You are not connected. Please login or register

 » Alphabet soup + Anouncements! » Random Thoughts - NON Hockey talk » Question about BluRay player and old TV

Question about BluRay player and old TV

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 5]

46Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 4 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV on Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:25 pm

Cap'n Clutch


Co-Founder
Co-Founder
How about this???


http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/startech-startech-dvi-to-hdmi-video-converter-with-audio-dvi2hdmia-dvi2hdmia/10213397.aspx?path=3052b534997a40f12dd510cc2530e892en02

47Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 4 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV on Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:35 pm

tim1_2


Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Cap'n Clutch wrote:How about this???


http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/startech-startech-dvi-to-hdmi-video-converter-with-audio-dvi2hdmia-dvi2hdmia/10213397.aspx?path=3052b534997a40f12dd510cc2530e892en02

That may or may not solve your issue (HDCP could still be an issue).

I am telling you that your best solution to this problem is to get a slightly older Blu-Ray player that has component.

Here: http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Sony-Blu-Ray-Disc-Player-with-remote-manual-HDMI-MINT-W0QQAdIdZ552090349

48Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 4 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV on Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:03 pm

wprager


Administrator
Administrator
Cap'n Clutch wrote:How about this???


http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/startech-startech-dvi-to-hdmi-video-converter-with-audio-dvi2hdmia-dvi2hdmia/10213397.aspx?path=3052b534997a40f12dd510cc2530e892en02

WTH is that? $77? And all it saves you is an audio connector to the TV (you still need audio cables to the adaptor, the only thing this thing does is combine DVI and audio onto HDMI out). That's a lot of money for the ability to hide a pair of audio cables (or a single TOS-link cable).

I haven't seen a player in a while that had component outputs. Tim's right, you'd need to look at an older player. Of course finding one of those that also has smart tv functions will be difficult.

You can also get a DVI to Component adaptor or adaptor/cable:

http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Index?keyword=dvi+to+component

You won't find these at a FS or BB, I don't think, but maybe a local PC store (if you don't want to wait for the shipping).

BTW, double checked the inputs on your set and it won't take optical audio -- will have to go with simple RCA stereo.

49Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 4 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV on Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:05 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
The unit I linked to on Kijiji will allow you to connect to the internet/Netflix.

50Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 4 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV on Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:11 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
tim1_2 wrote:The unit I linked to on Kijiji will allow you to connect to the internet/Netflix.


I'd be a little leery. He says he paid $300 for it -- either he's lying or he bought it 5 years ago. My gut says he's lying, so the question is why? If Netflix is all he needs, then fine. Won't be wireless, for sure, but that may not be a problem.

I was looking into the wireless extenders, and many of them will have a wired port you can hook into.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

51Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 4 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV on Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:26 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:How about this???


http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/startech-startech-dvi-to-hdmi-video-converter-with-audio-dvi2hdmia-dvi2hdmia/10213397.aspx?path=3052b534997a40f12dd510cc2530e892en02

WTH is that?  $77?  And all it saves you is an audio connector to the TV (you still need audio cables to the adaptor, the only thing this thing does is combine DVI and audio onto HDMI out).  That's a lot of money for the ability to hide a pair of audio cables


If I want to connect RCA cables from my TV to a Blu-Ray I can't do it directly so why isn't this a good option? It allows the Blu-Ray to be connected to the TV and I get the audio or am I missing something here?


_________________
"A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

- Unknown Author

52Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 4 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV on Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:31 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Looks like most modern blu-ray players don't have component out. I guess the movie industry got to them. Bastids.

53Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 4 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV on Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:29 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:How about this???


http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/startech-startech-dvi-to-hdmi-video-converter-with-audio-dvi2hdmia-dvi2hdmia/10213397.aspx?path=3052b534997a40f12dd510cc2530e892en02

WTH is that?  $77?  And all it saves you is an audio connector to the TV (you still need audio cables to the adaptor, the only thing this thing does is combine DVI and audio onto HDMI out).  That's a lot of money for the ability to hide a pair of audio cables


If I want to connect RCA cables from my TV to a Blu-Ray I can't do it directly so why isn't this a good option?  It allows the Blu-Ray to be connected to the TV and I get the audio or am I missing something here?

