EA 2009 vs 2k9

    Share
    avatar
    Phoenix30
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1271
    Age : 45
    Location : Turner Valley, Alberta
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-15

    EA 2009 vs 2k9

    Post by Phoenix30 on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:37 pm

    So I just got 2k9 for my birthday yesterday. I have never played it as I have always been a ea fan. Does anyone have any thoughts on the 2k9. Which is better. What does 2k9 have to offer, can you do roster updates etc. I havent opened it yet as I am looking for feedback because if 2k9 isnt that great then I can take it back before I open it.
    avatar
    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 5817
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9

    Post by PKC on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:39 pm

    I am, always have been, and always will be an EA fan. NHL Live 2009 is the superior franchise as far as I'm concerned -- although I must say I haven't played the 2k9 game, but from what I've heard and read, it's too 'arcade-y' for my taste.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 48177
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9

    Post by wprager on Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:17 am

    What platform? I'm looking forward to getting 2K9 for the Wii for my son for Christmas (is that three "for"s or do I count the one in "forward" as well?) I've never played any of those games, but I've also read lots of commentary about 2K9 being the "poor cousin" of NHL09. If they did a good job with the Wii remote it could be really, really good. On the flip side, it could be really, really average. The one thing the Wii remote-based games do not handle well at all is forward motion interpretation. If the game has a poke-check move it could be as brutal as Redden's.

    Does anyone here have first-hand experience with 2K9 on the Wii?
    avatar
    Phoenix30
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1271
    Age : 45
    Location : Turner Valley, Alberta
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-15

    Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9

    Post by Phoenix30 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:19 am

    wprager wrote:What platform? I'm looking forward to getting 2K9 for the Wii for my son for Christmas (is that three "for"s or do I count the one in "forward" as well?) I've never played any of those games, but I've also read lots of commentary about 2K9 being the "poor cousin" of NHL09. If they did a good job with the Wii remote it could be really, really good. On the flip side, it could be really, really average. The one thing the Wii remote-based games do not handle well at all is forward motion interpretation. If the game has a poke-check move it could be as brutal as Redden's.

    Does anyone here have first-hand experience with 2K9 on the Wii?

    Ooops ya that might help PS3
    avatar
    mattshock
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1772
    Age : 30
    Location : Calgary, AB
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-10-15

    Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9

    Post by mattshock on Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:49 am

    Phoenix30 wrote:So I just got 2k9 for my birthday yesterday. I have never played it as I have always been a ea fan. Does anyone have any thoughts on the 2k9. Which is better. What does 2k9 have to offer, can you do roster updates etc. I havent opened it yet as I am looking for feedback because if 2k9 isnt that great then I can take it back before I open it.

    Cast my vote for EA. I haven't played the '9's yet, but 2008 was MUCH better than 2k8 IMO.
    avatar
    smash88
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1354
    Age : 33
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-09-26

    Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9

    Post by smash88 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:06 am

    Yeah, I've played them both, and while 2K9 has some good things about it, EA's NHL09 is a lot better. No question...

    For the Wii, I've never played it yet but have friends who have bought it.. They said it was definitely a cool concept, but it would take time to get used to, they said the response from the remotes were pretty good, they didn't really encounter any problems with it, but they hadn't played for too long... I've heard from a few people that 2K9 for the Wii might be worth it, NHL09 on the other platforms...

    Just my take...
    avatar
    Jordo
    Sophomore
    Sophomore

    Number of posts : 675
    Location : Kanata, Ont.
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9

    Post by Jordo on Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:47 am

    2K9 is ridiculously fun on Wii. I appreciate the realism of the EA sports games, and they were always my favourites growing up- but the controls are just far too complex now. I'm not a vid freak or anything, and couldn't be bothered trying to adapt to the some 35 different controls it takes to play the game well.
    avatar
    smash88
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1354
    Age : 33
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-09-26

    Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9

    Post by smash88 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:54 am

    Jordo wrote:2K9 is ridiculously fun on Wii. I appreciate the realism of the EA sports games, and they were always my favourites growing up- but the controls are just far too complex now. I'm not a vid freak or anything, and couldn't be bothered trying to adapt to the some 35 different controls it takes to play the game well.

