NHL CBA Talk

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Re: NHL CBA Talk

Post by shabbs on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:26 pm

Via Aaron Ward: NHLPA Executive Board and Negotiating Committee have a 4 PM (Eastern) conference call today. #TSN

https://twitter.com/aaronward_nhl/status/273489075892281344

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10071
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:36 pm

Hoags wrote:
    shabbs wrote:Also important to note, when filing for Decertification, one of the requirements is to show that you have attempted mediation. So, they are likely just going through the motions in order to get to the decertificaiton process.

Interesting that it's a prerequisite. I'm sure they're just threatening to decertify, just as much as the NHL isn't afraid of it.

I believe the NHL can also go nuclear and declare an impasse and simply impose a CBA and bring in replacement players and let the players individually decide whether they want to break with their union and cross the picket line.

Ha. I'm sure Hamrlik'd be there.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24783
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:40 pm

Hoags wrote:
    shabbs wrote:Also important to note, when filing for Decertification, one of the requirements is to show that you have attempted mediation. So, they are likely just going through the motions in order to get to the decertificaiton process.

Interesting that it's a prerequisite. I'm sure they're just threatening to decertify, just as much as the NHL isn't afraid of it.

I believe the NHL can also go nuclear and declare an impasse and simply impose a CBA and bring in replacement players and let the players individually decide whether they want to break with their union and cross the picket line.

They would have to have resorted to eating their own feces as I had predicted (hoped) first.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by shabbs on Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:40 pm

NFL and NBA both had mediators with no success on their way to decertification... so I am now sure we'll see the NHL go that route soon enough... will the NHL owners react the same way the NBA and NFL owners did? Or will they stand their ground?
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:17 pm

Crosby moving closer to playing hockey overseas...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/11/27/hockey_hearsay/

It's always been thought that the contract insurance costs would be staggering... and the risks would be tremendous given his concussion history... if he does go overseas, you know the season is done.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48305
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:06 pm

shabbs wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    shabbs wrote:
    wprager wrote:

"Low and behold" Facepalm

I stopped reading right there.
    Why?

Because I cringe when the English language is abused.
    Ha! I've seen far worse abuse than that...

We all have.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:06 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    shabbs wrote:
    wprager wrote:

"Low and behold" Facepalm

I stopped reading right there.
    Why?

Because I cringe when the English language is abused.

You should probably get off the internet then.

Yeah, probably. But what are the alternatives?

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:13 pm

shabbs wrote:Crosby moving closer to playing hockey overseas...

It's always been thought that the contract insurance costs would be staggering... and the risks would be tremendous given his concussion history... if he does go overseas, you know the season is done.

I still don't get that. Crosby is one player, not even the best player on his team, anymore. And he'd be back as soon as they were ready to drop the puck. And if he gets injured, overseas, how would that be any different from when he got injured over here? The league survived and had record revenues.

sandysensfan
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 3187
    Registration date : 2011-01-04

Post by sandysensfan on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:26 pm

shabbs wrote:So, my prediction for the next week: this mediator group will get the two sides in rooms for a few days of "marathon" sessions. This will result in no movement by each side. Mediation will end and the NHLPA will go down the decertification route. That will take us to the Dec. 5th NHL BOG meeting which should be an interesting one by then.

Wake me when the NHLPA has filed for decertification.

If they apply to decertify then that should be a permanent decision. They should not be allowed to re-form a Union... They can't have it both ways.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 21017
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:30 pm

I wouldn't say that at all. He would just be like any other player taking an opportunity when it arises, and he hasn't played a ton in the last two years so he needs to play sometime. And the risks aren't any different than any other player, really.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24783
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:31 pm

sandysensfan wrote:
    shabbs wrote:So, my prediction for the next week: this mediator group will get the two sides in rooms for a few days of "marathon" sessions. This will result in no movement by each side. Mediation will end and the NHLPA will go down the decertification route. That will take us to the Dec. 5th NHL BOG meeting which should be an interesting one by then.

If they apply to decertify then that should be a permanent decision. They should not be allowed to re-form a Union... They can't have it both ways.

The owners are free to fold the league and start it back up again. Companies can go bankrupt and re-capitalize, leaving common shareholders and unsecured creditors holding the bag... Organizations have it both ways all the time. Cheering
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:33 pm

sandysensfan wrote:

Yes, yes they can. Just like other sports unions did.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:33 pm

wprager wrote:

I still don't get that. Crosby is one player, not even the best player on his team, anymore. And he'd be back as soon as they were ready to drop the puck. And if he gets injured, overseas, how would that be any different from when he got injured over here? The league survived and had record revenues.
    If Crosby suffered a career ending injury while playing overseas - say, a Pronger-like concussion, he could lose the rest of his NHL contract.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=408578

So if a player suffers a career ending injury while playing abroad and that player therefore fails to deliver his services, a team could rely on Section 14 to cut him (or terminate his contract). If the team successfully terminates the contract, it wouldn't have to pay out what's left on the player's contract.

For Crosby, that's a LOT of money.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 9235
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

Post by Hoags on Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:38 pm

I can't see him getting that contract insured anywhere.

The whole Crosby playing overseas is just an attempt at scare tactics by the PA, just like all these talks about decertification without any decertification vote actually taking place.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:10 pm

Hoags wrote:I can't see him getting that contract insured anywhere.

The whole Crosby playing overseas is just an attempt at scare tactics by the PA, just like all these talks about decertification without any decertification vote actually taking place.
    Yeah, I'm sure a lot of it is all just posturing and trying to make the other side blink first. Problem is, we all know which side blinked first last time... so if the players are gonna go down this route, don't expect the owners to blink too soon...
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 9235
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

Post by Hoags on Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:13 pm

shabbs wrote:
    Yeah, I'm sure a lot of it is all just posturing and trying to make the other side blink first. Problem is, we all know which side blinked first last time... so if the players are gonna go down this route, don't expect the owners to blink too soon...

The PA has Donald Fehr at the helm now and there's no Trevor Linden to go around his back so the PA thinks they're not blinking this time around.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:16 pm

Hoags wrote:
    shabbs wrote:

The PA has Donald Fehr at the helm now and there's no Trevor Linden to go around his back so the PA thinks they're not blinking this time around.
    Heh. It may take longer to blink, but they will blink in the end, mark my words.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:51 pm

If Sidney Crosby signs in Europe I'm heading to wherever that is in December.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:30 pm