General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Share

    NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 20732
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

    General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by NEELY on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:11 pm

    I'll just say this about Elliott, he has all the tools to be a solid NHL goaltender but you can't account for how weak someone is mentally... you can't count on a goaltender like that.
    avatar
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

    Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by shabbs on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:22 pm

    I'll just say this about visors. If a player wants to be a dumb Donkey and take the risk of losing an eye by not wearing a visor, fine by me. He's taking on the risk and it is not affecting any other player on the ice. That player will have to live with their decision if they lose an eye or their vision.

    Until the insurance companies start to put in clauses about losing coverage for an eye injury if the player is not wearing a visor, nothing will change and it will remain a player option. The trend is towards more players wearing visors so that is a good thing and eventually, pretty much everyone will be wearing a visor anyway.

    avatar
    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 9235
    Age : 40
    Location : Mississauga
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by Hoags on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:35 pm

    Insurance companies can only pressure the NHL no ? That pressure would force the NHL to try and get the NHLPA to approve.

    Eye injuries don't happen very often, Concussions happen far more often but only concussion prone players have been cut off (Crosby ?). Not much change on that department either.
    avatar
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10038
    Age : 37
    Location : La Loche, Saskatchewan
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by spader on Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:51 pm

    shabbs wrote:I'll just say this about visors. If a player wants to be a dumb Donkey and take the risk of losing an eye by not wearing a visor, fine by me. He's taking on the risk and it is not affecting any other player on the ice. That player will have to live with their decision if they lose an eye or their vision.

    Until the insurance companies start to put in clauses about losing coverage for an eye injury if the player is not wearing a visor, nothing will change and it will remain a player option. The trend is towards more players wearing visors so that is a good thing and eventually, pretty much everyone will be wearing a visor anyway.


    It affects the other players when he's out, though. Imagine if, instead of a tendon injury, Karlsson had gotten a preventable eye injury. Wouldn't we be saying that he owed it to the team to prevent his injury by wearing a visor? All I mean is that a player that injures himself by being reckless does have an effect on the other people on the team because he effectively takes himself out of commission and the rest of the team has to make due with a call-up.
    avatar
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

    Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by shabbs on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:13 pm

    spader wrote:
    shabbs wrote:I'll just say this about visors. If a player wants to be a dumb Donkey and take the risk of losing an eye by not wearing a visor, fine by me. He's taking on the risk and it is not affecting any other player on the ice. That player will have to live with their decision if they lose an eye or their vision.

    Until the insurance companies start to put in clauses about losing coverage for an eye injury if the player is not wearing a visor, nothing will change and it will remain a player option. The trend is towards more players wearing visors so that is a good thing and eventually, pretty much everyone will be wearing a visor anyway.


    It affects the other players when he's out, though. Imagine if, instead of a tendon injury, Karlsson had gotten a preventable eye injury. Wouldn't we be saying that he owed it to the team to prevent his injury by wearing a visor? All I mean is that a player that injures himself by being reckless does have an effect on the other people on the team because he effectively takes himself out of commission and the rest of the team has to make due with a call-up.
    Yes, that is true, but I was speaking in the sense as it's not an additional safety risk for other players. Same could be said about a helmet, mouth guard though...
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54245
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by PTFlea on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:38 pm

    NEELY wrote:I'll just say this about Elliott, he has all the tools to be a solid NHL goaltender but you can't account for how weak someone is mentally... you can't count on a goaltender like that.

    There can't be a question about his mental game right now. Really no other explanation.

    NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 20732
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by NEELY on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:51 pm

    Markstrom is gonna be ruined in Florida.
    avatar
    dennycrane
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2121
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-17

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by dennycrane on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:16 pm

    SpezDispenser wrote:This can be a really cruel game sometimes. Elliott was stellar last year with St.Louis, this year be literally can't stop a beach ball. Was last year a fluke?

    I'll say this much: The Blues have no need for him anymore with Allen coming up to backup Halak - especially considering Halak went down and Elliott crapped himself to the point where they thrust Allen into play (who was good).

    Where does Elliott end up from here? I believe he's signed to 1 more year @ 1.8 million, but who would possibly take a chance on him?

    Elliott is a good backup goalie on a good team. With confidence, he elevates his game. If he goes into a game thinking he needs a shutout to win, he won't win. 1.8 million is less than the league average salary. He'll get a job.
    avatar
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12030
    Age : 29
    Location : Montreal, QC
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by LeCaptain on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:01 am

    Jeff Carter and the Kings for a cup repeat is my vote.
    I think Chicago is still a bit better but if Quick or Bernier get hot, watch out
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54245
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by PTFlea on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:06 am

    Ouch. Bryz and co blow a 4-1 lead, lose in regulation.
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16256
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by tim1_2 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:09 am

    SpezDispenser wrote:Ouch. Bryz and co blow a 4-1 lead, lose in regulation.

    Which is excellent for Ottawa. We need Winnipeg, the Islanders, Philly, Washington, T-Bay, and Buffalo to keep losing.

    We are currently 5 points clear of 9th. If the Rags beat us tonight, they'll tie us for for 6th. Finishing 6th is exactly where a team wants to wind up, too...that means a first round date with Carolina, which is vastly preferable over the Pens, Habs, or Bruins.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47682
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by wprager on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:45 am

    tim1_2 wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:Ouch. Bryz and co blow a 4-1 lead, lose in regulation.

    Which is excellent for Ottawa. We need Winnipeg, the Islanders, Philly, Washington, T-Bay, and Buffalo to keep losing.

    We are currently 5 points clear of 9th. If the Rags beat us tonight, they'll tie us for for 6th. Finishing 6th is exactly where a team wants to wind up, too...that means a first round date with Carolina, which is vastly preferable over the Pens, Habs, or Bruins.

    Tied for 6th likely means 7th. It would be more than just "nice" to beat them. They are beaten up and tired (OT win last night). Losing Staal is a fairly big blow for them (although we all know how a team already in tatters can lose its Norris-winning best player and still reel off a 5 game winning streak. Still, the Sens were in NYC yesterday, so they'll be nice and rested. The Rangers will be a bit tired, but at least they didn't have to travel far after last night's game.

    Lehner better be in #beastmode.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

    Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by shabbs on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:07 am

    Frazer McLaren challenged Chara to a fight last night... man, is this guy trying to make a name for himself or something? That's a death wish. Chara didn't engage.

    Seguin scored twice last night... the chant from the Boston fans was "Thank you Kessel!" Hilarious.

    NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 20732
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by NEELY on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:10 am

    McLearen for Chara trade off, lol. Chara probably said he makes McLearen's salary in 5 mins.
    avatar
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

    Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by shabbs on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:12 am

    NEELY wrote:McLearen for Chara trade off, lol. Chara probably said he makes McLearen's salary in 5 mins.
    Heh. PMac commented on that regarding the fight he had with DD and the "impact" it had on the game. He commented about McLaren playing 3 minutes in the game. What impact? Wink

    Sponsored content

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:13 am