General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20698
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by Ev on Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:53 pm

It's a debate for their management.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47523
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by wprager on Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:05 am

Phaneuf $7 x 7 is a done deal.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:08 am

tim1_2 wrote:It's absolutely not a debate.  Ryan will be on Team USA.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/bobby-ryan-left-off-u-olympic-roster-sochi-141951120--nhl.html

Kevin Allen of USA Today, who has his finger on the pulse of the USA Hockey braintrust, left Ryan off his final roster projection for Sochi, with this explanation:

The most difficult decision was leaving off Bobby Ryan (Ottawa Senators). He might be en route to his fifth 30-goal season. His hands are exceptional. But the Americans are deep on the wing, and other players have more to offer. Ryan is not a skater, nor a defensive zealot. Wheeler was my pick over Ryan because of his speed, size and reach. All are important on the wider surface.
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:25 pm

Speed, size and reach? Is it a hockey game or a speed skating?
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:07 pm

LeKing wrote:Speed, size and reach? Is it a hockey game or a speed skating?

Faster so he can get to the puck or away from coverage faster. Bigger so he can hit harder and be more difficult to move. Longer reach to make it more difficult to get around him.

Look, I don't agree with leaving him off -- I don't see skating as an issue (not everyone can be -- or needs to be -- the fastest) and I completely disagree about him not being good defensively. But I don't have trouble understanding the argument.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:17 pm

Listening to AM690 for some entertainment, again. Markov. Apparently if he tested the market he'd get a *minimum* 4 years at a *minimum* $6M. Am I missing something? Over the last two seasons (he played all games) he has 50 points in 88 games. The two season prior to that he totaled 6 points in 20 games. He is 35 years old with extensive injury history -- how could anyone in their right mind give him a *minimum* 4 year deal?

Campbell is his comparable stats-wise. A year younger and 2 more years remaining (after this season) on an *unmovable* $7.14M contract. So if $7.14M is unmovable with 2 years remaining, how is it possible to give an older player with injury history 4 years at $6M (minimum)?

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12773
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:41 pm

wprager wrote:Listening to AM690 for some entertainment, again.  Markov.  Apparently if he tested the market he'd get a *minimum* 4 years at a *minimum* $6M.  Am I missing something?  Over the last two seasons (he played all games) he has 50 points in 88 games.  The two season prior to that he totaled 6 points in 20 games.  He is 35 years old with extensive injury history -- how could anyone in their right mind give him a *minimum* 4 year deal?  

Campbell is his comparable stats-wise.  A year younger and 2 more years remaining (after this season) on an *unmovable* $7.14M contract.  So if $7.14M is unmovable with 2 years remaining, how is it possible to give an older player with injury history 4 years at $6M (minimum)?

people will overpay for FA's. if gonchar got 5 for three and then 5 for 2 what do you expect people to give markov. I agree that it's a lot but there are GM's out there just waiting to throw money out the door. he's still a very good D-man mind you. just a bit unsure where he'll be 4 years from now.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:49 pm

Markov will easily get 6.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10037
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:59 pm

wprager wrote:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/bobby-ryan-left-off-u-olympic-roster-sochi-141951120--nhl.html

Kevin Allen of USA Today, who has his finger on the pulse of the USA Hockey braintrust, left Ryan off his final roster projection for Sochi, with this explanation:

The most difficult decision was leaving off Bobby Ryan (Ottawa Senators). He might be en route to his fifth 30-goal season. His hands are exceptional. But the Americans are deep on the wing, and other players have more to offer. Ryan is not a skater, nor a defensive zealot. Wheeler was my pick over Ryan because of his speed, size and reach. All are important on the wider surface.

Kevin Allen does podcasts with Eklund. His argument is invalid.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:41 pm

spader wrote:
    wprager wrote:

Kevin Allen does podcasts with Eklund. His argument is invalid.
    Really? Did not know that. All I saw was "USA Today". Sounds legit.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:42 pm

NEELY wrote:Markov will easily get 6.

Not arguing that, but on a 4 year term? Never.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:20 pm

Gilbert Brule (former 6th overall pick) is refusing a demotion to the AHL; says he's had it living out of a suitcase, so he's retiring from hockey at age 27 to become a firefighter.

And in case you were wondering whose draft pick he was, Columbus, of course.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/brule-tells-coyotes-hes-retiring-from-hockey/

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:23 pm

Lupul should get a call from Shanahan for this:

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/1/1/5263918/winter-classic-2014-joffrey-lupul-crosscheck-patrick-eaves

sandysensfan
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 3187
    Registration date : 2011-01-04

Post by sandysensfan on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:11 pm

wprager wrote:Lupul should get a call from Shanahan for this:

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/1/1/5263918/winter-classic-2014-joffrey-lupul-crosscheck-patrick-eaves

Deliberate attempt to injure. He should be out of the game.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:53 pm

All he got was a minor. Then he scored in the SO to keep the Leafs alive before Bozak scored the winner.

Last edited by wprager on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:53 pm

Leafs win in a SO... how typical. And it's Bozak with the winner. Hilarious.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54137
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:09 pm

What a joke that Ryan didn't make Team USA>
    shabbs
    Hall of Famer
    Hall of Famer

Number of posts : 31416
    Location : I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by shabbs on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:12 pm

That is a joke.

#FreeBobbyRyan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:19 pm