General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47674
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by wprager on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:03 pm

Was that his severance package?

LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by LeCaptain on Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:21 pm

if I was the guy taking the picture, he would be buried somewhere in the Nevada desert right now

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16254
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:09 am

Anyone catch the '93 (or was it '95?) World Jrs game TSN had on the other night? Wade Redden, Bryan McCabe, Alexandre Daigle, Jason Allison...it was great.

The best was when Bob McKenzie (doing colour commentary) was talking about Daigle's great work ethic. It was also funny when he talked about Jason Allison "not being the greatest skater". Did anyone know Allison once had a 92-point season with the Bruins? Wow.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:41 am

tim1_2 wrote:Anyone catch the '93 (or was it '95?) World Jrs game TSN had on the other night? Wade Redden, Bryan McCabe, Alexandre Daigle, Jason Allison...it was great.

The best was when Bob McKenzie (doing colour commentary) was talking about Daigle's great work ethic. It was also funny when he talked about Jason Allison "not being the greatest skater". Did anyone know Allison once had a 92-point season with the Bruins? Wow.

Dude was on the verge of being the best center in the NHL before he hurt his back. He was the perfect player in the dead puck era.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:43 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Anyone catch the '93 (or was it '95?) World Jrs game TSN had on the other night? Wade Redden, Bryan McCabe, Alexandre Daigle, Jason Allison...it was great.

My kid was watching it, remarking how slow the game was, how much holding and hooking was going on. It's funny looking back on it now, but the changes in the rules did make the game a lot faster. I still hate those "automatic" hooking penalties where the stick is parallel to the ice and touching the other player, but there is absolutely no hold going on.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:19 pm

18,000 at the ACC to watch the Marlies, making it a new record for a regular season AHL game. Game is also on SN1. The Marlies are 8-1-1 before the break which explains the sudden interest from the hockey fans in the GTA who have never seen a winning streak.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:02 pm

wprager wrote:18,000 at the ACC to watch the Marlies, making it a new record for a regular season AHL game. Game is also on SN1. The Marlies are 8-1-1 before the break which explains the sudden interest from the hockey fans in the GTA who have never seen a winning streak.
    Marlies did go to the Calder Cup Finals in 2012...
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:06 pm

shabbs wrote:
    wprager wrote:18,000 at the ACC to watch the Marlies, making it a new record for a regular season AHL game. Game is also on SN1. The Marlies are 8-1-1 before the break which explains the sudden interest from the hockey fans in the GTA who have never seen a winning streak.
    Marlies did go to the Calder Cup Finals in 2012...

Hell, the best games the Leafs play is when they get hit with injuries and call up half the Marlies.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:58 am

Canada loses opener in Spengler Cup...

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/1307137--spengler-cup-adler-mannheim-stuns-canada-2-1-in-opener

Adler Mannheim stuns Canada 2-1.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:06 am

SNet looks back at hockey in 2012...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/12/27/nhl_year_in_review2012/

Some good ones in there...
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:18 am

shabbs wrote:SNet looks back at hockey in 2012...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/12/27/nhl_year_in_review2012/

Some good ones in there...

Must be a short article.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:20 am

shabbs wrote:Canada loses opener in Spengler Cup...

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/1307137--spengler-cup-adler-mannheim-stuns-canada-2-1-in-opener

Adler Mannheim stuns Canada 2-1.

Were they all hung over on Jgermeister or something? I can understand losing, but scoring just one lousy goal with all the NHLers in there? Mind you, the winner was scored by an NHLer, too.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:21 pm

Donnybrook in Huntsville:

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:39 pm

The announcer is such a homer, though. The first guy who got into the other bench didn't "fall in", he stepped in forcefully trying to get after someone. *Then* he fell and was surrounded by 3-4 players, but the majority of the other team on the bench just stepped away. So he wasn't being "pummeled by 5 or 6 ... or the entire team". The guy with the stick, he wasn't hitting anyone, looks like he was trying to wedge the stick between players and separate them -- shouldn't use a stick, no way, and he'll get suspended for that, for sure, but to say that was a "wussy move" was just another homer remark.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:41 pm

Meanwhile, over in Europe, in his last game with Jokerit, Karlsson scored a goal and added 4 assists, while getting *17* shots on goal. Maybe that was a typo. I know in some leagues they counts shot attempts (wide ones and blocked ones count). Anyhow, he was on pace for 62 points, and the all time single season record for a defenseman is 53.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:02 am

RDS negotiated a deal with the KHL. They will show 8 games in January, plus the All Star Game. Gotta be better than what I've seen so far of the Spengler Cup. And I get RDS in HD. Bonus.

Provisional schedule of games to be shown in January 2013:
    Jan. 6 CSKA vs Traktor
    Jan. 8 Lev vs Metallurg Mg
    Jan. 10 CSKA vs Metallurg Mg
    Jan. 16 - Avangard vs CSKA
    Jan. 22 - Dynamo Moscow vs SKA
    Jan. 26 - Dynamo Moscow vs Traktor
    Jan. 28 - Dynamo Moscow vs Metallurg Mg
    Jan. 30 SKA vs Metallurg Mg

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16254
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:57 am

wprager wrote:RDS negotiated a deal with the KHL. They will show 8 games in January, plus the All Star Game. Gotta be better than what I've seen so far of the Spengler Cup. And I get RDS in HD. Bonus.

Provisional schedule of games to be shown in January 2013:
    Jan. 6 CSKA vs Traktor
    Jan. 8 Lev vs Metallurg Mg
    Jan. 10 CSKA vs Metallurg Mg
    Jan. 16 - Avangard vs CSKA
    Jan. 22 - Dynamo Moscow vs SKA
    Jan. 26 - Dynamo Moscow vs Traktor
    Jan. 28 - Dynamo Moscow vs Metallurg Mg
    Jan. 30 SKA vs Metallurg Mg

I wonder if they still will broadcast the KHL games when the NHL is back? Probably different timeslots anyway.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:00 pm

Won't have to worry until the 22nd. If ever.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:30 am