman will break... has he ever broken? He is clearly of the mindset that the fans will come back (point for the owners and players), he has never broken in negotiations (point for the owners), he has money coming into the owners for TV deal even during a lockout (point for the owners), and Pheonix, Columbus, and a dozen other teams lose less during a lockout then they otherwise would (point for the owners).

Where on earth does Fehr have the balls to say to the players "the owners will break" or w/e else. He was up against Selig in MLB, a former owner who had no business at the table with Fehr to begin with. He's against Bettman, a guy who cancelled an entire season to get what he wants... this won't be any different if the players don't link their salaries to revenue, that's what they lost an entire year for before... won't change.

77 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:57 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod
SpezDispenser wrote:I think Bettman will sweat this time around as well. 2 lockouts in 7 years? Looks really bad on both the NHL and the PA.

BG said the same thing. Players have talked a good game but lets face it, 500 of the guys are not getting paid anything right now and 200 of them probably won't see another game in the NHL based on the last lockout. The players will crack like last time and play hockey with their tails firmly between their legs.

78 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:15 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
NEELY wrote:
shabbs wrote:I think Bettman may start to sweat this time around... hopefully someone is sweating and gives in soon. Hopefully!

Not sure why people keep saying Bettman will break... has he ever broken? He is clearly of the mindset that the fans will come back (point for the owners and players), he has never broken in negotiations (point for the owners), he has money coming into the owners for TV deal even during a lockout (point for the owners), and Pheonix, Columbus, and a dozen other teams lose less during a lockout then they otherwise would (point for the owners).

Where on earth does Fehr have the balls to say to the players "the owners will break" or w/e else. He was up against Selig in MLB, a former owner who had no business at the table with Fehr to begin with. He's against Bettman, a guy who cancelled an entire season to get what he wants... this won't be any different if the players don't link their salaries to revenue, that's what they lost an entire year for before... won't change.
Bettman is a robot, programmed with the will and desire of the owners but without any emotions built in. We all know the owners will "win" in the end. They always do.

Some have speculated that if we lose the season, Gary would be canned right after the new agreement was signed. Not sure how likely that is. I think Bettman will be there forever.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum