General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Oglethorpe
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1834
    Registration date : 2010-08-31

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by Oglethorpe on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:14 pm

I would expect that the internal budget that we have had over the last couple years was predicated on the lockout coming, ticket sales this year and progress on the ice. I have ZERO doubts that Murray has been preparing Melnyk for this for 2 years. Remember Melnyk was ready to open the wallet for Nash.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47494
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by wprager on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:15 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:I'll also try to suck my own Wang if he makes less than 8.

Thanks for the visual, guys. Good thing I didn't bring lunch today.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47494
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:16 pm

LeKing wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    NEELY wrote:
    wprager wrote:Why is every one convinced Perry will get over $8M for sure? Centers, typically, get paid more than wingers. We just happen to need a top-line winger and not a center, otherwise we would be salivating over Getzlaf a hell of a lot more than Perry.

He won the Hart 2 years ago, has scored 50 goals, has a cup ring, and Olympic gold. Not sure if this is a serious question or not. If Perry doesn't get 8 mil I'll suck my own Wang.

I guess I'm just thinking in a $64M cap world, versus $74M, something's got to give. Of course it'll be the middle-class getting squeezed out again, as usual. Scrubs' salaries keep going up -- $500M league min now, going up $25K each year. The stars will get $8M type contacts. That means no more $4.2M for the Mike Fishers of the world. There's going to be a few NHLers heading overseas next year.

That's not how it works. You sign him and you think about the cap later. Who was the last player of this calibre with that pedigree to test free agency? No one.

Pedigree? Lots. But way pas their "Best Before" date. Couple of them ended up here, as I recall.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54103
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:24 pm

When you're a team that has depth and is built to win in the very near future, you can't turn your back on a 50 goal, Hart winning, Cup winning winger who goes with Spezza perfectly.

We haven't spent any money lately, we're in the mix with a great coach, but we need a couple of pieces to get to that next level. Whether or not it's Perry isn't gonna necessarily be in our hands, he can choose to sign with 29 other teams obviously, but this is the guy that is the Big Fish to say the least.

Gonchar coming off the books = 4.5 million to spend as I think we'll probably invest in a 'cheap' ish replacement, Latendresse's 1.2 off the books I assume, Alfie will cost, but you pay that with a smile, so that leaves us with...a ton of $$ to pay Perry.

If there's one thing you do as Murray in the off-season, you try to nab Perry, if there's two things you do, you try to nab Perry and Boyle.

Then the sky's the limit. We're pretty close to being true Cup contenders - if not right there.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:34 pm

rooneypoo wrote:
    NEELY wrote:The good thing about the Sens is Spezza is only making 5 mil real doallars and 4 mil the year after... Karlsson and Turris are both back loaded, that's leaves a lot of money available now for Perry if he does sign.

Holy Dung... I actually totally forgot that we had already extended Turris. Stupid lockout!

You do have to wonder about the team's 'internal cap.' Spezza's making $7 mil AAV, Karlsson $6.5 mil AAV. Can you bring in a new guy and instantly make him the highest paid player on the team? That's what we'd have to do with Perry. Even 7x7 for him sounds on the low side, given this Getzlaf deal.

Yah you can because the Cup is the goal. A signed Perry makes the Sens a contender, a trade for Briere makes them even better... and make no mistake, Briere will be traded and doesn't make a lot of cash in real dollars (3 mil and 2 mil for the remaining years).

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:51 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
    shabbs wrote:Getzlaf signs 8-year extension with Ducks.

ThisJustIn!
    :crossarms:
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:54 pm

Cussing NHL owners.

"Waaaaahhhhh we need cost control. We can't control ourselves."

Boom!

Disgustingly long and rich deal for Getzlaf.

No Dung.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:00 pm

Sounds like Heatley's on the move to NJ - if you believe the rumours. The FAN network out of Minny is saying he won't make the trip to Nashville and that he's already waived his NTC.

Alexander Urbom, Henrik Tallinder and at least one pick would go back if this is true.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:01 pm

shabbs wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:
    shabbs wrote:Getzlaf signs 8-year extension with Ducks.

ThisJustIn!
    :crossarms:

Ahhhhh!
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20688
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:04 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:Sounds like Heatley's on the move to NJ - if you believe the rumours. The FAN network out of Minny is saying he won't make the trip to Nashville and that he's already waived his NTC.

Alexander Urbom, Henrik Tallinder and at least one pick would go back if this is true.

LMAO that's a hockeyy insiderr rumour
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:04 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:Sounds like Heatley's on the move to NJ - if you believe the rumours. The FAN network out of Minny is saying he won't make the trip to Nashville and that he's already waived his NTC.

Interesting. Hopefully he diddles up that room good. Wink
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:05 pm

Ev wrote:

Really? If that's where it came from, Diddle that noise.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:05 pm

Ev wrote:

Aw man. Spezz, don't be bringing that humpy bumpy in here.

What's next? An EK rumour?

Facepalm
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:06 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
    Ev wrote:

A minus for you SIR.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:06 pm

http://www.njdevs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=130828

That's where I found it, but they don't think it's reputable either, so nevermind.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:13 pm

shabbs wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:
    Ev wrote:

A minus for you SIR.

:crossarms: You're mean. A minus for being mean. Sad
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:50 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
    shabbs wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:
    Ev wrote:

A minus for you SIR.

:crossarms: You're mean. A minus for being mean. Sad
    Good thing they don't do anything.

Wink
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12730
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:51 pm

I'm not at all surprised by the deal Getzlaf got. what did you guys expect? there's so many restrictions right now that any elite proven player is just gonna get the max now.
    perry will get 7 years at the max and 8 at the max if he resigns with anaheim. that's the incentive to stay with the home club. sign and have that extra year at max.
    seriously, will be interesting to see what's next from the Perry camp. this will unveil by the deadline. you're in or you're out.
    hopefuly it's a signed trade for us... but I doubt it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:00 am