General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47936
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by wprager on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:00 am

A win is a win. As ugly as the last two have been, they still got 2 points in each. But tomorrow they need to not only win, but also win in regulation. Tall order. Hopefully Boston will be pretty tired playing their third game in four nights plus the traveling.

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20853
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Re: General Hockey Talk - Injuries, signings, factoids + other news from around the league

Post by Ev on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:16 am

How was the sabrea game ugly?

LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:13 am

Ev wrote:How was the sabrea game ugly?

Yeah I'm wondering. It was total domination.
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13614
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:27 am

tim1_2 wrote:Lots of remaining games for the Bruins to lose and us to win. All we can do is keep winning.

It's still going to be very tough. The Sens have to keep this ridiculous run alive by winning Tuesday, winning their game in hand and beating Boston in the second of two meetings and even then that would put them one point ahead after having gone close to 20 games without a regulation loss.

- Unknown Author
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24764
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:34 am

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Lots of remaining games for the Bruins to lose and us to win. All we can do is keep winning.

It's still going to be very tough. The Sens have to keep this ridiculous run alive by winning Tuesday, winning their game in hand and beating Boston in the second of two meetings and even then that would put them one point ahead after having gone close to 20 games without a regulation loss.

LET'S DO IT!!!!
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:36 am

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    Cap'n Clutch wrote:

LET'S DO IT!!!!

I agree. Sounds like a plan, Cap.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:43 am

tim1_2 wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if that was the season. You never know I guess.

You can't be anything but optimistic right now. If they had to learn a lesson along the way, better that it was learned (hopefully) against the Flames instead of the Bruins. Even if you're leading 10 - 0 you keep the foot on the gas.

Yeah, I'm not sure how anyone can call it a wrap NOW, considering the team has lost one regulation game in their last 10.

Seriously. The fact that they've gotten themselves into this position is pretty remarkable. If Boston hits even a minor rough patch, the Sens have every chance of ousting them. It's all positive right now, unless you're on the tank bus.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54404

Post by PTFlea on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:04 pm

It might be destiny. We'll see...I thought they were screwed after Boston won the back to back games.

Pretty amazing streak that hopefully carries into next season.
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24764
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:22 pm

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13112
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:37 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:6 schmill for 7 years for Boychunk.

http://www.tsn.ca/islanders-ink-boychuk-to-seven-year-deal-1.229024
    Good for boychuck. Also good because oil fans were a little too cocky thinking he would just head to the hometown.

This is also favourable when you think of trades which have a chance of not resigning with the org that trades for them. Bobby rye was the same. It's a good story.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:45 pm

What's the over/under on how many years of that 7-year deal he'll actually be worth $6M. He's 32 now.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16317
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:03 pm

Yeah, this might not be a good signing a few years down the road but for now it's fine...and if the cap goes up, it lessens the impact if Boychuk goes downhill.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13112
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:44 pm

I like the deal for the isles it's about a need they have And are filling. Ya the last 2 years are tough but if they win a cup during that time thanks to him in part or build a much more competitive team that way all is worth it.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:53 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Yeah, this might not be a good signing a few years down the road but for now it's fine...and if the cap goes up, it lessens the impact if Boychuk goes downhill.

Considering they are moving into a 14,000 seat arena I hope they have a nice TV deal.

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20853
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:02 pm

What an awful deal for boychuk
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54404

Post by PTFlea on Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:24 pm

That's probably about right. The term is long though.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16317
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:00 pm

Lol, Ev, you've become a weirdo lately. If it's an "awful" deal, he wouldn't have signed it. He chose a good team, for a long term. Good deal for Boychuk.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:43 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Lol, Ev, you've become a weirdo lately. If it's an "awful" deal, he wouldn't have signed it. He chose a good team, for a long term. Good deal for Boychuk.

May be he meant it was an awful deal to give for Boychuk.

Considering Methot signed for less term and $1.1M less. I'd say that's a clear savings of $1.5M per season. Deals like that absolutely have to be taken into consideration when you complain how little the Senators are spending.

So whatever the cap hit is next year, add $1.5M because that's how much more the Rangers/Islanders would have paid for Staal/Boychuk on a shorter deal. And then look at Karlsson's $6.5M and add another $2.5M because that's how much more the Habs spent on Subban. And so on down the roster. Hell, we are probably over the cap by quite a bit.

Mind you, by the same token you should subtract the cap hits of Phillips and Greening (paid *not* to play) at least a portion of Michalek's.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:43 am