Because of the ridiculous cost.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

54Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 4 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:38 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:How about this???


http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/startech-startech-dvi-to-hdmi-video-converter-with-audio-dvi2hdmia-dvi2hdmia/10213397.aspx?path=3052b534997a40f12dd510cc2530e892en02

WTH is that?  $77?  And all it saves you is an audio connector to the TV (you still need audio cables to the adaptor, the only thing this thing does is combine DVI and audio onto HDMI out).  That's a lot of money for the ability to hide a pair of audio cables


If I want to connect RCA cables from my TV to a Blu-Ray I can't do it directly so why isn't this a good option?  It allows the Blu-Ray to be connected to the TV and I get the audio or am I missing something here?



Because of the ridiculous cost.  

How else do I connect RCA cables from my TV to a Blu-Ray? What is the cost of a DVI adapter and whatever else I'd need in order to get audio?


_________________
"A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

- Unknown Author

55Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 4 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV on Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:28 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Fired up the old HD DVD player today... for the HD Fireplace HD DVD! HA HA! It still works. Beauty.

Also, we have to watch the obligatory "Christmas Vacation" move, which I have in HD DVD.

Griswold's FTW!

56Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 4 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV on Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:50 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:How about this???


http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/startech-startech-dvi-to-hdmi-video-converter-with-audio-dvi2hdmia-dvi2hdmia/10213397.aspx?path=3052b534997a40f12dd510cc2530e892en02

WTH is that?  $77?  And all it saves you is an audio connector to the TV (you still need audio cables to the adaptor, the only thing this thing does is combine DVI and audio onto HDMI out).  That's a lot of money for the ability to hide a pair of audio cables


If I want to connect RCA cables from my TV to a Blu-Ray I can't do it directly so why isn't this a good option?  It allows the Blu-Ray to be connected to the TV and I get the audio or am I missing something here?



Because of the ridiculous cost.  

How else do I connect RCA cables from my TV to a Blu-Ray?  What is the cost of a DVI adapter and whatever else I'd need in order to get audio?

I guess I'm getting all confused as to what you have and what you don't. Strike that idea about the DVI to component adaptor -- that's for projectors which use a DVI connector for their component input. I keep forgetting that DVI/HDMI is digital so you cannot simply adapt the signal to analog components. You would need a powered converter unit and those are not that cheap.

I think your best bet is looking for an older player like the one Tim posted which has component out, or something that doesn't support HDCP.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

57Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 4 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV on Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:51 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Another possibility is to use a home theater receiver that will do the HDCP hand-shaking for you; you would likely be able to find one with component outputs.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

58Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 4 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:04 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
In case anyone is still interested in powerline ethernet, Dell.ca has a starter kit (one remote point) on sale:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Wireless_WiFi/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A6937331


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

59Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 4 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:01 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
Starting to think I'm better off just buying a new TV.


_________________
"A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

- Unknown Author

60Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 4 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:31 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Starting to think I'm better off just buying a new TV.
Atta girl.

61Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 4 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV on Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:35 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Starting to think I'm better off just buying a new TV.

Obviously. And they are quite inexpensive these days.

62Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 4 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:59 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
tim1_2 wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Starting to think I'm better off just buying a new TV.

Obviously.  And they are quite inexpensive these days.

And think of all the room you'd save. Why, with the TV right up against the wall instead of sticking out 3 feet, you have a bigger room. Which, naturally, means a bigger TV. Check the New Plasma TV thread for links to some 70" and 80" sets on sale.


_________________
Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
- Dicky Fox

63Question about BluRay player and old TV - Page 4 Empty Re: Question about BluRay player and old TV on Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:26 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
I have 4 words for you:

RCA Streaming Media Box

http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-DSB872WR-WiFi-Streaming-Box/21998220#Item+Description


_________________
"A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

- Unknown Author

Sponsored content


Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum