Will Cherepanov's death scare others away from Russia?

Riprock
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 11867
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: Will Cherepanov's death scare others away from Russia?

Post by Riprock on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:31 pm

I thought they said the ambulance got called away on another call. They shouldn't have responded though, dispatch another crew. They are hired to stay at the arena until the game is well over.

smash88
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1354
    Registration date : 2008-09-26

Post by smash88 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:45 pm

DashRiprock wrote:I thought they said the ambulance got called away on another call. They shouldn't have responded though, dispatch another crew. They are hired to stay at the arena until the game is well over.

Yeah still too many details missing... Obviously something was wrong... There was no medical staff at the arena at the time of the incident... But as you say, they should be hired to stay for the entire game...

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:25 pm

smash88 wrote:
    DashRiprock wrote:I thought they said the ambulance got called away on another call. They shouldn't have responded though, dispatch another crew. They are hired to stay at the arena until the game is well over.

Yeah still too many details missing... Obviously something was wrong... There was no medical staff at the arena at the time of the incident... But as you say, they should be hired to stay for the entire game...

It's very possible the ambulance left to take someone else. Perhaps a fan collapsed. Who knows? I just heard on the radio that the league is pointing the finger at the ambulance crew for not being there (or not getting there quick enough) and also for not having a defibrillator. Shouldn't they have one on the bench anyway?

Sorry, but I don't buy the rich owners wouldn't cut corners cause they are rich argument. It sure looks like they did, and now with this happening, they'll have to take the necessary precautions. If they didn't really care about the money, why weren't the proper steps/equipment in place? This whole thing is just so odd.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48197
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:32 pm

Of course it will. Maybe not a lot but how can it not be in players' minds? We've heard about the poor accommodations, we know about the small rinks and crowds, now this. And let's not forget what happened recently to Jussi Markkanen's 4-year-old son. The standard of living and standards of safety over there just aren't up to the North American standards.
    Acrobat
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1565
    Registration date : 2008-08-06

Post by Acrobat on Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:34 pm

My suspicion is that there is a degree of cover-up still in play, despite the digging that has been done. We may never know the full truth, but clearly the first responders weren't the right people (i.e. the EMTs weren't on hand, and those that were on hand weren't trained properly).

The owners have deep enough pockets that even if they are responsible, the final analysis will be made to look like someone else was. The saddest part still remains - a child died, who probably could have been saved. No parent should ever have to see their child die; on behalf of every parent, I really hope that at least some good comes of it.

I know that I will be ensuring that every sporting event my kids go to has some form of medical equipment & protocol in place.

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:38 pm

PKC wrote:The first thing I thought when I saw that video on youtube was "Why are they carrying him like that?", "Don't they have stretchers or doctors or trainers with first aid training?", and "Why don't they have any medical staff on hand at all it seems?"

The whole thing is bizarre. I don't see any of the major star players in the NHL leaving for Russia. None of the Iginlas, Luongos, Heatleys or Crosbys will ever play in the KHL. But still, these guys that do go and play there are still human beings, and seeing that response for an emergency is just sickening.

How about this for a question:

If that was how they helped Cherepanov when his heart stopped, how would they have helped Zednik last year if he was cut his throat on someone's skate? Would he have waited 15-20 minutes to get to the hospital? Would they have picked him up off the ice like they were hurling a dead body onto a gurney?

After 15-20 minutes would have been dead so the last point becomes moot. Sure does make you wonder though. I wonder if guys like Zednik, Fischer, and Malarchuk see this and thank their lucky stars they never signed for a few more rubles in good ol' mother Russia.
    Acrobat
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1565
    Registration date : 2008-08-06

Post by Acrobat on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:29 pm

Yahoo is now reporting that he may have had structural heart disease:
    One part of the article mentions ischemia (insufficient oxygen delivery), while another part mentioned hypertrophy.

Athletes will typically have some degree of cardiac hypertrophy; it sounds like they are implying that there may have been an element of HOCM, although I would have expected that this would have been picked up during the combine before draft (I assume that EKG is part of the process, right?)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:52 pm