Number of posts : 16491
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Re: Ottawa Prospect watch 14-15

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:41 pm

SpezDispensed wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:Not sure when Wideman will get a shot.  I guess if/when one of the right handers gets injured, because all three have cemented themselves as NHLers long term IMO.

Yeah, only injuries will allow him a crack at the NHL this year.  He is really good trade-bait though with the numbers he's putting up.

Maybe...it's so hard to say, right?  The pessimist in me thinks that every NHL team has - or thinks they have - a Chris Wideman, so the worth on him might be really low.

Yeah, there's a few AHL d-men with similar numbers.  And he is a small player (5'10", 175lbs), but this doesn't matter like it used to.

Such an interesting question. I'd love to know what teams would offer for Wideman.

I'd peg his current value at a 2nd rounder.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13344
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:51 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:Not sure when Wideman will get a shot.  I guess if/when one of the right handers gets injured, because all three have cemented themselves as NHLers long term IMO.

Yeah, only injuries will allow him a crack at the NHL this year.  He is really good trade-bait though with the numbers he's putting up.

Maybe...it's so hard to say, right?  The pessimist in me thinks that every NHL team has - or thinks they have - a Chris Wideman, so the worth on him might be really low.

Yeah, there's a few AHL d-men with similar numbers.  And he is a small player (5'10", 175lbs), but this doesn't matter like it used to.

Such an interesting question.  I'd love to know what teams would offer for Wideman.  

Confused!  what?

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24783
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:57 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

Dave Ezard was 105 pt. D-Man with what's been called one of the hardest shots ever and a Memorial Cup MVP. Never got drafted. Why? 5-7, 153 lbs.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:58 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

Such an interesting question.  I'd love to know what teams would offer for Wideman.  

Confused!  what?

I believe Christopher Wideman of the Binghamton Senators could fetch a 2nd round pick in return in a trade scenario. Does this clarify my statement for you?
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:00 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

Dave Ezard was 105 pt. D-Man with what's been called one of the hardest shots ever and a Memorial Cup MVP. Never got drafted. Why? 5-7, 153 lbs.

35 years ago lol...Only Walter is old enough to remember him.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:06 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

Confused!  what?

I believe Christopher Wideman of the Binghamton Senators could fetch a 2nd round pick in return in a trade scenario.  Does this clarify my statement for you?
    Confused! Confused! Confused!  I believe you are wrong. the guy has never seen an NHL regular season game.
    right now i'm wondering if you are joking.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:08 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

Confused!  what?

I believe Christopher Wideman of the Binghamton Senators could fetch a 2nd round pick in return in a trade scenario.  Does this clarify my statement for you?
    Confused! Confused! Confused!  I believe you are wrong. the guy has never seen an NHL regular season game.

That's only because of our astonishing depth.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:18 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

The way I look at it is that would you get a better defenceman with a 2nd round pick? Possibly, but it would be riskier as well. Wideman has at least played three years of professional hockey now and has shown improvement each step of the way.

He was drafted in the 4th round and has only increased in value since then I think.

Look at the d-men drafted in the 2nd round of the 2013 draft and point out someone obviously better than Wideman:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NHL_Entry_Draft#Round_two

Heck, do it for the 2012 draft too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NHL_Entry_Draft#Round_two

The one guy that is having a better career so far, between those two 2nd round draft classes, is Damon Severson.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:38 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

The way I look at it is that would you get a better defenceman with a 2nd round pick?  Possibly, but it would be riskier as well.  Wideman has at least played three years of professional hockey now and has shown improvement each step of the way.  

He was drafted in the 4th round and has only increased in value since then I think.

Look at the d-men drafted in the 2nd round of the 2013 draft and point out someone obviously better than Wideman:

Heck, do it for the 2012 draft too:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NHL_Entry_Draft#Round_two

The one guy that is having a better career so far, between those two 2nd round draft classes, is Damon Severson.
    ya but the difference with picks is once you use them on which ever player they no longer hold thesame value usually(out of the 2nd round mostly, but also in the first two) IMO it doesn't work using a player's drafted position to generalize their worth. I see a guy breaking out in the AHL but he's not 20-21, he's 24. there's no guarantee he can make the jump to the NHL and he hasn't seen a meaningful game in the NHL. we could argue the value for sure but i would say a 2nd rounder is way too much
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:01 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

The way I look at it is that would you get a better defenceman with a 2nd round pick?  Possibly, but it would be riskier as well.  Wideman has at least played three years of professional hockey now and has shown improvement each step of the way.  

Heck, do it for the 2012 draft too:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NHL_Entry_Draft#Round_two

ya but the difference with picks is once you use them on which ever player they no longer hold thesame value usually(out of the 2nd round mostly, but also in the first two) IMO it doesn't work using a player's drafted position to generalize their worth. I see a guy breaking out in the AHL but he's not 20-21, he's 24. there's no guarantee he can make the jump to the NHL and he hasn't seen a meaningful game in the NHL. we could argue the value for sure but i would say a 2nd rounder is way too much

We'll never know, since it's not like Wideman is going to be traded straight-up for a pick.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54629
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:13 pm

a 3rd at most would be my guess. A team would likely prefer to send you a forward prospect for him straight up. Again though, I'm really curious, I wish we could be a fly on the wall for that.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10071
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:47 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:

35 years ago lol...Only Walter is old enough to remember him.

Perhaps he was just trying to reinforce your point by demonstrating how size used to matter more (since you said "it doesn't matter like it used to."
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:45 am

- Nick Paul - 58GP-37G-29A-66 OHL

- Tobias Lindberg - 67-32-46-78 OHL

- Harpur - 58GP, 5G, 26A-31 OHL

- Dunn - 46-19-13-32 QMJHL

- Perron - 64-29-47-76 QMJHL

- Wikstrand - 46-5-15-20 SEL
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:49 am

- Da Costa - 46-30-32-62 KHL

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:57 am

Love me some Lindberg. Big boy with a knack for scoring.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:10 am

A lot to like in that list. I'll be very interested to see how Francis Perron turns out. Started playing Major Junior at 16.

Interesting to note that while the myth that Detroit "keeps" finding late round gems persists, Ottawa is the team that actually does it for real.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:42 am

Lindberg and Perron are intriguing prospects. I especially liked what Lindberg did in his limited pre season time.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 21010
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:04 am

Wikstrand is a stud

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content