I've finally done it -- bye-bye Rogers ...

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47526
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: I've finally done it -- bye-bye Rogers ...

Post by wprager on Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:24 pm

tim1_2 wrote:All that to save a few pennies.

This is my favourite thread on the internet.

Seriously, if you don't have a helpful comment you're welcome to save yourself some typing. For the record, it's a savings of about $40/month and extreme aggravation whenever I use the PVR. Sure, in the end Rogers was willing to save me that same $40 *and* give me the new PVR, but by this time the mind's made up. There are also some other perks, like a better guide/pvr features, whole-home-pvr (would have been a service call for Rogers), ability to move the TV around more easily, $9 less on my wife's wireless plan (the plan is $5 less than Rogers and then you get the $4 bundling discount). A single bill and they will charge my MC on which I get 2% cash back.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16173
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:29 pm

wprager wrote:

Seriously, if you don't have a helpful comment you're welcome to save yourself some typing. For the record, it's a savings of about $40/month and extreme aggravation whenever I use the PVR. Sure, in the end Rogers was willing to save me that same $40 *and* give me the new PVR, but by this time the mind's made up. There are also some other perks, like a better guide/pvr features, whole-home-pvr (would have been a service call for Rogers), ability to move the TV around more easily, $9 less on my wife's wireless plan (the plan is $5 less than Rogers and then you get the $4 bundling discount). A single bill and they will charge my MC on which I get 2% cash back.

I laughed out loud when I saw Hayden post a legitimately helpful comment...I thought to myself "That's not what the internet is for!"

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24742
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:28 pm

wprager wrote:

Seriously, if you don't have a helpful comment you're welcome to save yourself some typing.  For the record, it's a savings of about $40/month and extreme aggravation whenever I use the PVR.  Sure, in the end Rogers was willing to save me that same $40 *and* give me the new PVR, but by this time the mind's made up.  There are also some other perks, like a better guide/pvr features, whole-home-pvr (would have been a service call for Rogers), ability to move the TV around more easily, $9 less on my wife's wireless plan (the plan is $5 less than Rogers and then you get the $4 bundling discount).  A single bill and they will charge my MC on which I get 2% cash back.  

Until they jack up the price without warning. Enjoy.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by wprager on Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:56 pm

Yeah, but they all jack up the prices. This way I've reset my starting price. And in three years I will be ready to switch back.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:19 pm

wprager wrote:
    Hayden wrote:Fast forward button moves you ahead days at a time.  Channel up and down while in the guide works as page up/page down.

Excellent, thanks.

More on this. The idea of using the FF/RW buttons for going to the next/previous day is fantastic. On the Rogers PVR your press the blue key and a little calendar pops up, you then use the left/right buttons to advance, then OK to select. Three clicks to advance one day.

I also like the record button -- click once to record the show; click a second time to change this to a series recording; click a third time to cancel the recording (that last one, not sure of usefulness). My only beef is that the series recording, by default, is new+reruns. Mind you, it's possible the Rogers box was the same but I changed the default. I know there were some recording defaults you could change -- haven't found this on the Bell box yet.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:51 am

wprager wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Hayden wrote:Fast forward button moves you ahead days at a time.  Channel up and down while in the guide works as page up/page down.

Excellent, thanks.

More on this.  The idea of using the FF/RW buttons for going to the next/previous day is fantastic.  On the Rogers PVR your press the blue key and a little calendar pops up, you then use the left/right buttons to advance, then OK to select.  Three clicks to advance one day.  

I also like the record button -- click once to record the show; click a second time to change this to a series recording; click a third time to cancel the recording (that last one, not sure of usefulness).  My only beef is that the series recording, by default, is new+reruns.  Mind you, it's possible the Rogers box was the same but I changed the default.  I know there were some recording defaults you could change -- haven't found this on the Bell box yet.

By the time you find it, they will have jacked up the price.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:52 am

You're hilarious. No, really, I'm laughing. On the inside.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:56 am

wprager wrote:You're hilarious.  No, really, I'm laughing.  On the inside.

Just like Bell and Rogers laugh at their customers? What?!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:52 pm