NHL CBA Talk

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47936
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: NHL CBA Talk

Post by wprager on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:42 pm

The players just got $10K from the NHLPA. That's not going to last very long for some of them. But are guys playing in the AHL eligible? If not, I'd be they are pissed off.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:51 pm

Fehr didn't destroy baseball, but it took baseball a decade to fully recover. And baseball is like, well, like baseball and apple pie in the US. If hockey is set back 10 years in Canada, how far will it fall in the US? Enrollment in hockey in Canada is down -- cost is the prime factor. Soccer is on the way up. If Canada cannot dominate on the world stage like they used to, will interest continue to drop off?

sandysensfan
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 3187
    Registration date : 2011-01-04

Post by sandysensfan on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:45 pm

shabbs wrote:Anyone else starting to think that Fehr's real end-game is to abolish the cap? I'm starting to have a feeling that this is what he's gunning for.

I also believe that. He probably told the NHLPA he could win -- get rid of the Cap -- and have labour peace in the NHL.

Now tell me.. how many teams will be able to survive on what would be about 30 or 40% of HRR... as without a cap... teams will overpay and the players again will be getting 70% of HRR just like they did before 2004 lockout.

Fehr doesn't understand hockey at all. He and the NHLPA really don't care what happens to the game.

If they lose the Cap.. the big market rich teams will have all the star players and the other teams get what's left. Parity would be gone and so would revenue growth. They could be down to a 15 team league with no way to get back to 3 billion dollars... and about half of the current NHLPA won't have jobs. But Crosby, Stamkos et al will be okay... It's the role players who will be out of a job.

I can't see where the players think no Cap is good for the game... unless the superstars see themselves with a chance to win most of the time... and the rest never having that chance.

Don't they have a brain? Can't they figure that out? No way the Cap goes away.. IF they tried that.. there would be no NHL hockey for probably 3 yrs..

sandysensfan
    Veteran
    Veteran

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by sandysensfan on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:46 pm

wprager wrote:The players just got $10K from the NHLPA. That's not going to last very long for some of them. But are guys playing in the AHL eligible? If not, I'd be they are pissed off.

That's barely enough to keep their wives in shoes!! LOL
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:00 pm

sandysensfan wrote:
    wprager wrote:The players just got $10K from the NHLPA. That's not going to last very long for some of them. But are guys playing in the AHL eligible? If not, I'd be they are pissed off.

Not sure how prevalent that is, to be honest. How many hockey players have trophy wives? If rumors are to be believed, Pronger's wife was like that. Bibi Alfredsson looks pretty down to earth, as does Neil's wife.

Anyhow, $10K won't go very far in this day and age. It'll pay the rent for the next few months, and that's about it. The players better have been saving for that rainy season the last couple of seasons.

sandysensfan
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by sandysensfan on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:44 pm

wprager wrote:
    sandysensfan wrote:

Not sure how prevalent that is, to be honest. How many hockey players have trophy wives? If rumors are to be believed, Pronger's wife was like that. Bibi Alfredsson looks pretty down to earth, as does Neil's wife.

Anyhow, $10K won't go very far in this day and age. It'll pay the rent for the next few months, and that's about it. The players better have been saving for that rainy season the last couple of seasons.

It was a joke... and yes some of the wifes are 'trophy' but a lot of them are not...

The star players will be okay... It's the ones making league minimum or just above that -- that suffer in this... but this is all about protecting the star players.

If the NHLPA agrees to Bettmans idea of players meeting with the Owners... the superstar players should not be in the meeting...
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:21 am

If you've made 1M last year and can't survive a year after that, I suggest you go watch some documentaries on third world countries Laugh1
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:33 am

LeKid wrote:If you've made 1M last year and can't survive a year after that, I suggest you go watch some documentaries on third world countries Laugh1

If you made $1M last year, but your agent takes $150K of that and you're paying close to 40% of the rest in taxes, that leaves $510K.

Man, that's still a lot of dough.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:39 pm

Well, I'm supportive of real labour peace in the NHL. The owners proposal would just ensure we'd be facing another lockout in 5-7 years... it would be a re-run of the past lockouts.

If Fehr thinks he can help forge a system that promotes true labour peace, then let's do that. Now. I don't want to have the sport going through this every single time the CBA is due. It will erode confidence by all the sponsors and fans etc...

The players are probably sick of all this lockout crap and have given Fehr the mandate to fix it.

Well, let's fix this now and have peace going forward. I don't want a system that keeps stopping like this.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:22 pm

Heh. Heatley and Melnyk should be in that players/owners meeting... can discuss "honouring contracts" and what not...
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:33 pm

Some rumblings 'round the net that the NHL/PA meeting could happen on Tuesday ahead of the NHL BOG meeting on Wed. That would be good timing, then owners can take what they hear from the players to the meeting.

#daretodream
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:51 pm

shabbs wrote:Heh. Heatley and Melnyk should be in that players/owners meeting... can discuss "honouring contracts" and what not...

Yeah, maybe Eugene can ask Dany to "make him whole".

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:48 pm

Via Aaron Ward: Source,Meeting involving NHL Owners and Players to take place Tuesday with 6 Owners and approximately same number of players.

https://twitter.com/aaronward_nhl/status/275354874802212865
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:58 pm

shabbs wrote:Via Aaron Ward: Source,Meeting involving NHL Owners and Players to take place Tuesday with 6 Owners and approximately same number of players.

I'm curious to know who'll be there and how they were chosen.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:59 pm

shabbs wrote:Via Aaron Ward: Source,Meeting involving NHL Owners and Players to take place Tuesday with 6 Owners and approximately same number of players.

Geez, how long did that take? When did Bettman first suggest it, Thursday?

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:32 pm

Daren Millard ‏@darenmillard wrote:

U joke but I wouldn't doubt it"@KickingFrog22: @darenmillard They still need to decide on the shape of the table and who sits next whom."

I bet no-one wants to sit next to Kessel.

Last edited by wprager on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:22 pm

Owners that will be in attendance are:

Owners are Jacobs (BOS), Edwards (CAL) Burkle (PIT) Chipman (WIN), Tanenbaum (TOR), Vinik (TBL). Awaiting players roster.

https://twitter.com/SportsnetSpec/status/275365959877939200

Good luck with Jacobs there.

NHLPA wanted to have the mediators present as well, but the NHL refused.

Nice.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:41 pm

NHLPA statement regarding the Players/Owners meeting:

http://www.nhlpa.com/news/statement-from-don-fehr-regarding-players-and-owners-meeting

By NHLPA Staff //
    December 2, 2012 //
    CBA Updates, Media Releases

TORONTO (December 2, 2012): Don Fehr, NHLPA Executive Director issued the following statement this evening regarding a meeting between Owners and Players later this week:

The NHLPA has agreed to a meeting on Tuesday in New York that should facilitate dialogue between Players and Owners. Neither the Commissioner nor I will be present, although each side will have a limited number of staff or counsel present.

There will be Owners attending this meeting who have not previously done so, which is encouraging and which we welcome. We hope that this meeting will be constructive and lead to a dialogue that will help us find a way to reach an agreement.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:48 am