spader wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    spader wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    spader wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    spader wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    Yes lazar was easily the teams best prospect going into last year.

This year it is now Chabot or white.

Disagree. I voted for Stone and continue to think that, at this time last season, he was the best prospect in the system. Draft position doesn't necessarily correlate to best prospect. I'm a believer that highest attainable upside is the best determining factor when choosing the best prospect.

I didn't view Stone as a prospect going into last season and I was going by upside and not draft selection when saying Lazar was clear-cut the number one prospect. The organization viewed Lazar higher than Stone, though.

I guess you're really sticking to the idea that a prospect is a player who has played fewer than 20 NHL games. I prefer aligning my definition of "prospect" with the rules set out in Calder eligibility. After 25 games in a season, you're eligible for a Calder trophy and ineligible (in my mind) of being considered a prospect. I think the 20 game thing is a bit silly. A player who plays 9 games, then gets returned to junior, then plays 11 games the next season as a callup, getting returned to the AHL after each stint, is still a prospect to me.

Stone played 19 games in his longest NHL season, 24 games total (including 1 playoff game). I still considered him a prospect at this time last year. Lazar is no longer a prospect in my mind.

well it's irrelevant now because Stone and Lazar have both made it, as you said. But still, there was no way I was going to not rank Lazar as the org's number one prospect.

Right now the bigger issue is anyone ranking an average prospect like Lindberg over the super talented players we just selected in the first round.

Before you get all judgemental, consider the fact that many Sens fans have been tracking players like Lindberg for a while and have only just begun digging into the players that are newer to us.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. You don't need to track the players that are new to us. You don't have to do any research. Your first round picks immediately jump to the top of your prospect rankings with your other true top prospects.

Jim O'Brien.

Jim O'brien was not the same kind of player talent or pedigree wise as Colin White or Thomas Chabot, plus that was a very late pick in a Dung draft with Muckler's scouts.

But yes, he would have jumped to the top of the Sens prospects rankings at the time, so even if you think it's funny, it's still accurate

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47960
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: Ottawa prospect Number 1

Post by wprager on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:39 pm

spader wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Ev wrote:disagree with that. I don't see any way the organization would value Lindberg or Prince over White and Chabot. Lindberg shouldn't be in the conversation. Chabot would definitely be above Wikstrand I would say, but it might be close because I know they love Wikstrand. O'Connor, probably below them but he's a goalie and that's different altogether.

What places Chabot above Wikstrand?  His draft position?  Once the draft is over they're both just prospects.  Personally, I think Chabot will be a project, like Wiercioch (he took way longer than we initially thought).  Lindberg came over to NA and dominated the OHL in his first year -- he sholdn't be in the conversation??

NEELY, you better not read any more, you can't afford to get any dumber.

If I may interject (and I may, as that's how these boards work), I don't think Ev is correlating draft position directly to prospect ranking. I think he's suggesting that the draft position indicates a level of ability that can't be dismissed entirely. He also seems to be saying that the organization's ranking of these players is another factor to consider. Finally, since we all get way too high on most of the prospects the longer they stay in the Sens system, I think he's suggesting that we need to reassess when new players enter the fold.

He definitely correlated an unsubstantiated assertion that nobody would trade a 21st overall for Lindberg to him being rated lower. A GM may prefer a #21 overall but the reality -- even with these so-called deep drafts -- is that outside of the top-5 it's a crapshoot. Maybe top 10, maybe not (Brian Lee).

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20866
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:40 pm

wprager wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    The organization viewed Lazar higher than Stone, though.

You have absolutely *nothing* to support that claim.  Zilch.  Stone was a huge surprise the year he led the WJC team in scoring.  By the time they picked Lazar, Stone was no-longer viewed as a 6th round pick with little chance to make it.  He certainly surpassed their expectations in his first full season, but even so, to say that they viewed a 19 year old with zero pro experience higher is ludicrous.

Wrong again. THN Future Watch specifically asks clubs to rank their prospects every year. Lazar was ahead of Stone.

for the 100th time you're not realizing that age and pro experience means nothing when talking about who your top prospect is. That would be like saying Draisaitl is a better prospect than McDavid.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by Ev on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:40 pm

wprager wrote:
    spader wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Ev wrote:disagree with that. I don't see any way the organization would value Lindberg or Prince over White and Chabot. Lindberg shouldn't be in the conversation. Chabot would definitely be above Wikstrand I would say, but it might be close because I know they love Wikstrand. O'Connor, probably below them but he's a goalie and that's different altogether.