    Yes, there is the difference... Supposedly 2K9 is very "pick up and play" friendly.. Where as NHL09 is more for the avid gamer...

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9

    Post by Guest on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:09 am

    Jordo wrote:2K9 is ridiculously fun on Wii. I appreciate the realism of the EA sports games, and they were always my favourites growing up- but the controls are just far too complex now. I'm not a vid freak or anything, and couldn't be bothered trying to adapt to the some 35 different controls it takes to play the game well.

    I think it is best to comment having played both (PS3)...

    Fundamental difference is in the attention to detail. 2K9 is better rendered and has superior graphics. Some of the gameplay is superior and ease of play is superior. That said the attention to detail is horrible in terms of gameplay problems... can't call a timeout unless it is right after a goal, can't pull your goalie, has some wrong variables for the announcer (calling the wrong goalie name when making a save), roster shuffling has taken a step back, roster downloads are not easily available (last one in August).

    EA is a better simulation and their product verification team is better. They do not have as many bugs in the game play. The controls are a bit more difficult to get used to.

    In the end if you just want to play a non serious game with your pals... go 2K9 (especially if you have a Wii I hear). If you want a grand simulation and are an avid gamer go NHL09. Thats my 2 cents or .95 cents based on the market conditions...
    avatar
    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 5817
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9

    Post by PKC on Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:39 pm

    What are you guys talking about difficult controls for EA 2009? The left thumbstick controls your skates and your left thumbstick controls your stick. How is any of that complicated? Maybe for people who are just used to mashing buttons to get Dung done -- but EA has the superior player controls. By far.
    avatar
    mattshock
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1772
    Age : 30
    Location : Calgary, AB
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-10-15

    Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9

    Post by mattshock on Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:43 pm

    PKC wrote:What are you guys talking about difficult controls for EA 2009? The left thumbstick controls your skates and your left thumbstick controls your stick. How is any of that complicated? Maybe for people who are just used to mashing buttons to get Dung done -- but EA has the superior player controls. By far.

    If the controls are the same as EA 2008, they do take some getting used to.

    Once you figure them out though, they are quite fun to use.
    avatar
    smash88
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1354
    Age : 33
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-09-26

    Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9

    Post by smash88 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:45 pm

    PKC wrote:What are you guys talking about difficult controls for EA 2009? The left thumbstick controls your skates and your left thumbstick controls your stick. How is any of that complicated? Maybe for people who are just used to mashing buttons to get Dung done -- but EA has the superior player controls. By far.

    If you are an avid gamer for sure... But I've had friends come over and try to play NHL09, they can't... It's way too complicating for them... If you give them a couple of hours to screw around they might be ok, but the point with 2K9 is that anyone can just pick it up and play, even those who don't game very often...

    My opinion is NHL 09 is way better for someone who has always played video games..

    But for someone who just wants it so that they can play friends every once in a while then 2K9 is better for them... It's just a matter of preference..

    as a gamer i totally agree with you that EA has better controls, but think of someone who has never played, it will take them at least a few games to learn the controls...
    avatar
    PKC
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 5817
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-12

    Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9

    Post by PKC on Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:47 pm

    smash88 wrote:
    PKC wrote:What are you guys talking about difficult controls for EA 2009? The left thumbstick controls your skates and your left thumbstick controls your stick. How is any of that complicated? Maybe for people who are just used to mashing buttons to get Dung done -- but EA has the superior player controls. By far.

    If you are an avid gamer for sure... But I've had friends come over and try to play NHL09, they can't... It's way too complicating for them... If you give them a couple of hours to screw around they might be ok, but the point with 2K9 is that anyone can just pick it up and play, even those who don't game very often...

    My opinion is NHL 09 is way better for someone who has always played video games..

    But for someone who just wants it so that they can play friends every once in a while then 2K9 is better for them... It's just a matter of preference..

    as a gamer i totally agree with you that EA has better controls, but think of someone who has never played, it will take them at least a few games to learn the controls...

