Ice Storm 2013

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Ice Storm 2013

Post by shabbs on Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:47 pm

Well this has been a fun weekend. Major ice storm moves in causing massive damage across the city. We lost power this morning and got it back just recently. I spent several hours today chipping the ice on our walk way, drive way and side walk. It was over an inch thick in some places. It's pretty crazy. Lots of downed trees in the neighbourhood. We've lost our huge olive tree in the back yard. Very sad to see. They are calling for winds tonight... this could get worse before it gets better. Ugh.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13544
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Re: Ice Storm 2013

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:58 pm

Sounds like the one we had in this neck of the woods back in 1998.

- Unknown Author
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:19 pm

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Sounds like the one we had in this neck of the woods back in 1998.
    I was living in Ottawa for that one. This is very comparable for sure. I was in Sandy Hill at the time. We never lost power then and had an Ice Storm party at our place. Heh heh. One of the massive trees fell on our house and did a bit of damage but nothing too serious.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47406
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:46 pm

We got off easy (in Ottawa, or at least in the west end). This morning I'm reading tweets about 15 cm of snow and now the freezing rain, look at my driveway and see nothing but snow. Had to shovel about 20 minutes just to get out and leave my wife room to get out, too, then went to my daughter's practice -- their first full-ice and only 6 or 7 girls showed up. Anyhow, the freezing rain started about 8 and basically continued all day. Because of all the snow on the ground we never had ice except on the car -- had to scrape it 3 or 4 times.

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:05 pm

Some pics I took this weekend... was quite pretty out there... but dangerous...

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16087
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:03 am

Nice pics. That's a lot of ice. Heard on the radio this morning it might still be a couple more days for power to be fully restored to some folks...and their are currently 250,000 without power. That blows, especially for Christmas.
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Post by shabbs on Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:08 am

Yeah, we got power back but some in Toronto won't get it back until Friday it looks like. Wow.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13544
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:25 am

shabbs wrote:
    Cap'n Clutch wrote:Sounds like the one we had in this neck of the woods back in 1998.
    I was living in Ottawa for that one. This is very comparable for sure. I was in Sandy Hill at the time. We never lost power then and had an Ice Storm party at our place. Heh heh. One of the massive trees fell on our house and did a bit of damage but nothing too serious.

I was living on Summerville in '98 and a massive tree split down the middle with half of it resting on our power lines. Thankfully we only suffered brown outs as they repaired lines in the area but, I do remember a fire crew yelling at me because it was somehow my responsibility to get this tree off the power line.

1 - Not my tree it was a neighbour's tree.
    2 - I was renting the town home.

Also, as for the ice storm of '98 they called in the army and some people were without power for several days. I think it hit the Cornwall area the hardest and had a profound effect on the forests in the area. I remember reading about a University student starting their Masters Degree with the devistation being their main subject of their thesis.

- Unknown Author
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47406
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:50 am

That first pic with the leaf stuck in the ice is perfect. Submit it, somewhere.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 26, 2017 5:18 am