What places Chabot above Wikstrand?  His draft position?  Once the draft is over they're both just prospects.  Personally, I think Chabot will be a project, like Wiercioch (he took way longer than we initially thought).  Lindberg came over to NA and dominated the OHL in his first year -- he sholdn't be in the conversation??

NEELY, you better not read any more, you can't afford to get any dumber.

If I may interject (and I may, as that's how these boards work), I don't think Ev is correlating draft position directly to prospect ranking. I think he's suggesting that the draft position indicates a level of ability that can't be dismissed entirely. He also seems to be saying that the organization's ranking of these players is another factor to consider. Finally, since we all get way too high on most of the prospects the longer they stay in the Sens system, I think he's suggesting that we need to reassess when new players enter the fold.

He definitely correlated an unsubstantiated assertion that nobody would trade a 21st overall for Lindberg to him being rated lower.  A GM may prefer a #21 overall but the reality -- even with these so-called deep drafts -- is that outside of the top-5 it's a crapshoot.  Maybe top 10, maybe not (Brian Lee).

I guarantee, that 100% of GMs would not trade their first round pick (any position) for Tobias Freaking Lindberg.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:42 pm

Ev wrote:
    Your first round picks immediately jump to the top of your prospect rankings

I dunno, but sounds like he *is* making a correlation between draft order and ranking.

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:43 pm

wprager wrote:
    Ev wrote:

I dunno, but sounds like he *is* making a correlation between draft order and ranking.

when a guy was JUST selected in the first round, he will jump up to the top of your rankings. It's not that hard to comprehend. These players were picked 18th and 21st for a reason.

In three-five years, that might be totally different.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:43 pm

Ev wrote:
    spader wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    spader wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    spader wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    spader wrote:
    Ev wrote:

Disagree. I voted for Stone and continue to think that, at this time last season, he was the best prospect in the system. Draft position doesn't necessarily correlate to best prospect. I'm a believer that highest attainable upside is the best determining factor when choosing the best prospect.

I didn't view Stone as a prospect going into last season and I was going by upside and not draft selection when saying Lazar was clear-cut the number one prospect. The organization viewed Lazar higher than Stone, though.

I guess you're really sticking to the idea that a prospect is a player who has played fewer than 20 NHL games. I prefer aligning my definition of "prospect" with the rules set out in Calder eligibility. After 25 games in a season, you're eligible for a Calder trophy and ineligible (in my mind) of being considered a prospect. I think the 20 game thing is a bit silly. A player who plays 9 games, then gets returned to junior, then plays 11 games the next season as a callup, getting returned to the AHL after each stint, is still a prospect to me.

Stone played 19 games in his longest NHL season, 24 games total (including 1 playoff game). I still considered him a prospect at this time last year. Lazar is no longer a prospect in my mind.

well it's irrelevant now because Stone and Lazar have both made it, as you said. But still, there was no way I was going to not rank Lazar as the org's number one prospect.

Right now the bigger issue is anyone ranking an average prospect like Lindberg over the super talented players we just selected in the first round.

Before you get all judgemental, consider the fact that many Sens fans have been tracking players like Lindberg for a while and have only just begun digging into the players that are newer to us.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. You don't need to track the players that are new to us. You don't have to do any research. Your first round picks immediately jump to the top of your prospect rankings with your other true top prospects.

Jim O'Brien.

Jim O'brien was not the same kind of player talent or pedigree wise as Colin White or Thomas Chabot, plus that was a very late pick in a Dung draft with Muckler's scouts.

But yes, he would have jumped to the top of the Sens prospects rankings at the time, so even if you think it's funny, it's still accurate

I disagree. The org doesn't necessarily rank the last top pick as the top prospect. That's ludicrous and short-sighted. Does that mean that Cowen was ranked higher than Karlsson after the '09 draft?
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:44 pm

Ev wrote:
    I guarantee, that 100% of GMs would not trade their first round pick (any position) for Tobias Freaking Lindberg.

I don't even disagree with you -- having a pick is more than just getting a player, it is the chance to make yourself look great. There is definitely a little ego involved.

Regardless, you certainly cannot guarantee anything.

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:45 pm

Ev wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Ev wrote:

when a guy was JUST selected in the first round, he will jump up to the top of your rankings. It's not that hard to comprehend. These players were picked 18th and 21st for a reason.

McDavid breaks his leg in the off-season and can't compete this coming year. Next year the Oil drafts 7th and picks whoever. That player rises above McDavid in the org and league-wide rankings?

Your position isn't hard to comprehend, it's just silly.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:46 pm

spader wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    spader wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    spader wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    spader wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    spader wrote:
    Ev wrote:

Jim O'Brien.

