General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48313
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by wprager on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:12 pm

A blow like that could break your orbital, detach your retina, all kinds of nasty. Even if it hit above the puck could hit the eyeball as well, or even deflect down.

LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by LeCaptain on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:18 pm

Don Cherry must be proud. If he loses his eye he should just blame himself.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:20 pm

LeKing wrote:Don Cherry must be proud. If he loses his eye he should just blame himself.

I like Grapes, but that's one thing I never agreed with.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54632
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:25 pm

God, I hope he's okay. That's horrible. Visors should have been mandatory a long time ago FFS.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:26 pm

On second look, it looks like his eyebrow.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:28 am

I really want to know how insurance companies let NHL teams get away with this...

Either way, grandfather them in like they did with helmets, problem solved.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:37 am

Blackhawks won again last night. That's their 10th win in a row. Point streak extended to 23 games. Wow. Hossa with a beauty to boot. He was honoured for his 1000th NHL game before the puck dropped. Nice night for him.

Chicago is 10 points ahead of the next best team in the West. Holy crap.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:00 am

shabbs wrote:Blackhawks won again last night. That's their 10th win in a row. Point streak extended to 23 games. Wow. Hossa with a beauty to boot. He was honoured for his 1000th NHL game before the puck dropped. Nice night for him.

The last time the Hawks lost in regulation is March 25, 2012. That's almost as long as it's been since Zack Smith's last goal. In fact, since they've only lost SO games since then, they have not lost in regulation or OT in 29 games, putting them in sole possession of 2nd (were tied with Montreal's 22-0-6 streak). The NHL record, of course, is Philadelphia's 35 game unbeaten streak. Now, back in those days, if you were tied after the 5 minute OT, both teams got a single point and went home. There was no shootout, so even though the Hawks have lost 6 of those 29 games, they were all shootout losses and, under the old rules, would have simply been ties.

So, comparing apples and apples, the Philly streak was 25-0-10, an the Hawks are 23-0-6. Remarkably close. If they reach 35 without losing in regulation or OT *I* will consider them tied with the Flyers.

Now, consider this -- back in those days, they also didn't have loser points, so teams played it very safe in OT, simply waiting for the opposition to make a mistake. Most OT games ended up as ties, so the Flyers had 10 somewhat easier games to not lose.

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:20 am

wprager wrote:
    shabbs wrote:Blackhawks won again last night. That's their 10th win in a row. Point streak extended to 23 games. Wow. Hossa with a beauty to boot. He was honoured for his 1000th NHL game before the puck dropped. Nice night for him.

The last time the Hawks lost in regulation is March 25, 2012. That's almost as long as it's been since Zack Smith's last goal. In fact, since they've only lost SO games since then, they have not lost in regulation or OT in 29 games, putting them in sole possession of 2nd (were tied with Montreal's 22-0-6 streak). The NHL record, of course, is Philadelphia's 35 game unbeaten streak. Now, back in those days, if you were tied after the 5 minute OT, both teams got a single point and went home. There was no shootout, so even though the Hawks have lost 6 of those 29 games, they were all shootout losses and, under the old rules, would have simply been ties.

So, comparing apples and apples, the Philly streak was 25-0-10, an the Hawks are 23-0-6. Remarkably close. If they reach 35 without losing in regulation or OT *I* will consider them tied with the Flyers.

Now, consider this -- back in those days, they also didn't have loser points, so teams played it very safe in OT, simply waiting for the opposition to make a mistake. Most OT games ended up as ties, so the Flyers had 10 somewhat easier games to not lose.

Pretty incredible. All this with a goaltender who many thought wasn't good enough (and perhaps still think that) and Ray Emery, who is 9-0-1 or something thus far this year.
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 9235
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

Post by Hoags on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:44 am

SpezDispenser wrote:Pretty incredible. All this with a goaltender who many thought wasn't good enough (and perhaps still think that) and Ray Emery, who is 9-0-1 or something thus far this year.

Never mind Emery, I didn't think Crawford was good enough, pretty much the same team as last year no ? (well they added Saad).
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24783
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:46 am

Not sure where to post this but I think it's pretty important to participate since this is a great alternative to Team 1200 whenever they have less desirable content.

In the morning, for instance, when McGuire is done on 1200, you can switch to 690 to hear either Bob McKenzie or Darren Dreger. Plus, they have McGuire, Pierre LeBrun and Elliotte Friedman in the 5 - 6.30pm block.

http://www.canadiansdeservemore.ca/petitions/tsn690
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16509
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:50 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:Not sure where to post this but I think it's pretty important to participate since this is a great alternative to Team 1200 whenever they have less desirable content.

In the morning, for instance, when McGuire is done on 1200, you can switch to 690 to hear either Bob McKenzie or Darren Dreger. Plus, they have McGuire, Pierre LeBrun and Elliotte Friedman in the 5 - 6.30pm block.

http://www.canadiansdeservemore.ca/petitions/tsn690

For suresies. Petition signed.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24783
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:06 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    shabbs wrote:Hamrlik on waivers...

Dreger: Waivers: Boychuk awarded to NSH from PIT. Pit places Kostopoulos and Wsh places Hamrlik on Waivers.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/308986029224898561

Would not be surprised to see him snapped up.

The Hammer to Ottawa?!?!?!? Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

Looks like the Rags beat Ottawa to the punch.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:12 pm

Hoags wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:Pretty incredible. All this with a goaltender who many thought wasn't good enough (and perhaps still think that) and Ray Emery, who is 9-0-1 or something thus far this year.

Never mind Emery, I didn't think Crawford was good enough, pretty much the same team as last year no ? (well they added Saad).

I still don't think Emery and Crawford can lead them to a Cup. I'll admit if I'm wrong, but that's the kind of tending that gets you bounced by the 3rd round IMO.

We'll see...

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:13 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
    Hoags wrote:

I still don't think Emery and Crawford can lead them to a Cup. I'll admit if I'm wrong, but that's the kind of tending that gets you bounced by the 3rd round IMO.

We'll see...

Chris Osgood.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:16 pm

Rangers have claimed D Roman Hamrlik off waivers.

LeBrun said they were considering it even before the Staal injury.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:17 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    shabbs wrote:Hamrlik on waivers...

Dreger: Waivers: Boychuk awarded to NSH from PIT. Pit places Kostopoulos and Wsh places Hamrlik on Waivers.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/308986029224898561

Would not be surprised to see him snapped up.

The Hammer to Ottawa?!?!?!? Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh!

Looks like the Rags beat Ottawa to the punch.
    And you beat me to the punch.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:18 pm

NJD claim Tom Kotsopoulos from PIT off waivers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:09 am