General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Share

    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47513
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by wprager on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:16 pm

    Hoags wrote:
    wprager wrote:Cap hit is *not* misleading in the least, especially now that they've done away with ridiculous contracts.  Cap hit tells you how much more you need to spend, or how much more you can spend.  It is a good number for year-over-year comparisons of teams.  Ideally you wouldn't have variable contracts and the cap hit and payroll would be the same number (could also help to get rid of agents) but we don't, and the best indicator for the above-mentioned reasons is the cap.
    It's less misleading now but it's still misleading as it is an average.  You still have ridiculous contracts, they're just less ridiculous now.

    Leeder, Melnyk and the Sens don't want to know the average $ of dollars they are spending, they need a precise number.  Player salaries are a fixed cost to the team.

    Right now they are on the hook for $50,877,500.  That's at least how much money Eugene needs in the bank account or someone's pay check will bounce.  They can easily budget in bonuses by looking at the worst case scenario if they need to pay all possible bonuses in a given year.

    Cap hit will only come to play when the team needs to hit the floor or has trouble staying under the cap(LOL not going to happen anytime soon).
    Of course you want to know the average, as it regresses the peaks and valleys to the mean. Business planning needs to look over the longer term (3-5 years or longer).

    sandysensfan
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 3187
    Registration date : 2011-01-04

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by sandysensfan on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:51 pm

    wprager wrote:Bruins about to sign Theodore as backup to Rask.
    Well he's better than the backup Detroit has.... Jonas Gustafsson... Bringing in Alfie & Weiss to shore up the forward positions... and if they lose Howard for any length of time... they are in a huge world of hurt.

    sandysensfan
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 3187
    Registration date : 2011-01-04

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by sandysensfan on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:54 pm

    Hoags wrote:Pittsburgh and Boston are the only "locks" IMO.
    I think Detroit will make it as well, the West is pretty physical and they made it despite a lot of injuries and almost beat Chicago.
    Toronto is far from a lock, they got lucky last year.  Questionable goaltending, questionable D and they can't even resign Kadri and Franson.
    Ottawa should make it as well.
    I'd put Montreal up there as well.

    The rest is a crapshoot IMO, Rangers and Capitals will probably make it.
    Detroit may have had a lot of injuries last season.. but not the type of injuries the Sens had. They would not have made the playoffs if Howard, Zetterberg, Datsyuk and two of their top 3 D were all out at the same time.. (comparable positions to the ones Ottawa were missing).

    DefenceWinsChampionships
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1785
    Age : 87
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-05-23

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by DefenceWinsChampionships on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:56 pm

    sandysensfan wrote:
    wprager wrote:Bruins about to sign Theodore as backup to Rask.
    Well he's better than the backup Detroit has.... Jonas Gustafsson...  Bringing in Alfie & Weiss to shore up the forward positions... and if they lose Howard for any length of time... they are in a huge world of hurt.
    Their D isn't overly impressive either, nor is their overall team toughness. Adding Alfie is one thing, but his production last season was more or less in par with Brunner last year and Weiss has a ton of injury issues.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47513
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by wprager on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:19 pm

    I know this isn't hockey related at all, but Carleton beat the #18 ranked Wisconsin 95-82; the most points the Badgers have given up in *three* years. I'm not even into basketball but holy moly, this is BIG!


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    rooneypoo
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 7422
    Age : 37
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-11

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by rooneypoo on Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:33 am

    wprager wrote:I know this isn't hockey related at all, but Carleton beat the #18 ranked Wisconsin 95-82; the most points the Badgers have given up in *three* years.  I'm not even into basketball but holy moly, this is BIG!
    Carleton's bball team has been a powerhouse for a decade now, ever since they scrapped the football team and funnelled that money into basketball (although football is returning to campus this year).

    We're 4-0 against NCAA competition, yes, but keep in mind that these are pre-season games we're talking about.

    NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 20732
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by NEELY on Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:17 am

    They are playing their 3rd and 4th string players too, lets not pretend Carleton can walk into the NCAA in conference play or the tourny and be anything more than average NCAA Div 1 team and that's even pushing it.
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24741
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:25 am

    NEELY wrote:They are playing their 3rd and 4th string players too, lets not pretend Carleton can walk into the NCAA in conference play or the tourny and be anything more than average NCAA Div 1 team and that's even pushing it.
    Carleton to the Sweet East or even the Big Seven?!?!?! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! A dark horse for the March Mayhem?!?!?! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! 
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47513
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by wprager on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:53 am

    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    NEELY wrote:They are playing their 3rd and 4th string players too, lets not pretend Carleton can walk into the NCAA in conference play or the tourny and be anything more than average NCAA Div 1 team and that's even pushing it.
    Carleton to the Sweet East or even the Big Seven?!?!?! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! A dark horse for the March Mayhem?!?!?! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! 
    Let's see how they fare against Syracuse.

    NEELY, where do you get your "facts" about them playing their third stringers? The lineup against the Ravens was Jackson, Brust, Gasser, Dekker, Kaminsky. Three of those are in the top-5 on the Badgers' roster for PPG and have played all 35 games (Brust, Dekker, Jackson) and Kaminsky is up there as well (32 games). The last one -- Gasser -- was supposed to be a starter but tore his ACL; this trip through Canada is his return to the lineup.

    Who are the third/fourth stringers?

    Now, I'll admit that I know next to nothing about basketball apart from a couple March Madness pools where I quickly learned how little I knew. So I rely on info I can find online -- took me about 5 minutes to look up the starting lineup (from a replay of a live blog from the game) and from there to check out the Badgers' stats to see who their top players really are. How long did you spend on deciding to dismiss this game as being just a win against a bunch of third stringers?


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox

    NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 20732
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by NEELY on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:59 am

    wprager wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    NEELY wrote:They are playing their 3rd and 4th string players too, lets not pretend Carleton can walk into the NCAA in conference play or the tourny and be anything more than average NCAA Div 1 team and that's even pushing it.
    Carleton to the Sweet East or even the Big Seven?!?!?! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! A dark horse for the March Mayhem?!?!?! Ahhhhh! Ahhhhh! 
    Let's see how they fare against Syracuse.  

    NEELY, where do you get your "facts" about them playing their third stringers?  The lineup against the Ravens was Jackson, Brust, Gasser, Dekker, Kaminsky.  Three of those are in the top-5 on the Badgers' roster for PPG and have played all 35 games (Brust, Dekker, Jackson) and Kaminsky is up there as well (32 games).  The last one -- Gasser -- was supposed to be a starter but tore his ACL; this trip through Canada is his return to the lineup.

    Who are the third/fourth stringers?

    Now, I'll admit that I know next to nothing about basketball apart from a couple March Madness pools where I quickly learned how little I knew.  So I rely on info I can find online -- took me about 5 minutes to look up the starting lineup (from a replay of a live blog from the game) and from there to check out the Badgers' stats to see who their top players really are.  How long did you spend on deciding to dismiss this game as being just a win against a bunch of third stringers?
    They are played sparingly to say the least for the most part. These are tuneup games for NCAA teams and ya, Carleton is good enough to hang with them in ex games but put them into division play and Div 1 it would be a little different with those players you mentioned playing 35-40 mins a night.
    avatar
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 20693
    Age : 26
    Location : We The North
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by Ev on Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:40 am

    Had class with the top ballers in the nation, Phil Scrubb and Tyson Hinz. Respect.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47513
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by wprager on Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:39 am

    Douglas Murray to the Habs, 1 year. Salary not yet released.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47513
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by wprager on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:25 pm

    $1.5M for Murray.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54125
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by PTFlea on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:55 pm

    He's still good, but man...there's no slower player in the NHL I don't think.
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24741
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:21 pm

    Nice add for the 'nucks.

    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/canucks-re-sign-defenceman-chris-tanev/article13914076/

    -------

    http://www.gmhockey.com/viewtopic.forum?t=5922
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47513
    Age : 55
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by wprager on Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:09 pm

    Why is this locked?


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox

    Sponsored content

    Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:56 am