GDT: Sens @ Leafs - Sunday, Apr 5th, 7:30pm, City

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 47960
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: GDT: Sens @ Leafs - Sunday, Apr 5th, 7:30pm, City

Post by wprager on Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:57 am

Phillips should see the writing on the wall. Neil, too. The team went on a run when their "leadership" was missing.

It sill burns me that Phillips was so obviously bad as Karlsson's partner early on and they kept trotting him out. If they had played him with a combination of Wier/Boro for those games and kept Phillips on the bottom pairing I wonder how many extra points that would have added to our totals. I can see is missing out by 1-2 points and that would be really a hard pill to swallow.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24766
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:00 am

Ev wrote:Here's what's gonna happen. Sens win on Tuesday, lose on Thursday in SO, win on Saturday.

Pittsburgh loses on Tuesday, loses again on Thursday to NYI, and wins against Buffalo on Saturday.

Bruins lose on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday

Very good.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:02 am

This one still stings... they really need to find a way to beat the Leafs on a much more regular basis. Some teams just have your number no matter their place in the standings or how good each team is in general.

They took 4 of 6 points in the 3 games vs the Leafs in the last 3 meetings so if someone were to say that was the end result at the end of their 3 game mini series I think I would have taken it.

Just looking back at the game last night and the last month in general you really have to look at Hoffman going forward and question what he's worth and if you can win with him in your top 6? IMO the answer is no but he should be perfect on a 3rd line but Ottawa seems to have enough depth from within and your 3rd line needs to play a fairly responsible game. Like Ev and I have been saying, he's a good candidate to be a center piece in any deal that involves a better player coming back, same with Cowen (my opinion).

Hammond has been great other than that 1 game some people seem to always keep talking about. Is he a #1? I have no clue, the sample size is still too small to really hang all your hopes on the guy but there is no way in hell you let him walk at this point, 2 year, 2-2.5 million total and if he takes the job he takes the job. Let him fight it out with Lehner and the guy who wins, that's your guy. Then there is Hogberg who in limited viewings looks like a legit prospect, Dreidger has potential, and O'Connor being signed would be huge. 1 think I do know is Anderson should be on the move at some point this summer, he's a distraction at the best of times.

Ryan hurt hand or not needs to shoot the puck a little more, he's giving it up way too often and unless you have another trigger man beside him then he needs to put the puck on net even if it's just for a rebound. He's playing his heart out but just a very simple thing to correct.

Turris is a #1 center but not sure how many people will actually admit it. Guy does everything right. Stone, he's going to be on the next Olympic team, he's a star in the making.

The D needs a puck mover on that 3rd pairing, Gryba is a good 6, 7 guy but you need someone who can move the puck up ice smoothly and hopefully that guy is Wideman. Maybe they bring a guy in but you have to have faith in your system.

Hopefully they run the table this week and if they do you have to hope it will be enough but it might not. Ottawa needs to go 3-0 and everyone else needs to go 1-1-1 at worst. Gonna be tough but this is going to be a fun game tomorrow.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by NEELY on Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:09 am

wprager wrote:Phillips should see the writing on the wall. Neil, too. The team went on a run when their "leadership" was missing.

It sill burns me that Phillips was so obviously bad as Karlsson's partner early on and they kept trotting him out. If they had played him with a combination of Wier/Boro for those games and kept Phillips on the bottom pairing I wonder how many extra points that would have added to our totals. I can see is missing out by 1-2 points and that would be really a hard pill to swallow.

There were other reasons as well and basically you can point it all back MacLean's refusal to play the younger guys and this is my personal opinion but go with Lehner at any point. MacLean almost ruined Wiercioch, he may have ruined Lehner, he for sure destroyed Zack Smith, and he just kept trotting out players that couldn't play and contribute the way they were being used.

There is just no way Phillips can come back into the lineup for the Sens next year. There are 10 D men in the system that are better than Phillips, all 7 on the roster right now, Wideman, Claeson, and Englund for sure, can make the case that Phillips and Harpur on the same level and that's concerning for Phillips not that anyone wasn't concerned for him before.

If he's smart he retires at the end of the season, he has his games played record, he has business, he has his respect and dignity. Go out with all of that and enjoy the city he's become a staple in and he and his family have been great too, they deserve it and he should be part of the organization until he doesn't see fit. Everything he has he deserves and his career should be celebrated but man, gotta hang them up, he's not an NHL player anymore.

To you original point though, it was more than just Phillips that cost the Sens the playoffs (MacLean) but you know that's not going to happen next year. Next year is the year the Sens really make a push for the cup and the next 5 years after simply because they turned the corner here. This isn't a lost season if they don't make the playoffs, it's anything but that.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16331
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:15 am

Hoffman was the reason they got their 4 on 4 goal in regulation. Guy is a bit of a mess in his own end.

Hammond was ridiculous, and gave us every opportunity to win. At this point he has to be one of our goalies next year. Maybe the magic will have worn off, but you can't not try at this point.

You can't really complain about anything from this game...we lost in the dumb shootout. I dunno why most of our shooters tried to go low/deke when Bernier is known to be weaker up high.

Let's just beat Pittsburgh.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:26 am

All in all this is exactly the type of season I wanted as a Sens fan. In a nut shell - meaningful games in March and April (done), development of the youth (done), a strong transition from the old guard to the new team (done), and a clear direction along with a clear core coming to the forefront (done).

Hammond was unexpected but w/e, loving that as well.

The question going into next year playoffs or not is what type of player is going to make this team a true contender? Is it a PF like Kassian? Is it an all around guy like ROR? Or is it a pure goal scorer like Hall? Tough to say.

The one thing I wouldn't touch is the blueline in terms of bringing in a legit top 4 guy, I think they have 4 of them now. Getting a puck mover to play with Boroweicki though...? That's an issue I believe.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:34 am

tim1_2 wrote:Hoffman was the reason they got their 4 on 4 goal in regulation. Guy is a bit of a mess in his own end.

Hammond was ridiculous, and gave us every opportunity to win. At this point he has to be one of our goalies next year. Maybe the magic will have worn off, but you can't not try at this point.

You can't really complain about anything from this game...we lost in the dumb shootout. I dunno why most of our shooters tried to go low/deke when Bernier is known to be weaker up high.

Let's just beat Pittsburgh.

I'll say this about Hoffman as well, he has the diva aura around him as well, IMO. A guy that has a lot of flash and believes that's how the game should be player... Spezza-esque.

You are right though, beat Pitt on Tuesday and see where the chips fall after that.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16331
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Post by tim1_2 on Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:46 am

NEELY wrote: Getting a puck mover to play with Boroweicki though...? That's an issue I believe.

Wideman.

And I agree with the rest of what you wrote. This is pretty much where we all thought we'd be at this point...battling for a playoff spot. We took a weird route to get here though.

Mark Stone should be rookie of the year if he finishes strong.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:50 am

Stone should be ROTY if they make the playoffs, Karlsson should win the Norris, and Cameron should be nominated for the JA. If they don't make the playoffs I don't think any of them should be on the ballet.

I agree with Wideman being that guy to play on the 3rd pairing, he's ready for a shot and worst case if he doesn't work out next year you have the depth in the organization where someone else can play or you use an asset to get a puck mover mid-season. Wideman deserves to show he can't play in the NHL because he's shown he does deserve a shot.

It sucks this could be a very long summer without the playoffs though.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20866
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:01 am

Wikstrand will be our 3rd pairing puck mover by the end of next season
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:08 am

NEELY wrote:Stone should be ROTY if they make the playoffs, Karlsson should win the Norris, and Cameron should be nominated for the JA. If they don't make the playoffs I don't think any of them should be on the ballet.

I agree with Wideman being that guy to play on the 3rd pairing, he's ready for a shot and worst case if he doesn't work out next year you have the depth in the organization where someone else can play or you use an asset to get a puck mover mid-season. Wideman deserves to show he can't play in the NHL because he's shown he does deserve a shot.

