Random household issues -- questions asked and answered here

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16166
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Re: Random household issues -- questions asked and answered here

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:38 am

Of course you need to post pictures. I wouldn't give anything posted without pictures a second thought.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47524
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:22 pm

Ever try to take a picture of a mirror? Unless it's got an interesting shape (not a square) or a frame, there really isn't much to take a picture of other than your reflection.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:59 pm

wprager wrote:Ever try to take a picture of a mirror?  Unless it's got an interesting shape (not a square) or a frame, there really isn't much to take a picture of other than your reflection.

Doesn't matter. If you're posting stuff, even for free, it's gotta go with a picture. That's Internet 101.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by wprager on Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:34 pm

Got our son a birthday/belated graduation gift today -- an electric guitar (fairly decent one for a starter). Should have gotten one of these as well:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/vox-amplug-2-ac30-guitar-headphone-amp

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:08 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Ordered the "Defy Extreme" stuff from the States.  After shipping, taxes, and brokerage, I expect to pay about $300 CAD for a 5 gallon pail of the stuff.  

The Behr Premium stuff at Home Depot goes for about $250 CAD (after tax) for 5 gallons.  

Remind me to report back in two or three years when I find out if it was worth the cash or not.

Time to report back, Tim.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:17 pm

Just ordered another Xiaomi phone. A while back I dropped my Note 3 in the locker room at the gym. Didn't have a case (was waiting an unusually long time for shipping).  Finally going to replace it.

This time around I'm getting a Mi5. It's a slightly smaller screen (5.15" vs 5.5"); I found the Note 3 a little too big.  The Mi5 was their flagship last year (the Mi6 is coming out later this summer,  I believe). Hopefully the tempered glass and covers I ordered arrive not too long after the phone,  this time.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:53 pm

wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Ordered the "Defy Extreme" stuff from the States.  After shipping, taxes, and brokerage, I expect to pay about $300 CAD for a 5 gallon pail of the stuff.  

The Behr Premium stuff at Home Depot goes for about $250 CAD (after tax) for 5 gallons.  

Remind me to report back in two or three years when I find out if it was worth the cash or not.

Time to report back,  Tim.

That's funny. Yeah, the stain sucked, like every other stain I've ever seen or used.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager Yesterday at 12:37 pm

It's time to move on mounting the TVs on the wall. After all we paid Mattamy for the "media-ready wall" for a reason.

Looks like with the exchange and shipping costs I can get the cables and wall mounts from Factory Direct for the same cost as Monoprice.

I called AVExperts and they quoted $280 to hang Boothe TVs. I'm pretty sure everyone here will recommend that I do it myself (I have a nephew-in-law who is a few blocks away and has done this at least a couple times, and he could help).

Don't tell me why I should do it myself; instead, two me why I should pay someone.

P.S. The media ready wall consists of a conduit for the cables, wall outlet up high, 2" x 8" or x 6" between the studs. I think we overpaid.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 Yesterday at 1:21 pm

The only reason to pay someone is that they're on the hook if something goes wrong. These things are pretty foolproof though if you follow the instructions. Oh, and assuming the TV is large (over 50"), have three people there, so there's an extra person to catch it if required.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:53 am