interesting trade proposal...

    Share

    Poll

    Rate this Trade - Should Murray and Colorado iron this out?

    [ 2 ]
    29% [29%] 
    [ 4 ]
    57% [57%] 
    [ 1 ]
    14% [14%] 

    Total Votes: 7
    avatar
    Cronie
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 3032
    Age : 37
    Location : East of Ottawa..
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    interesting trade proposal...

    Post by Cronie on Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:54 pm

    I came across a post on HFboards from "Sens fan in Toronto" where he posted this possible trade scenario.

    what do you all think?


    If I was BM, I would offer

    Gerber + SJ's 1st

    for

    Col's 1st + Brandon Yip (or another boom or bust prospect)

    Bring Elliott up, it upgrades our 1st rounder and if the prospect develops well it could look like a steal.
    avatar
    smash88
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1354
    Age : 33
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-09-26

    Re: interesting trade proposal...

    Post by smash88 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:05 pm

    Cronenbergfan wrote:I came across a post on HFboards from "Sens fan in Toronto" where he posted this possible trade scenario.

    what do you all think?


    If I was BM, I would offer

    Gerber + SJ's 1st

    for

    Col's 1st + Brandon Yip (or another boom or bust prospect)

    Bring Elliott up, it upgrades our 1st rounder and if the prospect develops well it could look like a steal.

    I'm not so sure I'd feel comfortable with Auld/Elliott as our backstoppers... I don't know but is it just me?
    avatar
    mattshock
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1772
    Age : 30
    Location : Calgary, AB
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-10-15

    Re: interesting trade proposal...

    Post by mattshock on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:21 pm

    I'd do it.

    Worst case scenario we pick up Khabibulin.

    Elliot looked GREAT in the game he was up last year, and has a 0.970 SV% so far this year (albeit through two games) in the minors this season.
    avatar
    Cronie
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 3032
    Age : 37
    Location : East of Ottawa..
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: interesting trade proposal...

    Post by Cronie on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:44 pm

    smash88 wrote:
    Cronenbergfan wrote:I came across a post on HFboards from "Sens fan in Toronto" where he posted this possible trade scenario.

    what do you all think?


    If I was BM, I would offer

    Gerber + SJ's 1st

    for

    Col's 1st + Brandon Yip (or another boom or bust prospect)

    Bring Elliott up, it upgrades our 1st rounder and if the prospect develops well it could look like a steal.

    No, not at all. You're certainly not the first to be leary about going with Auld and/or Elliott.
    However, the gambler in me thinks since most 'grounded' Sens fans don't expect us to ACTUALLY hoist Lord Stanley this year (don't get me wrong, it COULD happen and would be freakin' awesome if it did, but I'm not thinking for a second we're a LOCK to do so) why not take a gamble and see what happens? Thing is, we would have Gerber off the books in July regardless of what happens this season anyway (at least I'm fairly confident that will happen as Gerber is officially the last player or signing with Muckler's fingerprints) so why not get his salary off our books and keep a nice amount of cap space available for anything Murray feels the Sens may need come deadline day and just go for it.

    Thoughts?

    I'm not so sure I'd feel comfortable with Auld/Elliott as our backstoppers... I don't know but is it just me?
    avatar
    mattshock
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1772
    Age : 30
    Location : Calgary, AB
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-10-15

    Re: interesting trade proposal...

    Post by mattshock on Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:08 pm

    I say we have a better chance of making a run with Elliot than with Gerber.

    With Gerber we know for sure he won't get hot and will let in some softies. With Elliot, maybe he will, maybe he won't.

    We're dumping Gerbs in the summer anyways, so why wouldn't we drop his salary and take an upgrade in draft pick to do it sooner. In my opinion he's not helping the team by being here.

    It's a no brainer to me.
    avatar
    Cronie
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 3032
    Age : 37
    Location : East of Ottawa..
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: interesting trade proposal...

    Post by Cronie on Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:12 pm

    mattbond wrote:I say we have a better chance of making a run with Elliot than with Gerber.

    With Gerber we know for sure he won't get hot and will let in some softies. With Elliot, maybe he will, maybe he won't.

    We're dumping Gerbs in the summer anyways, so why wouldn't we drop his salary and take an upgrade in draft pick to do it sooner. In my opinion he's not helping the team by being here.

    It's a no brainer to me.

    Kind of my thoughts exactly.
    Now, it may be completely moot as it appears Hartsburg and Murray want to run with Gerbs for a while anyway and see what happens (at least that's what they are openly conveying to the public and thus far, none of my friends or insiders can provide any insight on the goalie thing as of today) so I'll give Gerbs my support and loyalty, but I'll go on the record and say he always makes me nervous and yet I will defend him if unfairly targeted. Having said that, if a sweet trade were to arise (like the one mentioned in the into to this thread IMO) I would pounce some quick!
    avatar
    mattshock
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1772
    Age : 30
    Location : Calgary, AB
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-10-15

    Re: interesting trade proposal...

    Post by mattshock on Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:18 pm

    Cronenbergfan wrote:Kind of my thoughts exactly.
    Now, it may be completely moot as it appears Hartsburg and Murray want to run with Gerbs for a while anyway and see what happens (at least that's what they are openly conveying to the public and thus far, none of my friends or insiders can provide any insight on the goalie thing as of today) so I'll give Gerbs my support and loyalty, but I'll go on the record and say he always makes me nervous and yet I will defend him if unfairly targeted. Having said that, if a sweet trade were to arise (like the one mentioned in the into to this thread IMO) I would pounce some quick!

