wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47964
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: NHL CBA Talk

Post by wprager on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:32 pm

Daren Millard ‏@darenmillard wrote:

U joke but I wouldn't doubt it"@KickingFrog22: @darenmillard They still need to decide on the shape of the table and who sits next whom."

I bet no-one wants to sit next to Kessel.

Last edited by wprager on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:22 pm

Owners that will be in attendance are:

Owners are Jacobs (BOS), Edwards (CAL) Burkle (PIT) Chipman (WIN), Tanenbaum (TOR), Vinik (TBL). Awaiting players roster.

https://twitter.com/SportsnetSpec/status/275365959877939200

Good luck with Jacobs there.

NHLPA wanted to have the mediators present as well, but the NHL refused.

Nice.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:41 pm

NHLPA statement regarding the Players/Owners meeting:

http://www.nhlpa.com/news/statement-from-don-fehr-regarding-players-and-owners-meeting

By NHLPA Staff //
    December 2, 2012 //
    CBA Updates, Media Releases

TORONTO (December 2, 2012): Don Fehr, NHLPA Executive Director issued the following statement this evening regarding a meeting between Owners and Players later this week:

The NHLPA has agreed to a meeting on Tuesday in New York that should facilitate dialogue between Players and Owners. Neither the Commissioner nor I will be present, although each side will have a limited number of staff or counsel present.

There will be Owners attending this meeting who have not previously done so, which is encouraging and which we welcome. We hope that this meeting will be constructive and lead to a dialogue that will help us find a way to reach an agreement.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by shabbs on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:44 pm

Players will have legal counsel and reps present. Makes sense.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:06 pm

So Daly will be in attendance on the owners side, but no Bettman or D. Fehr. No word on who will be there on the players side. But if Daly is there, I'd guess S. Fehr will be there.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:10 pm

shabbs wrote:Players will have legal counsel and reps present. Makes sense.

Makes sens how? Not arguing, but just wondering. Macramalla said something along similar lines, but I don't get it. They are big boys. It's not like anyone will be asking them to sign anything.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:14 pm

wprager wrote:
    shabbs wrote:Players will have legal counsel and reps present. Makes sense.

Makes sens how? Not arguing, but just wondering. Macramalla said something along similar lines, but I don't get it. They are big boys. It's not like anyone will be asking them to sign anything.
    It makes sense in that both sides want to make sure nothing is said there that will cause/show weakness. You didn't think the players would be all alone with the owners? Are you kidding me?

Which is starting to make me think this too will be useless...
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:35 pm

Via Joey Vendetta: I hear players in #NHL #NHLPA mtg will be parros, miller, toews, crosby, ott, doan. Love that line up I'd pay huge $ for Jacobs/Miller audio

https://twitter.com/RadioVendetta/status/275437755549503489
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20866
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:27 pm

Doan's owner will be in the room kind of
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 9235
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

Post by Hoags on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:29 pm

The whole meeting will be a joke just like the mediation. Either the players cave in or they don't and decertify.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20866
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:34 am

Are you Cussing kidding Hoags? Do you know the power and influence that Parros' moustache yields? This CBA is signed, sealed, and delivered on Tuesday, GUARANTEED.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:07 am

Big Ev wrote:Are you Cussing kidding Hoags? Do you know the power and influence that Parros' moustache yields? This CBA is signed, sealed, and delivered on Tuesday, GUARANTEED.

Dr. Poo? Confused!
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 7422
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

Post by rooneypoo on Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:51 am

Big Ev wrote:Are you Cussing kidding Hoags? Do you know the power and influence that Parros' moustache yields? This CBA is signed, sealed, and delivered on Tuesday, GUARANTEED.

It's true. The 'stache asks for nothing -- all comes by way of free gift. Honourable offerings will be made in homage. Nod

In all seriousness, if this is true, it's a strong indicator as to the level of respect that Parros gets from his peers, because he's being sent in to represent all the non-stars out there.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:25 am

I thought Ott was there to represent the non-stars; Parros is there to take care of Jacobs and establish a new alpha in the room.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:26 am

They should make this a Pay Per View event. It would rake in a TON of money... well, maybe not, but it would be fun to see. Especially if a fight broke out.

Having Jacobs in the room will tick off the players for sure. Hopefully they can actually have a frank conversation and present their sides. I don't expect much from this, but it would be nice for each side to hear how they feel from the other side and dispel this myth of "Fehr is polluting the players minds" and "Bettman is strong arming the owners..."
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoags on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:29 am

Parros was also an economics major at Princeton, probably one of the few players who can really understand the economic issues at play here.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Hoags on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:50 am

http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/2012/12/don-fehr-may-yet-win-this-this-what-that-will-look-like-what-would-constitute-an-nhlpa-victory-over-the-nhl-in-this-curren.html

Now, we're back to plain old "You're trying to rip us off." The "make whole" issue has been turned into players fighting back against a league effort to "tear up" existing contracts. Fear and loathing abounds, which makes it hard to make a whole lot of progress, and creates scenes like Chris Campoli screaming insults at Craig Leipold.

Give Fehr credit. In a take-back scenario, he didn't have a lot of cards to play. All he could really do was find a way to make the players believe this was about their manhood, about standing up to the owners, about making amends for turning on one another in the last lockout.

To have any cards to play in this negotiation, Fehr needed to rally the players around the concept that despite the fact salaries had increased substantially since the last lockout, the 2005 CBA was their Treaty of Versailles. This required some finesse. Fehr, rather than working on a new deal, talked from the start about the massive give-backs of that CBA, and the vital need not to capitulate again.

He needed to make this negotiation about the past, not the future.

The best way to achieve that goal was to unite the players behind a secondary idea, the idea that the owners were and are lying to them at every turn, that they won't bargain fairly, that the players are giving and giving more and more not getting anything in return, that Bettman and Jacobs and the rest of them are trying to take food off the table of today's player and the player of the future.

It doesn't have to be true to work.

Cox with a (surprisingly) good article on the NHLPA's tactics and spin.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:00 am

Hoags wrote:Parros was also an economics major at Princeton, probably one of the few players who can really understand the economic issues at play here.

He was an economics major that has never spent a cent of his own money in any real business and has no experience in a board room.

He studied theory, never practiced it. He hasn't lived in the real world of business despite being well educated. Problem with a lot of youth today to be honest.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:56 pm