General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Share

    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48304
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by wprager on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:04 pm

    So much for salaries keeping in line with the cap. Getzlaf will get more than 1/8th of the cap space next year. I think they still have the per-player limit of no more than 20%, which I always thought was way too high. Always thought 10% would be a nice round number, but 15% probably more what the PA would agree to. Well, $8.25 is nearly 13% of the total. I think those salaries work in the NBA because you don't have a 20-man roster.

    NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by NEELY on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:07 pm

    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:
    Hoags wrote:
    NEELY wrote:
    LeKing wrote:AAV of 8.25 Million.
    Perry is gone no question.

    Don't see how they can give him the cash either.

    That said, Perry will be getting over 8 mil for sure from whatever team signs him. Sens better pony up if they want any chance at him.

    Perry would have the highest contract here, Spezza will want that when his time is up. I can't see the Euge throwing out that much.

    Meh, 8.25 for Perry is fine, then is Spez wants that, it's only a 1.25 million increase for one of the best Cs in the league. You pay.

    Not if your name is Eugene.

    Any team that trades for him has the advantage because of the extra year you can offer... pretty big deal.

    Hoags
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 9235
    Registration date : 2009-07-10

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by Hoags on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:08 pm

    NEELY wrote:
    Any team that trades for him has the advantage because of the extra year you can offer... pretty big deal.

    I guess it depends on whether money is the deciding factor. Does he want maximum $$ or does it matter where he goes and if the team is near Cup contention etc.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54631
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by PTFlea on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:11 pm

    8.5 X max years please. I want him here badly - and Melnyk and Murray should too.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54631
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by PTFlea on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:11 pm

    What's Giroux gonna get lol?

    NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 20732
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by NEELY on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:12 pm

    SpezDispenser wrote:8.5 X max years please. I want him here badly - and Melnyk and Murray should too.

    You know Murray does.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48304
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by wprager on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:15 pm

    Why is every one convinced Perry will get over $8M for sure? Centers, typically, get paid more than wingers. We just happen to need a top-line winger and not a center, otherwise we would be salivating over Getzlaf a hell of a lot more than Perry.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox

    NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 20732
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by NEELY on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:17 pm

    wprager wrote:Why is every one convinced Perry will get over $8M for sure? Centers, typically, get paid more than wingers. We just happen to need a top-line winger and not a center, otherwise we would be salivating over Getzlaf a hell of a lot more than Perry.

    He won the Hart 2 years ago, has scored 50 goals, has a cup ring, and Olympic gold. Not sure if this is a serious question or not. If Perry doesn't get 8 mil I'll suck my own Wang.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48304
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by wprager on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:22 pm

    NEELY wrote:
    wprager wrote:Why is every one convinced Perry will get over $8M for sure? Centers, typically, get paid more than wingers. We just happen to need a top-line winger and not a center, otherwise we would be salivating over Getzlaf a hell of a lot more than Perry.

    He won the Hart 2 years ago, has scored 50 goals, has a cup ring, and Olympic gold. Not sure if this is a serious question or not. If Perry doesn't get 8 mil I'll suck my own Wang.

    I guess I'm just thinking in a $64M cap world, versus $74M, something's got to give. Of course it'll be the middle-class getting squeezed out again, as usual. Scrubs' salaries keep going up -- $500M league min now, going up $25K each year. The stars will get $8M type contacts. That means no more $4.2M for the Mike Fishers of the world. There's going to be a few NHLers heading overseas next year.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12030
    Age : 30
    Location : Montreal, QC
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by LeCaptain on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:23 pm

    He'll get 8M because someone will give him, pretty simple.
    avatar
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12030
    Age : 30
    Location : Montreal, QC
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by LeCaptain on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:25 pm

    wprager wrote:
    NEELY wrote:
    wprager wrote:Why is every one convinced Perry will get over $8M for sure? Centers, typically, get paid more than wingers. We just happen to need a top-line winger and not a center, otherwise we would be salivating over Getzlaf a hell of a lot more than Perry.

