Toronto Maple Leafs TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16437
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Re: Toronto Maple Leafs TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:20 am

Really, if you're hiring the right people, this could be a good thing for Ol' Bluey. Time will tell.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48173
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:49 am

tim1_2 wrote:Really, if you're hiring the right people, this could be a good thing for Ol' Bluey.  Time will tell.

I don't disagree, but hiring *four* sounds a bit over the top. I see analytics as something like a video coach. Never had a need for them before Roger started, now pretty much every team has one. It's just one more tool that the coach can use (analytics could be used by coach, GM and scouts). It's not a substitute for anything, just one more tool. But you don't see any teams carrying four video coaches.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:31 pm

wprager wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Really, if you're hiring the right people, this could be a good thing for Ol' Bluey.  Time will tell.

I don't disagree, but hiring *four* sounds a bit over the top.  I see analytics as something like a video coach.  Never had a need for them before Roger started, now pretty much every team has one.  It's just one more tool that the coach can use (analytics could be used by coach, GM and scouts).  It's not a substitute for anything, just one more tool.  But you don't see any teams carrying four video coaches.

Maybe the Leafs are also looking at inventing new metrics and looking at new ways of interpreting data and not just strictly analyzing stuff the way it's currently being done. If they get some smart minds that can work together, than there is a benefit to them.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10071
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:34 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:

I don't disagree, but hiring *four* sounds a bit over the top.  I see analytics as something like a video coach.  Never had a need for them before Roger started, now pretty much every team has one.  It's just one more tool that the coach can use (analytics could be used by coach, GM and scouts).  It's not a substitute for anything, just one more tool.  But you don't see any teams carrying four video coaches.

Maybe the Leafs are also looking at inventing new metrics and looking at new ways of interpreting data and not just strictly analyzing stuff the way it's currently being done.  If they get some smart minds that can work together, than there is a benefit to them.

Exactly. There's tons of raw data available, and they're developing new ways of looking at it all the time. The "video coach" analogy seems a little short sighted (and, frankly, ignorant).
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48173
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:55 am

You've all heard of "too many cooks". Analytics should be feeding one more set of recommendations into the management and when you have 4 guys you are not likely to get consensus. Anyhow, my opinion, that's all it is. With something this new wouldn't kill them to be a little more cautious. But, then again, the Leafs haven't done many things right in the last decade so they must feel they need to do something.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:21 am

Steve Lloyd actually had a semi-intelligent point on the radio yesterday. He was wondering why Mike Babcock keeps going on and on about how good Nazem Kadri has been when Kadri's numbers are not good.

Steve figured that Babcock was either trying to polish the turd for a trade, or provide some sort of pyschological boost throgh the praise.

Kadri has 2G, 6A, for 8 points in 22 games. He's been getting 17-20 minutes per game, including lots of PP time.

Remember, he signed that one year $4M deal in the off-season. So he's either gonna be resigned or traded.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54585
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:38 am

Yikes, 8 whole points?
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:40 am

SpezDispensed wrote:Yikes, 8 whole points?  

8 points with top-line duty.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:40 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Steve Lloyd actually had a semi-intelligent point on the radio yesterday.  He was wondering why Mike Babcock keeps going on and on about how good Nazem Kadri has been when Kadri's numbers are not good.

Steve figured that Babcock was either trying to polish the turd for a trade, or provide some sort of pyschological boost throgh the praise.

Kadri has 2G, 6A, for 8 points in 22 games.  He's been getting 17-20 minutes per game, including lots of PP time.

Remember, he signed that one year $4M deal in the off-season.  So he's either gonna be resigned or traded.

FWIW, he's also got 87 shots. Good for 6th in the league. I'm guessing his 2% shooting % will climb. He's snakebit.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20939
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:47 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Steve Lloyd actually had a semi-intelligent point on the radio yesterday.  He was wondering why Mike Babcock keeps going on and on about how good Nazem Kadri has been when Kadri's numbers are not good.

Kadri has 2G, 6A, for 8 points in 22 games.  He's been getting 17-20 minutes per game, including lots of PP time.

Remember, he signed that one year $4M deal in the off-season.  So he's either gonna be resigned or traded.
    He has a ton of shots though and has been playing well
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:51 pm

Ev wrote:

He has a ton of shots though and has been playing well

Deja vu. I feel like someone just said that.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:58 pm

Yeah, a ton of shots can mean that you're getting a ton of opportunities, or it can mean that you're literally just firing from anywhere and not likely to score a lot of goals.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:45 pm