Considering not vaccinating your kids?

    Share
    avatar
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 13620
    Age : 44
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Considering not vaccinating your kids?

    Post by Cap'n Clutch on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:21 pm



    _________________
    "A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

    - Unknown Author
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48186
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Considering not vaccinating your kids?

    Post by wprager on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:14 pm

    I have no problem vaccinating them. The risk from vaccination is far lower than the risk from not vaccinating. Even for the mild diseases like chicken pox, the benefits far outweigh the risks (http://www.squintmom.com/evidence-based-parenting/most-popular-science/should-i-vaccinate-my-child-for-chickenpox/). I must have had chicken pox when I was little because I got shingles when I was in my late thirties (yeah, it usually doesn't get you until you are past 60, but this was a particularly stressful period of my life -- the anticipate arrival of twins, and the very real possibility of losing both). Trust me, your kids will thank you when they see they visit their unvaccinated friends in hostpital, on a morphine drip for shingles.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 20939
    Age : 26
    Location : We The North
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: Considering not vaccinating your kids?

    Post by Ev on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:19 pm

    vaccinating your kids is too mainstream
    avatar
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12030
    Age : 30
    Location : Montreal, QC
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

    Re: Considering not vaccinating your kids?

    Post by LeCaptain on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:28 pm

    I've never been vaccinated until I was 18 (because I was forced to by Canadian Immigration).
    Never had any problems, I actually developped an allergy after that Dammit!
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16444
    Age : 35
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: Considering not vaccinating your kids?

    Post by tim1_2 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:50 am

    I'm vaccinating my kid. In matters like this, I tend to defer to professional opinion, and most doctors recommend vaccinations.
    avatar
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10071
    Age : 37
    Location : Toronto
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: Considering not vaccinating your kids?

    Post by spader on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:27 am

    tim1_2 wrote:I'm vaccinating my kid. In matters like this, I tend to defer to professional opinion, and most doctors recommend vaccinations.
    Whether they recommend vaccinations wouldn't do it for me. I'd wonder if they get vaccinated and/or get their kids vaccinated.
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16444
    Age : 35
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: Considering not vaccinating your kids?

    Post by tim1_2 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:45 am

    spader wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:I'm vaccinating my kid. In matters like this, I tend to defer to professional opinion, and most doctors recommend vaccinations.
    Whether they recommend vaccinations wouldn't do it for me. I'd wonder if they get vaccinated and/or get their kids vaccinated.

    They'll tell you that they vaccinate their own kids.
    avatar
    TheAvatar
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 2728
    Age : 50
    Location : Colorado springs, colorado
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Considering not vaccinating your kids?

    Post by TheAvatar on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:34 am

    It's irresponsible not to. Sorry.
    avatar
    Hobiesens
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

    Number of posts : 810
    Location : Toronto
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-11-06

    Re: Considering not vaccinating your kids?

    Post by Hobiesens on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:38 am

    I agree with their professional opinion because to methey are family. If there was any concern they would let me know. Their kids are vaccinated and so are mine.
    There are no guarantees that the kids can get sick with or without the vaccination however I prefer to have them vaccinated.
    avatar
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 13620
    Age : 44
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Considering not vaccinating your kids?

    Post by Cap'n Clutch on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:52 am

    When it comes to vaccination you should look to the research and what are those involved in that side of it saying. The doctor should know a bit about it and hopefully endorse what research is saying but, the doctor isn't the expert in this area.


    _________________
    "A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

    - Unknown Author
    avatar
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 13620
    Age : 44
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Considering not vaccinating your kids?

    Post by Cap'n Clutch on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:54 am

    LeKing wrote:I've never been vaccinated until I was 18 (because I was forced to by Canadian Immigration).
    Never had any problems, I actually developped an allergy after that Dammit!

    I'm happy for you that you were lucky enough to avoid the dangers that could have befallen you especially when you were a vulnerable infant.


    _________________
    "A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

    - Unknown Author
    avatar
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 10071
    Age : 37
    Location : Toronto
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

    Re: Considering not vaccinating your kids?

    Post by spader on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:17 pm

    tim1_2 wrote:
    spader wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:I'm vaccinating my kid. In matters like this, I tend to defer to professional opinion, and most doctors recommend vaccinations.


    Whether they recommend vaccinations wouldn't do it for me. I'd wonder if they get vaccinated and/or get their kids vaccinated.



    They'll tell you that they vaccinate their own kids.

    That would help me make a decision. Still, I keep thinking about the time when I worked at the Civic Hospital. I heard a few nurses explaining why the majority of nurses weren't getting flu shots. They talked about colleagues getting ill immediately after and other problems. I haven't had a flu shot since.

    TheAvatar wrote:It's irresponsible not to. Sorry.

    It's irresponsible not to vaccinate or decline vaccinations without doing some research. That I can wrap my head around.
    avatar
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 12030
    Age : 30
    Location : Montreal, QC
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

    Re: Considering not vaccinating your kids?

    Post by LeCaptain on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:01 pm

    Cap'n Clutch wrote:
    LeKing wrote:I've never been vaccinated until I was 18 (because I was forced to by Canadian Immigration).
    Never had any problems, I actually developped an allergy after that Dammit!



    I'm happy for you that you were lucky enough to avoid the dangers that could have befallen you especially when you were a vulnerable infant.

    Doctor recommended my parents not to vaccinate me. Different time, different place..

    Sponsored content

    Re: Considering not vaccinating your kids?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:23 pm