    Sweet, we've got some insider sources over at GMHockey. Just tell me his favourite game isn't 'fetch'.
    avatar
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 13608
    Age : 44
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: interesting trade proposal...

    Post by Cap'n Clutch on Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:54 am

    I would not do this trade and I don't think Colorado would want Gerbs anyway. No one wants him right now. Give him 20 or 30 games like he played against Phoenix and like he played vs. Detroit (Minus the softies) and then there will be a market for him. At that point I'd still keep him because if he plays that well then you don't want to get rid of him right?


    _________________
    "A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

    - Unknown Author
    avatar
    mattshock
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1772
    Age : 30
    Location : Calgary, AB
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-10-15

    Re: interesting trade proposal...

    Post by mattshock on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:09 am

    Gerbs trade value has always been low, but then, any team who tries to move a goalie recently has had low returns. Look at Mike Smith, Huet, or Al Montoya (coming to mind), none netted significant return. Gerbers value has to be lower than any of those. I think we'd have to pay to get rid of the guy at this point.
    avatar
    smash88
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1354
    Age : 33
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-09-26

    Re: interesting trade proposal...

    Post by smash88 on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:12 am

    mattbond wrote:Gerbs trade value has always been low, but then, any team who tries to move a goalie recently has had low returns. Look at Mike Smith, Huet, or Al Montoya (coming to mind), none netted significant return. Gerbers value has to be lower than any of those. I think we'd have to pay to get rid of the guy at this point.

    Yeah but in a sense just getting his salary off our books would be a win for us... LOL Man really couldn't of seen me saying that 5 years ago! Rolling Eyes
    avatar
    mattshock
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1772
    Age : 30
    Location : Calgary, AB
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-10-15

    Re: interesting trade proposal...

    Post by mattshock on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:28 am

    His salary doesn't look THAT bad, considering. He's making half as much as Khabibulin and is comparable.

    There are LOTS of goaltenders making $5M+ that are second tier at best. I'll take 'Gerbs in a contract year over that.
    avatar
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 13608
    Age : 44
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: interesting trade proposal...

    Post by Cap'n Clutch on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:28 am

    I still think it's a bad move. Elliot can't shoulder the load, I'm not confidant enough in Auld for more than a 10 to 15 game stop gap and there's not really an option out there that is readily available and a significant upgrade to Gerber is there?


    _________________
    "A child with Autism is not ignoring you, they are waiting for you to enter their world."

    - Unknown Author
    avatar
    mattshock
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1772
    Age : 30
    Location : Calgary, AB
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-10-15

    Re: interesting trade proposal...

    Post by mattshock on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:38 am

    Cap'n' Clutch wrote:I still think it's a bad move. Elliot can't shoulder the load, I'm not confidant enough in Auld for more than a 10 to 15 game stop gap and there's not really an option out there that is readily available and a significant upgrade to Gerber is there?

    I know it's early, but I've lost all confidence in Gerber.

    We're not going anywhere with him, and if we made this trade we'd be in a better position to deal for another goalie (wouldn't have to send Gerber the other way).

    Toskala is an interesting option, as with Pogge in the wings and the rebuild, he could become expendable. Whether TOR would trade with us is another issue, but if we took on Mark Bell's contract and sent a propsect and a pick the other way, it could get it done (as discussed in the other thread).

    I think at this point I just want Gerber gone. For every big save he makes, he makes 10 saves where he looks shaky, and I don't know how much longer I can handle the CONSTANT softies.
    avatar
    smash88
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1354
    Age : 33
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-09-26

    Re: interesting trade proposal...

    Post by smash88 on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:41 am

    mattbond wrote:
    Cap'n' Clutch wrote:I still think it's a bad move. Elliot can't shoulder the load, I'm not confidant enough in Auld for more than a 10 to 15 game stop gap and there's not really an option out there that is readily available and a significant upgrade to Gerber is there?

    I know it's early, but I've lost all confidence in Gerber.

    We're not going anywhere with him, and if we made this trade we'd be in a better position to deal for another goalie (wouldn't have to send Gerber the other way).

    Toskala is an interesting option, as with Pogge in the wings and the rebuild, he could become expendable. Whether TOR would trade with us is another issue, but if we took on Mark Bell's contract and sent a propsect and a pick the other way, it could get it done (as discussed in the other thread).

    I think at this point I just want Gerber gone. For every big save he makes, he makes 10 saves where he looks shaky, and I don't know how much longer I can handle the CONSTANT softies.

    or the constant rebounds that skip out to the high slot almost everytime... I cringe everytime a shot is taken on our goal...
    avatar
    mattshock
    Veteran
    Veteran

    Number of posts : 1772
    Age : 30
    Location : Calgary, AB
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-10-15

    Re: interesting trade proposal...

    Post by mattshock on Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:44 am

    I know... it's so frightening.

    I cringe every time an unscreened point shot gets taken. The man is a human rebound machine.

    Sponsored content

    Re: interesting trade proposal...

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 am