Miikka Kiprusoff - what kind of situation is this?

Poll

Whatcha gonna do? (Read the synopsis first please)

[ 3 ]
    38% [38%] 
    [ 1 ]
    13% [13%] 
    [ 4 ]
    49% [49%] 

Total Votes: 8
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54589
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Miikka Kiprusoff - what kind of situation is this?

Post by PTFlea on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:46 am

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=292&hubname=nhl-flames

Look at those numbers last year. Gerber-esque...no, let me re-state, flatlined, middle of the road numbers that would rank around 19th or 20th out of 30 starting goalies.

But of course he's going to rebound, right? ....Right?

No, there's absolutely and positively no reason to believe he will. He doesn't handle pressure well and he's beaten by low percentage shots all the time. I was annoyed at him last night - and I was kinda going for Colorado (I like their offense).

So here comes the 6 million (X 6) dollar question.

Given the opportunity to trade Kiprusoff - would you do it now? Or would you be content with his 6 million dollar contract for the next 6 years? It's a hell of a gamble.
    smash88
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1354
    Registration date : 2008-09-26

Re: Miikka Kiprusoff - what kind of situation is this?

Post by smash88 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:47 am

So the question is, if he was offered to Ottawa would we take him?? and at what price?? I'd be willing to take a chance...
    Cronie
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 3032

Post by Cronie on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:50 am

WOW! Smash, to be honest, if I had ANY insider info that indicated a change of scenery and/or venue is all that was needed, and that perhaps Iron Mike's antics are wearing thin and just a nuissance, I'd say DO IT!
    Otherwise, I'd rather wait and see: 1) how Gerber, Auld and Elliott fare; and/or 2)see if Murray can swap Gerber and snag someone who may be a little more predictable.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:50 am

I wouldn't take him personally. Not with a 6 X 6 just kicking in now. I'm not sold on him at all.

If my scouts called me mentally challenged and said that he's still amazing, then I would offer the minimum that I could get away with to relieve the Flames of this contract.
    smash88
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by smash88 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:55 am

Yeah, I think he'll rebound... He's too good of a goalie not too... maybe your right though 6 x 6 is pretty long for a guy your not too sure about...
    mattshock
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 1772
    Registration date : 2008-10-15

Post by mattshock on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:11 pm

smash88 wrote:Yeah, I think he'll rebound... He's too good of a goalie not too... maybe your right though 6 x 6 is pretty long for a guy your not too sure about...

He started out last year in lousy form as well.

To be honest, I'd rather take a risk on Khabibulin for one year than on Kipper for 6 more.
    smash88
    Veteran
    Veteran

Post by smash88 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:12 pm

mattbond wrote:
    smash88 wrote:Yeah, I think he'll rebound... He's too good of a goalie not too... maybe your right though 6 x 6 is pretty long for a guy your not too sure about...

He started out last year in lousy form as well.

To be honest, I'd rather take a risk on Khabibulin for one year than on Kipper for 6 more.

Yup, for sure....

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:15 pm

504Heater wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=292&hubname=nhl-flames

Look at those numbers last year. Gerber-esque...no, let me re-state, flatlined, middle of the road numbers that would rank around 19th or 20th out of 30 starting goalies.

No, there's absolutely and positively no reason to believe he will. He doesn't handle pressure well and he's beaten by low percentage shots all the time. I was annoyed at him last night - and I was kinda going for Colorado (I like their offense).

Given the opportunity to trade Kiprusoff - would you do it now? Or would you be content with his 6 million dollar contract for the next 6 years? It's a hell of a gamble.

Sean McCormick has a blog on Sportsnet saying that Kipper is to be paid 8.5 mil for this year.
    SensGirl11
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 5050
    Registration date : 2008-08-13

Post by SensGirl11 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 pm

504Heater wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=292&hubname=nhl-flames

I would Diddle trade him right now. I still think you can get a good return for him, AND I believe that he just needs a change of scenery (see Wade Redden) to get back on track. Calgarians have lost all faith in this guy, and it shows, and he knows it and he's playing like he knows it. His team has lost faith in him. He's been there long enough, he's had some rough times in the playoffs and it just seems to be getting worse.

I actually think that he'd be really good on any other team right now, there's way too much history with him in Calgary, he needs to get out, A.S.A.P!

This is just what I think, I could be totally wrong...
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:31 pm

vancanuck1 wrote:

Sean McCormick has a blog on Sportsnet saying that Kipper is to be paid 8.5 mil for this year.

That never matters to me, only the cap hit (5.8 million) matters to me personally.
    dennycrane
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2121
    Registration date : 2008-08-17

Post by dennycrane on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:32 pm

If I were Tampa, I might take a look at trying to get Kipper. They seem like the sort of team that may get a player based on reputation as opposed to recent results. Probably becomes a 3-way deal, with the Flames getting Khabibulin.

Wait a second, in the GM game, I AM Tampa. Hmmmm.....
    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 5817
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

Post by PKC on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:45 pm

Why would the Flames downgrade from Kiprusoff to Khabibulin before they tried firing Keenan and replacing him with someone else?

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:48 pm

PKC wrote:Why would the Flames downgrade from Kiprusoff to Khabibulin before they tried firing Keenan and replacing him with someone else?
    keenan has been the problem all along
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:48 pm

dennycrane wrote:If I were Tampa, I might take a look at trying to get Kipper. They seem like the sort of team that may get a player based on reputation as opposed to recent results. Probably becomes a 3-way deal, with the Flames getting Khabibulin.

Wait a second, in the GM game, I AM Tampa. Hmmmm.....

:D
    dennycrane
    Veteran
    Veteran

Number of posts : 2121
    Registration date : 2008-08-17

Post by dennycrane on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:57 pm

PKC wrote:Why would the Flames downgrade from Kiprusoff to Khabibulin before they tried firing Keenan and replacing him with someone else?

Presumably their GM is smart enough to upgrade other positions if they were going to trade Kipper. Khabibulin is the most available quasi-elite goalie, who does have the benefit of being on the final year of his contract. Khabibulin was also the only name that popped into my head as an example.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:58 pm