Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47977
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15

Post by wprager on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:40 am

SpezDispensed wrote:I guess he got beat out. He was injured for a while, perhaps that hurt him. It would have been nice, but all we should care about is how good he looks right now and how he's making a name for himself with or without the juniors.

How common is a PPG D-man in the OHL? And how many of those are 5'8" and 175 lbs?

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:44 am

Not that uncommon.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:48 am

Actually there are quite a few PPG D-men in the league, oh well. None of them come close to 6'6" of course.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by NEELY on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:59 am

Harpur is a nice looking prospect, hopefully he turns out. 6'6 and can skate, there's usually a spot on an NHL team somewhere.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54441
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:04 am

wprager wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:I guess he got beat out. He was injured for a while, perhaps that hurt him. It would have been nice, but all we should care about is how good he looks right now and how he's making a name for himself with or without the juniors.

How common is a PPG D-man in the OHL? And how many of those are 5'8" and 175 lbs?

You answered you own question there, they grow on trees. However, what doesn't grow on trees is 6'6", mobile guys who can also contribute offensively, so this bodes well for him at this level. Long way to go, but an exciting prospect.
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:08 am

Big defensemen are awful at the WJC
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24766
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:12 am

SpezDispensed wrote:
    wprager wrote:

You answered you own question there, they grow on trees. However, what doesn't grow on trees is 6'6", mobile guys who can also contribute offensively, so this bodes well for him at this level. Long way to go, but an exciting prospect.

Shoots left so he'll probably be rushed into the NHL lineup to address our perceived crisis on the left side.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:51 am

Wonder if Harpur's progress makes Cowen in a trade a little more palatable.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16335
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:58 am

There's years of development between Harpur and Cowen...but I see what you're getting at. We've got Wideman and Claesson waiting in the wings for their shot, so trading any d-man outside of Karlsson and Ceci isn't really that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. I still thing obtaining a stud LD is a priority, but we'll need to clear some d-men off our roster to help that along.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:12 pm

Not sure when Wideman will get a shot. I guess if/when one of the right handers gets injured, because all three have cemented themselves as NHLers long term IMO.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:14 pm

SpezDispensed wrote:Not sure when Wideman will get a shot. I guess if/when one of the right handers gets injured, because all three have cemented themselves as NHLers long term IMO.

Yeah, only injuries will allow him a crack at the NHL this year. He is really good trade-bait though with the numbers he's putting up.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:30 pm

Wideman will get a shot at some point even if it means having more righties than lefties on the point this year towards the end. Tim is right about the trade bait though, there's a guy who could attract some attention and could be a sweetener in any deal. He will be a decent to good NHLer IMO and I have had that view since the Sens drafted him.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:31 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:Not sure when Wideman will get a shot. I guess if/when one of the right handers gets injured, because all three have cemented themselves as NHLers long term IMO.

Yeah, only injuries will allow him a crack at the NHL this year. He is really good trade-bait though with the numbers he's putting up.

Maybe...it's so hard to say, right? The pessimist in me thinks that every NHL team has - or thinks they have - a Chris Wideman, so the worth on him might be really low.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:35 pm

SpezDispensed wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

Maybe...it's so hard to say, right? The pessimist in me thinks that every NHL team has - or thinks they have - a Chris Wideman, so the worth on him might be really low.

Yeah, there's a few AHL d-men with similar numbers. And he is a small player (5'10", 175lbs), but this doesn't matter like it used to.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:36 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

Yeah, there's a few AHL d-men with similar numbers. And he is a small player (5'10", 175lbs), but this doesn't matter like it used to.

Such an interesting question. I'd love to know what teams would offer for Wideman.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:41 pm

SpezDispensed wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

Such an interesting question. I'd love to know what teams would offer for Wideman.

I'd peg his current value at a 2nd rounder.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13131
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:51 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

I'd peg his current value at a 2nd rounder.
    Confused! what?
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24766
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:57 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

Dave Ezard was 105 pt. D-Man with what's been called one of the hardest shots ever and a Memorial Cup MVP. Never got drafted. Why? 5-7, 153 lbs.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:37 am