Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54441
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Post by PTFlea on Mon May 04, 2015 5:07 pm

He let up that one horrific goal in the Frozen Four IIRC lol.

That said, it's such a nice free asset. If we're the one he picks, it's like finding a free 2nd round pick kicking around. Semi-developed too.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Mon May 04, 2015 5:14 pm

Hopefully they sign O'Connor, he's a good prospect and just adds to the depth in goal and creates competition throughout the organization. Having a system where players are given nothing is exactly what you want.

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16335
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Tue May 05, 2015 11:16 am

Any updates on Matt "Vezina" O'Connor?
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24766
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue May 05, 2015 11:35 am

tim1_2 wrote:Any updates on Matt "Vezina" O'Connor?

Decision should be coming "this weekend." Which is what was said last week but at that time "this weekend" meant the weekend which has just passed.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Tue May 05, 2015 12:17 pm

SpezDispensed wrote:He let up that one horrific goal in the Frozen Four IIRC lol.  

That said, it's such a nice free asset.  If we're the one he picks, it's like finding a free 2nd round pick kicking around.  Semi-developed too.

Well, that's just it. If he signs in Ottawa, they'll have another promising, young goalie in the system that's closer to ready than anyone they could draft for the position.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Tue May 05, 2015 1:43 pm

Stone finished 6th in the NHL in points per 60 minutes among forwards that played at least 1000 5-on-5 minutes last season, ahead of scrubs like Crosby and Tavares. 

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?db=201415&sit=5v5&type=individual&teamid=0&pos=forwards&minutes=1000&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Tue May 05, 2015 2:17 pm

spader wrote:Stone finished 6th in the NHL in points per 60 minutes among forwards that played at least 1000 5-on-5 minutes last season, ahead of scrubs like Crosby and Tavares. 

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/ratings.php?db=201415&sit=5v5&type=individual&teamid=0&pos=forwards&minutes=1000&disp=1&sort=PCT&sortdir=DESC

Wow, that's incredible. Too bad MacLean screwed with him by benching him and demoting him to the 3rd and 4th line or it could have been even higher.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Tue May 05, 2015 2:19 pm

SpezDispensed wrote:
    spader wrote:Stone finished 6th in the NHL in points per 60 minutes among forwards that played at least 1000 5-on-5 minutes last season, ahead of scrubs like Crosby and Tavares. 

Wow, that's incredible.   Too bad MacLean screwed with him by benching him and demoting him to the 3rd and 4th line or it could have been even higher.  

Who knows? Maybe that was the kick in the pants he needed.  Shrug
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Tue May 05, 2015 2:34 pm

spader wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:

Wow, that's incredible.   Too bad MacLean screwed with him by benching him and demoting him to the 3rd and 4th line or it could have been even higher.  

Not that I recall, but that's in the realm of possibility.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Tue May 05, 2015 2:59 pm

SpezDispensed wrote:
    spader wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:

I suppose I just meant that there's no point in second guessing something like that, especially when we're so happy with the result. 

I can't wait to see how Stone performs this season. If he hits the ground running and last season is not an aberration, we might have another all-star on our hands. 

Excitement!  HappyDance1
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47977
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Post by wprager on Tue May 05, 2015 3:03 pm

Stone has already said (in his media availability on garbage bag days) that he's going to train hard to keep improving his skating. Sounds like he's saying all the right things.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue May 05, 2015 3:04 pm

Maybe he can get Bobby Ryan to be his gym buddy. Then make sure they go to the gym that Methot frequents.

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Tue May 05, 2015 3:06 pm

spader wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    spader wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:

I suppose I just meant that there's no point in second guessing something like that, especially when we're so happy with the result. 

I can't wait to see how Stone performs this season. If he hits the ground running and last season is not an aberration, we might have another all-star on our hands. 

Excitement!  HappyDance1

Very exciting player to see live. Filthy high hockey IQ and a sweet set of hands to go with it.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue May 05, 2015 3:16 pm

I'd like to see him playing for Canada in the World Cup a year from September. I'd imaging those who play in that tournament will have a head-start on the rest come October.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24766
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Tue May 05, 2015 3:23 pm

SpezDispensed wrote:
    spader wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    spader wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:

Excitement!  HappyDance1

Very exciting player to see live.  Filthy high hockey IQ and a sweet set of hands to go with it.

You mustn't have thought so at the trade deadline because you were willing to see him traded at that time.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Tue May 05, 2015 4:38 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    spader wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    spader wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:

Excitement!  HappyDance1

Very exciting player to see live.  Filthy high hockey IQ and a sweet set of hands to go with it.

You mustn't have thought so at the trade deadline because you were willing to see him traded at that time.

What did I say exactly? I doubt I was all for jettisoning him for a pick.
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue May 05, 2015 4:52 pm

I actually don't remember anyone actively lobbying to get him traded. Some were putting Stone on the protected list, others were saying that you just couldn't say no if it was for someone like a ROR or Eberle or whatnot.

But that was when it would have been Stone ++ for one of those, and now it would have to be a one-for-one.

Would anyone consider Stone for ROR, straight swap? How about Eberle? Don't forget that this is one season -- not a trend yet.

Personally, I think Stone is going to be a special player and I wouldn't move him unless the return was an elite scoring forward. I think Stone will give you 60-70 points *and* excellent defensive game as well. And he will also make others around him better. So I would love to get ROR to play *with* Stone because I believe he would make him better.

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Tue May 05, 2015 8:12 pm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:38 am