    He won the Hart 2 years ago, has scored 50 goals, has a cup ring, and Olympic gold. Not sure if this is a serious question or not. If Perry doesn't get 8 mil I'll suck my own Wang.

    I guess I'm just thinking in a $64M cap world, versus $74M, something's got to give. Of course it'll be the middle-class getting squeezed out again, as usual. Scrubs' salaries keep going up -- $500M league min now, going up $25K each year. The stars will get $8M type contacts. That means no more $4.2M for the Mike Fishers of the world. There's going to be a few NHLers heading overseas next year.

    That's not how it works. You sign him and you think about the cap later. Who was the last player of this calibre with that pedigree to test free agency? No one.

    NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 20732
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by NEELY on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:28 pm

    The good thing about the Sens is Spezza is only making 5 mil real doallars and 4 mil the year after... Karlsson and Turris are both back loaded, that's leaves a lot of money available now for Perry if he does sign.

    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54631
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by PTFlea on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:52 pm

    I'll also try to suck my own Wang if he makes less than 8.
    avatar
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1917
    Age : 49
    Location : Charleston
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by Oglethorpe on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:06 pm

    We have several positives going for us in the Perry sweeps.

    1) Close to home
    2) Karlsson - Spezza
    3) MacLean
    4) Cap space coming out the a$$
    5) Up and coming team with alot of buzz surrounding the near future.
    6) Assets to trade to Anaheim to get him her NOW!!!!!!!

    avatar
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7429
    Age : 38
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by rooneypoo on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:08 pm

    NEELY wrote:The good thing about the Sens is Spezza is only making 5 mil real doallars and 4 mil the year after... Karlsson and Turris are both back loaded, that's leaves a lot of money available now for Perry if he does sign.


    Holy Dung... I actually totally forgot that we had already extended Turris. Stupid lockout!

    You do have to wonder about the team's 'internal cap.' Spezza's making $7 mil AAV, Karlsson $6.5 mil AAV. Can you bring in a new guy and instantly make him the highest paid player on the team? That's what we'd have to do with Perry. Even 7x7 for him sounds on the low side, given this Getzlaf deal.
    avatar
    Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1917
    Age : 49
    Location : Charleston
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by Oglethorpe on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:14 pm

    I would expect that the internal budget that we have had over the last couple years was predicated on the lockout coming, ticket sales this year and progress on the ice. I have ZERO doubts that Murray has been preparing Melnyk for this for 2 years. Remember Melnyk was ready to open the wallet for Nash.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48304
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by wprager on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:15 pm

    SpezDispenser wrote:I'll also try to suck my own Wang if he makes less than 8.

    Thanks for the visual, guys. Good thing I didn't bring lunch today.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48304
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by wprager on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:16 pm

    LeKing wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    NEELY wrote:
    wprager wrote:Why is every one convinced Perry will get over $8M for sure? Centers, typically, get paid more than wingers. We just happen to need a top-line winger and not a center, otherwise we would be salivating over Getzlaf a hell of a lot more than Perry.

    He won the Hart 2 years ago, has scored 50 goals, has a cup ring, and Olympic gold. Not sure if this is a serious question or not. If Perry doesn't get 8 mil I'll suck my own Wang.

    I guess I'm just thinking in a $64M cap world, versus $74M, something's got to give. Of course it'll be the middle-class getting squeezed out again, as usual. Scrubs' salaries keep going up -- $500M league min now, going up $25K each year. The stars will get $8M type contacts. That means no more $4.2M for the Mike Fishers of the world. There's going to be a few NHLers heading overseas next year.

    That's not how it works. You sign him and you think about the cap later. Who was the last player of this calibre with that pedigree to test free agency? No one.

    Pedigree? Lots. But way pas their "Best Before" date. Couple of them ended up here, as I recall.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox

    Sponsored content

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:46 pm