    I beg to differ. Almost every single person I've ever played with who had never picked up the game and played it before was able to at least hold their own with the controls. Sure it took them a game or so to get used to shooting going up or down, but they almost certainly raved about the controls.
    avatar
    smash88
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1354
    Age : 33
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-09-26

    Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9

    Post by smash88 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:50 pm

    PKC wrote:
    smash88 wrote:
    PKC wrote:What are you guys talking about difficult controls for EA 2009? The left thumbstick controls your skates and your left thumbstick controls your stick. How is any of that complicated? Maybe for people who are just used to mashing buttons to get Dung done -- but EA has the superior player controls. By far.

    If you are an avid gamer for sure... But I've had friends come over and try to play NHL09, they can't... It's way too complicating for them... If you give them a couple of hours to screw around they might be ok, but the point with 2K9 is that anyone can just pick it up and play, even those who don't game very often...

    My opinion is NHL 09 is way better for someone who has always played video games..

    But for someone who just wants it so that they can play friends every once in a while then 2K9 is better for them... It's just a matter of preference..

    as a gamer i totally agree with you that EA has better controls, but think of someone who has never played, it will take them at least a few games to learn the controls...

    I beg to differ. Almost every single person I've ever played with who had never picked up the game and played it before was able to at least hold their own with the controls. Sure it took them a game or so to get used to shooting going up or down, but they almost certainly raved about the controls.

    Well, not all but most of my friends, who don't usually play found it way too complicated to just play one game... the poke-checks, the hitting, the stick sweeps, the shooting.. especially when you play against someone who knows the controls....
    avatar
    Mosky
    Rookie
    Rookie

    Number of posts : 211
    Location : Ottawa, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-13

    Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9

    Post by Mosky on Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:04 pm

    smash88 wrote:
    PKC wrote:
    smash88 wrote:
    PKC wrote:What are you guys talking about difficult controls for EA 2009? The left thumbstick controls your skates and your left thumbstick controls your stick. How is any of that complicated? Maybe for people who are just used to mashing buttons to get Dung done -- but EA has the superior player controls. By far.

    If you are an avid gamer for sure... But I've had friends come over and try to play NHL09, they can't... It's way too complicating for them... If you give them a couple of hours to screw around they might be ok, but the point with 2K9 is that anyone can just pick it up and play, even those who don't game very often...

    My opinion is NHL 09 is way better for someone who has always played video games..

    But for someone who just wants it so that they can play friends every once in a while then 2K9 is better for them... It's just a matter of preference..

    as a gamer i totally agree with you that EA has better controls, but think of someone who has never played, it will take them at least a few games to learn the controls...

    I beg to differ. Almost every single person I've ever played with who had never picked up the game and played it before was able to at least hold their own with the controls. Sure it took them a game or so to get used to shooting going up or down, but they almost certainly raved about the controls.

    Well, not all but most of my friends, who don't usually play found it way too complicated to just play one game... the poke-checks, the hitting, the stick sweeps, the shooting.. especially when you play against someone who knows the controls....

    When I first started playing NHL 07 (which is when they switched over to the skill sticks; left stick skates, right stick stick) i was lost within the first 30 seconds. The new controls were difficult to grasp, and i was quite frustrated lol. But after two games or so, loved them. Very interactive and very fun to play once you get the swing of things. I have bought every new one every year from then on in. Even before 07, i still preferred the EA stream of hockey games. I did own 2k6 i believe.. or one of them and it really just reminded me of those cheaper NFL games where its just all about the hits, like NFL BLITZ or whatever its called lol.

    Not having played 2k9, i can't really make a decision but even if i have had played it, i still believe i would lean towards EA's NHL 09.. i love it. amazing game, sweet features... like be a pro mode, where you go from the bottom to the top, updated rosters surprisingly frequently.. its a really good bloody game.. and i'll mash anyone online squirrel

    Sponsored content

    Re: EA 2009 vs 2k9

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:42 pm