This is me right now

LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Re: Ottawa prospect Number 1

Post by LeCaptain on Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:08 pm

Can't believe you guys are discussing this over dozens of posts.

Personnally, I got Ev's point the 1st time he mentionned it. Usually the most recent 1st rounder is usually one of if not the top prospect in the organization, no matter what Mark Stone does prior to his NHL stints.
    No matter how good a late rounder looks in the AHL, there will always be doubts until he breaks out at the NHL level. Bigger doubts than the recent first round pick. That's how it is and always will be.

Last edited by LeCaptain on Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:25 pm

LeCaptain wrote:Can't believe you guys are discussing this on dozens of posts.

Personnally, I got Ev's point the 1st time he mentionned it. Usually the most recent 1st rounder is usually one of if not the top prospect in the organization, no matter what Mark Stone does prior to his NHL stints.
    No matter how good a late rounder looks in the AHL, there will always be doubts until he breaks out at the NHL level. Bigger doubts than the recent first round pick. That's how it is and always will be.

We could have avoided a lot of this if he'd said it like that. "One of the top prospects" makes sense to me. "The top pick moves to the top of the list" says something else.

Whatever. I have Paul as the Sens top prospect right now, followed by Puempel. The other guys fight it out for the rest of the list. Chabot and White are definitely in the top 5 or so, but I was arguing that they don't go to the top of the list by virtue of their draft position.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:27 pm

I don't think Ev was saying they should be right at the top either, I think he was saying unless someone comes along like Paul who has shown and proven he's a top prospect then your draft position early on decides "potential". There is literally no other way to decide it until a lot plays out.

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:27 pm

I agree. That's where the confusion came from. I initially thought he was saying the new first rounder moves to the top of the list, which is silly. That's not what he was trying to say.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47960
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:37 am

Oh, I know exactly what he meant (took him a while to explain, though) but my point is that first rounders outside of the top-10 if not top-5 are such a crapshoot that most of them don't amount to anything more than a third liner *if* that. And when you have a prospect in your farm system who's already shown some of what he's capable of -- and it doesn't mean he's shown that he will be runner up to ROTY or anything like that -- can easily be in the same conversation as a spanking fresh mid first rounder.

Now, would a GM prefer to have a pick? For sure, because there is still a chance, with that first rounder, that you will find a payer that works out as a top-six NHLer, if not even better. With the in-house prospect you have a better idea of where he will end up and the possibility that he will be a special player may have already been dismissed. But overall most mid-first round picks don't amount to more than third liners or worse.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:16 am