I disagree. The org doesn't necessarily rank the last top pick as the top prospect. That's ludicrous and short-sighted. Does that mean that Cowen was ranked higher than Karlsson after the '09 draft?

No. I said your first round picks jump to the top along with your other true top prospects, not necessarily number one. In this case, I think White and Chabot go under Puempel, our true top prospect. At the time Cowen was picked Karlsson showed his worth and talent at the WJC so he would have been #1 for sure. But Cowen was an elite prospect so he would have jumped up to #2 at the very least.

Jim O'Brien would have definitely been #1 after his draft (if Brian Lee wasn't an NHLer by then, can't remember). There was nobody else.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:47 pm

Ev wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    The organization viewed Lazar higher than Stone, though.

You have absolutely *nothing* to support that claim.  Zilch.  Stone was a huge surprise the year he led the WJC team in scoring.  By the time they picked Lazar, Stone was no-longer viewed as a 6th round pick with little chance to make it.  He certainly surpassed their expectations in his first full season, but even so, to say that they viewed a 19 year old with zero pro experience higher is ludicrous.

Wrong again. THN Future Watch specifically asks clubs to rank their prospects every year. Lazar was ahead of Stone.

for the 100th time you're not realizing that age and pro experience means nothing when talking about who your top prospect is. That would be like saying Draisaitl is a better prospect than McDavid.

OMG, you didn't just use THN to support your claim, did you? What they write isn't worth wasting ink to read later. And if you assert that it was the Senators themselves that said they ranked Lazar ahead of Stone, I 100% do not believe that and need to see proof.

McDavid was a 1st overall generational talent. He's 1st overall in a list of the last 10 drafts' worth of 1st overalls. Don't bring up McDavid when talking about mid-to-late first rounders.

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:47 pm

Ev wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Ev wrote:

Philly picked JVR second overall, but he returned to uni the next year. You think they ranked Sbisa over him a year later? Laugh1
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:48 pm

spader wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Ev wrote:

McDavid breaks his leg in the off-season and can't compete this coming year. Next year the Oil drafts 7th and picks whoever. That player rises above McDavid in the org and league-wide rankings?

No. Again you're not understanding what I'm writing. The players with the most upside and most project ability are the top prospects. McDavid would still be #1, clearly, but the other player they just picked 7th overall would most certainly become #2.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:49 pm

Ev wrote:
    spader wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    spader wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    spader wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    spader wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    spader wrote:
    Ev wrote:

Jim O'Brien.

No. I said your first round picks jump to the top along with your other true top prospects, not necessarily number one. In this case, I think White and Chabot go under Puempel, our true top prospect. At the time Cowen was picked Karlsson showed his worth and talent at the WJC so he would have been #1 for sure. But Cowen was an elite prospect so he would have jumped up to #2 at the very least.

Jim O'Brien would have definitely been #1 after his draft (if Brian Lee wasn't an NHLer by then, can't remember). There was nobody else.

Most people would read "he jumps to the top of your prospect list" as #1, whether you qualify it or not.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:49 pm

Ev wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Ev wrote:

A 21st in this draft could be better than the BPA in another draft. Chris Phillips was a 1st overall. I looked over that draft many times thinking that, maybe, just maybe, 30 GMs were wrong and at least 5 players deserved to be in the top-five more than Phillips. I just couldn't find 5 players who deserved to be called top-five,

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:51 pm

Ev wrote:
    spader wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Ev wrote:

No. Again you're not understanding what I'm writing. The players with the most upside and most project ability are the top prospects. McDavid would still be #1, clearly, but the other player they just picked 7th overall would most certainly become #2.

Not certainly. What if they picked someone (like Alfie) late, and then that player's ability level rose exponentially? You have a very black&white approach to this and, as is often the case with black&white thinking, it's full of problems.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:51 pm

spader wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Ev wrote:

Philly picked JVR second overall, but he returned to uni the next year. You think they ranked Sbisa over him a year later? Laugh1

AGAIN, NO. You're putting words in my mouth. I did NOT say that player BECOMES THE #1. I said they go to the top of your prospects list and YOU RANK THEM ACCORDINGLY.

In the Sens case, Chabot and White go over average prospects like Lindberg and Prince IMMEDIATELY. Maybe they drop in three years, but as of now, they are our best prospects along with a few other guys.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:53 pm

Ev wrote:
    spader wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Ev wrote:

What if the player they drafted in the second round three years prior clearly has a greater upside than the 7th overall?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:17 am