NHL CBA Talk

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 33 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 63 of 67]

931 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:41 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet wrote:

Just a quick note from a team exec. Hearing that players were impressed with Bettman's demeanour tonight. Might be a chance.

So that's all it took? Demeanor? Could have saved the owners a few hundred million if he cracked a smile earlier.

932 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:07 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran
I know it's Eklund... BUT

*************UPDATE 10:18
Just spoke w/ source regarding the NHLPA's counter,,,"The NHLPA tweaked some big issues but didn't introduce anything new. Still some negotiating to do...Meeting tomorrow

933 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:51 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lockout/2012/12/31/spector_on_cba_nhl_nhlpa_dont_expect_another_rout/

The article is fairly interesting, but the comments even more so. The fanbase appears to be still very much divided. There are some (like me, I guess) who think Fehr may have won the battle but at the cost of the players now being exposed for being "greedy, spoiled, self entitled prima donnas". Others are still on the Bettman hate wagon (which does not, necessarily, mean they are on the players' side, by the way), saying how he's finally decided to act like an adult, opening the way to some real communication and negotiation.

I can't really disagree with either side, but both were childish in their own way. Both of them lost their employers hundreds of millions of dollars that will never be recovered. The owners don't have a 5-year average career, so most of them will be around for the recovery. They still could have settled this a lot sooner, of course, and Bettman is partly to blame, but the league will eventually recover and the owners will still be there to share in the expansion fees. The players, well, in two years' time I'd be a third of them will no-longer be in the NHL. Maybe even more. Regardless of where the cap is, 50/50 will bring their salaries way down. There won't be any escrow checks next October (or the amount will be much smaller than what was put into escrow initially).

934 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Full talks resume at 5; smaller groups meeting in the interim:

Ian Mendes ‏@ian_mendes wrote:

Full CBA talks aren't expected to resume until 5pm ET. Before then, there will be small group meetings and conference calls.

935 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:10 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Who is this Ryan Lambert? Fehr won? Really? They lost 40% (min) of their wages this year -- even if revenues stay flat, that's $684M (40% of 50% of $3.3B). And since revenues *will fall* (it's not an "if" but an "OMG how much?" at this point) they will lose a lot more than that over the next few years. Of course in 3-4 years it really won't matter -- for half the players in the league now; since they won't be in the NHL anymore. And since the elite will continue to get their $$$, and without fancy contract shenanigans they will actually count all of it against the cap, and since the cap will be lower (50% of a smaller revenue base), that means the rest of the roster will be squeezed badly. No more average players making $2-3M, as they will be replaced by rookies and AHL callups, or will be forced to take a 2-way contract.

Yeah, thanks Don. Thanks for winning it for us.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/learned-spin-want-don-fehr-won-lockout-162641246--nhl.html

936 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:52 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Cautious optimism:

Shawn Simpson ‏@SSimpsonHockey wrote:

CBA talks appear to be headed in the right direction! Spoke to a current player and GM! I won't believe it until I see it! #Positive2013News

937 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:52 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
I wonder how many New Year's Resolutions included not spending a dime on NHL?

938 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:56 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle wrote:

A 48-game NHL season over 103 days (until May 1) would be 3.26 games a week. Normal regular season rate is roughly 3.05 a week.

Compressed schedule means more injuries, we all know that. Having depth on the farm will certainly be useful. And those teams that are close to the cap will have to be careful.

I assume the cap will be pro-rated to the reduced schedule.

939 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:31 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Talks pushed back to 6:30 - 7PM.

940 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:25 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Via Aaron Ward:

"Don and Steve Fehr, along with NHLPA staff have left NHL offices. #TSN"

"NHLPA departure was end to the smaller group meetings with the NHL.NHLPA will return with full group for 7 PM meeting tonight. #TSN"

"During tonights meeting,expect to get the NHL's response to the proposal NHLPA made yesterday. #TSN"

https://twitter.com/aaronward_nhl

941 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:45 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Hey, nice of you to finally show up. Cooking a tenderloin roast here, could really have used a tip. Seen 325, 350, 425 and 450 as cooking temperatures. If it comes out wrong I blame you. Dammit!

942 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:49 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Was in Ottawa for the New Year.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

For Tenderloin, 450 is a good temp to use.

943 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:13 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:Was in Ottawa for the New Year.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

For Tenderloin, 450 is a good temp to use.

S Novym Godom!

I ended up going with 350 convection roast after searing it in a pan for a few minutes. One recipe I read had you sear it at 450 in the oven instead of pan, for 30 minutes, then let it rest; that comes out pretty rare, and with 4 kids I have to go medium, at most. Anyhow, it's a tiny bit overcooked (checked it after 40 and it was just nudging 140, so I left it in an extra 15 and it was at 150 even before resting); but I tried a bit and it's still a tiny bit pink and soft as a marshmallow. Maybe when they're older they'll appreciate medium-rare, but for now it's got to be medium-well.

Tenderloin roast, home made scalloped potatoes and a lemon meringue pie. Tomorrow I'm back at work. This feels like the last meal of a condemned man.

944 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:56 pm

Oglethorpe

Veteran
Veteran
wprager wrote:Hey, nice of you to finally show up. Cooking a tenderloin roast here, could really have used a tip. Seen 325, 350, 425 and 450 as cooking temperatures. If it comes out wrong I blame you. Dammit!

945 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:58 pm

Oglethorpe

Veteran
Veteran
wprager wrote:Hey, nice of you to finally show up. Cooking a tenderloin roast here, could really have used a tip. Seen 325, 350, 425 and 450 as cooking temperatures. If it comes out wrong I blame you. Dammit!
Once the weather gets better, I recommend the Reverse Finney Method for preparing your tenderloin roast. Works best on a Green Egg, but I have used it on a Gas grill and it works pretty well. BEST MEAT EVER!!!!!!!

946 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:04 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Via Helene Elliott:

"Start of talks btween NHL, PA delayed"

https://twitter.com/helenenothelen/status/286266889922031616

Seems the NHL is holding things up...

947 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:10 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
shabbs wrote:Via Helene Elliott:

"Start of talks btween NHL, PA delayed"

https://twitter.com/helenenothelen/status/286266889922031616

Seems the NHL is holding things up...

We never did see the PA's counter offer, eh?

948 Re: NHL CBA Talk on Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:15 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator
Oglethorpe wrote:
Once the weather gets better, I recommend the Reverse Finney Method for preparing your tenderloin roast. Works best on a Green Egg, but I have used it on a Gas grill and it works pretty well. BEST MEAT EVER!!!!!!!

What's a Reverse Finney? Sounds like a figure skating move.

P.S. All meat was eaten. I think this is our new New Year's Day meal.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 63 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 33 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum