General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54135
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by PTFlea on Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:19 pm

Oh boy, they don't have the players to play a Torts system. This should be very interesting.

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20698
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by Ev on Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:26 pm

Torts system changes everywhere he goes, though

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24742
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:28 pm

Ev wrote:Torts system changes everywhere he goes, though

Agreed. He'll adapt to what he thinks he has to work with.
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:37 pm

Rangers' defense and Vancouvers' still lack premium PMDs, so it will be the same system.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12771
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:22 pm

I'll love seeing what happens in Van if Torts is hired. I can't see there being a good mesh. Maybe Gillis pulls a few trades and brings in some extra toughness. I don't see a recipe for success being made there. But it should be funny as Diddle come playoff time
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:17 pm

Flo The Action wrote:I'll love seeing what happens in Van if Torts is hired. I can't see there being a good mesh. Maybe Gillis pulls a few trades and brings in some extra toughness. I don't see a recipe for success being made there. But it should be funny as Diddle come playoff time

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:13 pm

Bernier for Frattin, Scrivens, 2nd round pick (2014 or 2015)

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:17 pm

Crowded crease but the Leafs didn't give up much.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:21 pm

May I ask why you acquire another young goalie who hasn't proven a thing in the league? Shouldn't thčy have looked for a vet tender to help Reimer when he falters and mentor him along the way without giving up another pick and a very promising forwąrd?

Such odd thinking sometimes, but hey, whatever.
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:23 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:May I ask why you acquire another young goalie who hasn't proven a thing in the league?  Shouldn't thčy have looked for a vet tender to help Reimer when he falters and mentor him along the way without giving up another pick and a very promising forwąrd?

Bernier is good. He's very good actually. He's like a 2010 Tuukka Rask
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:24 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:May I ask why you acquire another young goalie who hasn't proven a thing in the league?  Shouldn't thčy have looked for a vet tender to help Reimer when he falters and mentor him along the way without giving up another pick and a very promising forwąrd?

creates competition like Bishop for Conacher trade. Even if Bernier doesn't work out all they lose is Fratting who was a healthy scratch/AHLer a lot of nights.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:30 pm

LeKing wrote:

Relax.

Berneir is decent but he's not better than Reimer right  now.  Crease competition is good but lets not call Bernier anything more than an unproven backup goaltender right now.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:32 pm

Ev wrote:

creates competition like Bishop for Conacher trade. Even if Bernier doesn't work out all they lose is Fratting who was a healthy scratch/AHLer a lot of nights.

Wasn't there already competition between Reimer and scrivener?

I liked frattin. I think he'll be pretty good.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:33 pm

LeKing wrote:

Lets wait and see what happens in the graveyard that is Toronto.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47518
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:05 pm

It's ironic that there's Reimer, pretty much the biggest reason the Leafs made it to the playoffs (and almost to the second round) and he is rewarded with "competition".

sandysensfan
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 3187
    Registration date : 2011-01-04

Post by sandysensfan on Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:16 pm

wprager wrote:It's ironic that there's Reimer, pretty much the biggest reason the Leafs made it to the playoffs (and almost to the second round) and he is rewarded with "competition".  

Bernier is quickly going to discover that the skill of the defense in front of him in Toronto.. isn't even close to the very good defense he had in LA. Would be interesting to see what his numbers will be..
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:37 pm

NEELY wrote:
    LeKing wrote:

Relax.

Berneir is decent but he's not better than Reimer right  now.  Crease competition is good but lets not call Bernier anything more than an unproven backup goaltender right now.

Trending: #Nonnis
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10037
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:00 pm

I like the trade for Toronto. Bernier and Reimer can platoon. If one falters, the other is there to take over. I think it's a good move for them. Now, instead of having Scrivens or Rynnas as a stabilizer when Reimer goes down or sucks, they have a legit option. It'll be interesting to see who starts out as the #1. My money is on Bernier, but who knows.

LA gets a decent top-9 forward, a good back-up, and a 2nd that they can add to another trade or use. All that in exchange for an unproven tender who wouldn't be playing there anyway.

This also shows how good a deal Ottawa got in the Conacher trade. He still may not pan out, but he's got potential and can score dirty goals.

I love a good hockey trade.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:35 am