It sucks this could be a very long summer without the playoffs though.

Playoffs shouldn't matter for rookie of the year. If stone finishes 1st in scoring he deserves it.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:22 am

Ev wrote:Wikstrand will be our 3rd pairing puck mover by the end of next season

So are you saying Wideman doesn't get a chance?
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:30 am

NEELY wrote:
    Ev wrote:Wikstrand will be our 3rd pairing puck mover by the end of next season

So are you saying Wideman doesn't get a chance?

I think he will. We will have to see who is still left in September though
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13128
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:35 am

I can agree with most f what's said but I wonder if moving hoffman is a good move. I would wait till after arbitration personally. If you are not satisfied with what happened you move him in a right deal. He's been nothing but cooperative in the past, he's ideal for a very productive 3rd line centred by Lazar eventually and can easily jump into the top 6 if need be. Chiasson is the piece that might get moved in a package if you ask me.

As for Hammond a 1 year one way deal will be enough to retain him and see if lightning strikes twice.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:36 am

Yah, lots of things can happen between June and Sept as well so if Wikstrand somehow makes the team or a guy like Wideman just doesn't have it, then maybe sure. I think they give Wistrand the year in Bingo and maybe even a little more just to get used to get used to NA ice because the difference is enormous which I don't think you are giving enough credit to.

On a separate note like Tim said earlier, Hoffman on that 4 on 4 goal is really concerning. He's a guy looking to get off the 4th line and he's playing that soft on top of a month of hockey that just hasn't been good for him. He's 100% the player they should be selling high on, at worst signing to a 2 year deal worth around 2.5-3 mil. Wouldn't give him a cent over that. He's an extremely concerning player to me just because of the way he plays and seeing what Ottawa has had in the past.

I really hope he and Cowen are enough of a base to get a guy like ROR or Kassian out of their current organizations. Hall is still a dream at best but you never know, Ottawa has a lot of what Edmonton needs.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13128
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:36 am

Come draft Chiasson and our two 2nd rounders might be out in a trade with prince. Pumpel takes his place on the team.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:42 am

Flo The Action wrote:I can agree with most f what's said but I wonder if moving hoffman is a good move. I would wait till after arbitration personally. If you are not satisfied with what happened you move him in a right deal. He's been nothing but cooperative in the past, he's ideal for a very productive 3rd line centred by Lazar eventually and can easily jump into the top 6 if need be. Chiasson is the piece that might get moved in a package if you ask me.

As for Hammond a 1 year one way deal will be enough to retain him and see if lightning strikes twice.

The 3rd line needs to be solid all 200 feet, Hoffman isn't. Hoffman isn't a player I like for this team going forward simply because there are 11 other guys pulling one way and Hoffman is pulling the other in terms of how they play the game up front. I said the same things about Spezza and the team has turned it around in part because Spezza isn't in Ottawa. I feel the same about Hoffman, a lot of flash but very little substance.

The Sens need another forward and again I will use ROR as the example because he's actually obtainable. I'll take around the same production (which is what guys are paid on) with ROR vs Hoffman and take the ability to play 200 feet and play center and wing equally effectively if not close to.

If you can package a 2016 1st, Cowen, Hoffman, and maybe a prospect like Price for a guy like ROR you just do it. The Sens don't need a 2016 1st rounder if they are picking in the top 15 in this draft along with Nick Paul, they have enough guys that can come in and play important roles right away.

At the end of the day Hoffman is fairly replaceable, they have been winning a lot of games (most) without him scoring and that's because the other 11 guys are playing the right way.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:44 am

Flo The Action wrote:Come draft Chiasson and our two 2nd rounders might be out in a trade with prince. Pumpel takes his place on the team.

I don't think they give up on a PF like Chaisson who is coming along without a better option in the lineup. I've been happy with Chaisson for the most part, he's been playing hard and going to the net, he will get more comfortable and he grows into his role.

I would trade him in a package for a guy like Kassian though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:02 am