Terrible bus/train accident claims 6 lives

    Share

    sandysensfan
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 3187
    Registration date : 2011-01-04

    Re: Terrible bus/train accident claims 6 lives

    Post by sandysensfan on Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:54 pm

    wprager wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    SpezDispenser wrote:Oh, I think the driver of that bus was either suicidal or had a heart attack or fell asleep.  There's something rotten in Denmark here.  As you said, there were people yelling at him to stop and he just kept going.  Who does that?
    you don't want to go there unless you have to. it's got to be another option
    Does it?  Who knows...
    I just heard that one person who was on the bus says the driver did attempt to stop when he realized, too late, that the train was coming.
    The gate was down and the lights flashing.  How do you "realize too late"?  I've crossed that intersection dozens of times, and was stopped at it 2 or 3 times.  The gate comes down quite a bit ahead of the train, so it must have been down for a while *before* the bus crashed through it.

    Agree with that. I live in Barrhaven.. Before retirement, I travelled that transitway every weekday for many years. There is a left handed curve before the tracks... but there is an unobstructed view. I don't see how the driver could not see the train coming. He would be looking right at it as he went around the curve.. Something had to have happened.. ie failed brakes or something else. That gate does come quite a while before the train gets across... The train is going about 10 miles an hour. The buses are doing about 60 when they get to the tracks... or are supposed to. He tried to stop... not enough time. As bad as it is.. it could have been a lot worse.

    So tragic. My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families...


    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48296
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Terrible bus/train accident claims 6 lives

    Post by wprager on Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:02 pm

    I wondered if glare had a hand in this. I was driving my kid to school this morning (earlier, though) and the sun was absolutely brutal. If I understand the location of the crash (this is not the level crossing on Fallowfield, but on the transit way itself, a bit north/north-west of the Fallowfield crossing. The transitway points roughly NNW, so at 8:45AM the Sun would have been behind and to the right of the bus:

    http://suncalc.net/#/45.3028,-75.734,16/2013.09.18/08:45

    I could see the sun being in the eyes of the drivers going South (from downtown), but not the other way. Maybe there was indirect glare reflected from a bus heading the other way?

    NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

    Re: Terrible bus/train accident claims 6 lives

    Post by NEELY on Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:07 pm

    Again, this is just hearsay but like a lot of other drivers when they come around the bend before the tracks they pick up speed before they hit the transit way and he could have very well done this out of habit and picked up enough speed where he couldn't slow down. Anyways, it doesn't really matter, 6 people lost their lives.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48296
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Terrible bus/train accident claims 6 lives

    Post by wprager on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:02 pm

    The gate and lights are very close to the level crossing. The transitway has a fairly big left turn as it goes from running parallel to the tracks, to crossing over them and running parallel to Woodroffe. As he is coming down the part parallel to the tracks the light is directly in his eyes from the right. Maybe that distracted or partially blinded him as he made the turn, and he didn't notice the lights/gate/train. Maybe they should move the gate back to before the bend.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 13624
    Age : 44
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Terrible bus/train accident claims 6 lives

    Post by Cap'n Clutch on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:13 pm

    This tragedy may have resulted in the deaths of 6 people but it has claimed more than that in terms of the families that need to deal with the devastation and not just from those that died but those severely injured and those severely traumatized after this. My heart goes out to all friends and family affected.


    _________________
    "A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

    - Unknown Author

    NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 20732
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

    Re: Terrible bus/train accident claims 6 lives

    Post by NEELY on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:18 pm

    I can't even imagine some of the things that must have been seen by those people which is another tragic outcome of this... man.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48296
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Terrible bus/train accident claims 6 lives

    Post by wprager on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:08 am

    Just found out last night that one of the victims was the son of a girl I worked with at a summer camp back in (I think) 1980. Whoa, that hits home, hard. We're thinking of moving to Barrhaven, and my oldest may be going to Ottawa-U next September. He could be taking this bus next year.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox

    sandysensfan
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 3187
    Age : 65
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-04

    Re: Terrible bus/train accident claims 6 lives

    Post by sandysensfan on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:21 am

    wprager wrote:Just found out last night that one of the victims was the son of a girl I worked with at a summer camp back in (I think) 1980.  Whoa, that hits home, hard.  We're thinking of moving to Barrhaven, and my oldest may be going to Ottawa-U next September.  He could be taking this bus next year.
    My son went to school with Connor Boyd from elementary right through to high school. They kinda lost touch after that.. but he saw him at McDonald's just a short while ago... He is quite shook up about it. I remember Connor Boyd as a kid with a great personality... and quite the comedian... He was so young... so sad.. So sad for all of them...
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48296
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Terrible bus/train accident claims 6 lives

    Post by wprager on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:45 am

    sandysensfan wrote:
    wprager wrote:Just found out last night that one of the victims was the son of a girl I worked with at a summer camp back in (I think) 1980.  Whoa, that hits home, hard.  We're thinking of moving to Barrhaven, and my oldest may be going to Ottawa-U next September.  He could be taking this bus next year.
    My son went to school with Connor Boyd from elementary right through to high school.  They kinda lost touch after that.. but he saw him at McDonald's just a short while ago...  He is quite shook up about it.  I remember Connor Boyd as a kid with a great personality... and quite the comedian...  He was so young... so sad..  So sad for all of them...
    That's the guy. I knew his mom when she was 14 or 15. I think it was 1979.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox

    sandysensfan
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 3187
    Age : 65
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-04

    Re: Terrible bus/train accident claims 6 lives

    Post by sandysensfan on Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:28 pm

    wprager wrote:
    sandysensfan wrote:
    wprager wrote:Just found out last night that one of the victims was the son of a girl I worked with at a summer camp back in (I think) 1980.  Whoa, that hits home, hard.  We're thinking of moving to Barrhaven, and my oldest may be going to Ottawa-U next September.  He could be taking this bus next year.
    My son went to school with Connor Boyd from elementary right through to high school.  They kinda lost touch after that.. but he saw him at McDonald's just a short while ago...  He is quite shook up about it.  I remember Connor Boyd as a kid with a great personality... and quite the comedian...  He was so young... so sad..  So sad for all of them...
    That's the guy.  I knew his mom when she was 14 or 15.  I think it was 1979.
    Another Carleton student was alos killed.. Kyle Nash... he was friends with Connor Boyd. My son knew him also.. but not as well as Boyd. Barrhaven is a small community... so a lot of people will know some of those that died yesterday.

    It could be an emotional tribute before the Sens game tonight..
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48296
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Terrible bus/train accident claims 6 lives

    Post by wprager on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:41 pm

    Ottawa Police have released the names of the five victims who died in Wednesday's tragic collision between OC Transpo route 76 and the VIA Rail commuter train. All of the victims' families have been notified.

    The victims are as follows:

    Michael Bleakney, 57 years old
    Connor Boyd, 21 years old
    Karen Krzyzewski, 53 years old
    Kyle Nash, 21 years old
    Rob More, 35 years old
    Dave Woodard, 45 years old

    CFRA News wishes to express our condolences to the family, friends and loved ones of the victims and to those affected by yesterday's tragic events.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox

    Sponsored content

    Re: Terrible bus/train accident claims 6 lives

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:12 am