NHL CBA Talk

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Re: NHL CBA Talk

Post by shabbs on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:26 pm

Apparently some GMs would welcome the chance to dismantle their teams due to "regretful" contracts...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lockout/2013/01/04/report_gary_bettman_nhl_gms_welcome_dismantling_teams/

That seems to be what has pissed off the players.

Wonder who those GMs are?

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:43 pm

Is it possible that things are worse now than they were before?

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:44 pm

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24766
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:56 pm

shabbs wrote:Chris Phillips "furious" over the NHL's dirty moves...

http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/phillips-angered-nhl-tried-to-pull-the-wool-over-players-eyes

Looks like things are progressing nicely.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:57 pm

Shut up Phillips.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Post by shabbs on Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:08 pm

Via Elliott Pap:

"Kevin Bieksa on threat NHL will kill season if no deal by next Thurs: "Deadlines have been moving, changing. They don't really mean much.""

https://twitter.com/ElliottPap/status/287310710860562432

Sounds like the players don't believe anything the NHL says.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:09 pm

Via Chris Johnston:

"Lawyer Shep Goldfein, who represents NHL, told the federal court today that the sides agree they don't need an expedited briefing schedule. "

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/287312444316086272

No surprise, the last thing they want is for this to actually go to court quickly.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13125
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:57 pm

If they kill the season at this point with how close they are and this ends up dismantling the league they're Cussed in the head. I'll equally be pissed at both sides. Dismantling will kill the sens. Diddle this!
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:09 pm

The $5M gap in cap between the NHL and NHLPA translates to $1.5B over 10 years. So, it may seem small, but over the life of the CBA, it adds up.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47957
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:03 pm

shabbs wrote:Chris Phillips "furious" over the NHL's dirty moves...

http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/phillips-angered-nhl-tried-to-pull-the-wool-over-players-eyes

Oh for the love of beer!

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:06 pm

shabbs wrote:Via Elliott Pap:

"Kevin Bieksa on threat NHL will kill season if no deal by next Thurs: "Deadlines have been moving, changing. They don't really mean much.""

https://twitter.com/ElliottPap/status/287310710860562432

Sounds like the players don't believe anything the NHL says.

Kevin's IQ is a lot smaller than his salary, isn't it. This is the first deadline for canceling the season. None of the other deadlines have moved. 48 games starting Jan. 19 is already compressing the season to a game every 2 days.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:09 pm

shabbs wrote:The $5M gap in cap between the NHL and NHLPA translates to $1.5B over 10 years. So, it may seem small, but over the life of the CBA, it adds up.

It's a $5M gap for next season. They are not setting the cap for the season after that as they will use revenue numbers to derive the cap to get the players' share to 50%.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:36 pm

wprager wrote:
    shabbs wrote:The $5M gap in cap between the NHL and NHLPA translates to $1.5B over 10 years. So, it may seem small, but over the life of the CBA, it adds up.

It's a $5M gap for next season. They are not setting the cap for the season after that as they will use revenue numbers to derive the cap to get the players' share to 50%.
    Yeah, true. Will be interesting to see how the cap goes after they get hockey back.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:10 pm

shabbs wrote:
    wprager wrote:

Yeah, true. Will be interesting to see how the cap goes after they get hockey back.

There will be lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:11 am

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lockout/2013/01/04/nhl_lockout_nhlpa_lost_revenues_grange_column/

Back in October, when an 82-game season with a Nov. 2 start date was still possible, the players were supposed to fund the 'make-whole' money out of their own share of future revenues.

They balked, stuck to their original demands and the opportunity passed as the league responded by cancelling the Winter Classic on Nov.2 with regular season games already cancelled through Nov. 30.

When the league came back with $211 million in make whole money out of the owners' share in the first week of November it seemed like that just maybe the NHLPA's determination was paying off.

When they held out a little longer and got the make-whole money up to $300 million in early December it was another victory for solidarity, seemingly.

But how hollow were the victories?

If each week of hockey is worth -- even in a lockout-damaged season -- about $60 million or more to the players in HRR all they've done by waiting is break even, and maybe not even that.

If a deal does get struck in time to start the season on Jan. 19 they will have forgone about $700 million in revenues since Nov. 2 or a million per player on average.

And what he doesn't even touch on in the article (he hints a bit) is the added on effect of the HRR plunging beyond just the lost games. If there is a 48-game season, do not expect revenues to be $3.3B * (48/82). If there had been a full season with no labour disruption is it safe to assume that revenues would have continued to grow 5-7%? Look at the economy numbers in Canada -- generating jobs at a 4x pace to that in the US. Loonie is going up. Fewer people out of work (on both sides of the border), the "Fiscal Cliff" deal -- all of that likely means the revenues would continue to go up. Over the next decade of this new CBA (assuming that's how long it will last) they will have lost billions on both sides. All for $300M "Make Whole" and some stupid contract rules.

Idiots!

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:48 am

This lockout really pooched things. The NHL was rolling along so well.

But, if they had continued to let things continue as they were, the cap would have kept rising and rising and rising... which may not have been good for all teams. The owners want the cap down.

If they get a 48 game season in and playoffs, they'll get back a large portion of the revenue as the majority is playoffs.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:53 am

So voting on the DOI wraps up at 6:00pm today... will we see the PA file a DOI this time? Seems the players were not happy that Fehr didn't do so last time.

sandysensfan
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 3187
    Registration date : 2011-01-04

Post by sandysensfan on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:41 am

My question is.. why did Donald Fehr wait for about 4 days before telling the players about that 'HRR" snafu.. which by that time had already been corrected by the NHL?

What purpose did it fulfil other than putting a wrench into the talks? Or was that his intention?

Both sides risk much if there is no season.

If the NHLPA files the disclaimer... all of the NHL players had better head to Europe.. fans will be irate -- if some of them care at all.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:45 pm