Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 16498
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Post by tim1_2 on Mon May 11, 2015 2:53 pm

We do have two second lines, which wouldn't be a problem if our third line was scoring, but that didn't happen much this year...if we could have three second lines, that'd be fine.

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54631
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Mon May 11, 2015 2:58 pm

wprager wrote:We've had CMac here two seasons.  Season one he was the best UFA signing (value) any of us could remember.  If you recall, this past season he struggled.  According to this an average 2nd line winger scores 17 goals and 37 points, which is roughly what MacArthur scored this past season, although in just 62 games.  He also dropped off from +12 to -6, while the Sens, as a team, improved their goal differential by over 50.  Last season he scored almost at the level of the average 1st line winger.  

So, ok, while it looks like he's top-six in production, it's not clear if he's top-line (likely best suited to 2nd line).  But this assumes that he rebounds.

While I agree in theory, there's more to it than that this time around. MacArthur and Turris jave always been good together.  The first year he was here, he had solid numbers in 24 goals, 55 points, this past season he dipped because Turris and he both got stone cold at the same time and because he struggled for ~5 games coming back from the concussion.  Fair enough, but the real factor to consider, IMO, is not there are 3 members of that line - all of whom can help prop the others up.  Stone being cemented there (or one would think) will help get full value out of Turris and MacArthur production-wise.

Also, when doing any kind of looking back on stats, remember that now we have a real 3rd line. Even if we lose Condra, which I still maintain is a mistake, we have Pageau who is ready to bust out offensively, Lazar who will have a lot more confidence coming in and one of Michalek/Puempel, Prince or even a new addition via trade or free agency.

The addition of Pageau full time changes the lineup in a huge way.  It also allows Cameron to play Smith at C on line 4 full time, instead of masquerading him as a winger, top 6 or a 3rd line C.

This next year, I think this team takes a big step forward - and I wouldn't put it past them to have 7 forwards that hit 20 goals along with Karlsson.  That's not that big a stretch IMO with Zibanejad getting more and more confidence, Turris, Stone, MacArthur, Ryan getting back into shape and having a big year, Hoffman at least using that speed and shot to pot 20 and the wildcard, which would be one of the third liners.  My money's on Pageau.

EDIT: A lot of Sens fans seem to HATE Michalek, but he did very well once he hit his stride, so that's another goal scoring threat.

SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 24783
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon May 11, 2015 3:17 pm

Assuming we see the same faces next season, I think there will be a lot of shuffling in "Middle-6" until a line is found that can match the production of the Turris line.

Having said that, I find it pretty useless to pencil guys in to different situations without knowing what happens with certain guys in the fairly near future. These are discussions that will have to wait til after the Draft and even free-agency.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Favorite Team : Ottawa

Post by tim1_2 on Mon May 11, 2015 3:23 pm

SeawaySensFan wrote:Assuming we see the same faces next season, I think there will be a lot of shuffling in "Middle-6" until a line is found that can match the production of the Turris line.

Having said that, I find it pretty useless to pencil guys in to different situations without knowing what happens with certain guys in the fairly near future. These are discussions that will have to wait til after the Draft and even free-agency.

Pretty much. If we can turn one of our goalies into a top 6 forward, this changes things dramatically. I would more expect us to remain relatively static with what we have, and get either picks and/or prospects for a goalie. If we go into next season with a lineup that pretty much mirrors what we ended the season with, I think it's fair to assume that we'll be playoff bound.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Mon May 11, 2015 3:31 pm

tim1_2 wrote:
    SeawaySensFan wrote:Assuming we see the same faces next season, I think there will be a lot of shuffling in "Middle-6" until a line is found that can match the production of the Turris line.

Pretty much.  If we can turn one of our goalies into a top 6 forward, this changes things dramatically.  I would more expect us to remain relatively static with what we have, and get either picks and/or prospects for a goalie.  If we go into next season with a lineup that pretty much mirrors what we ended the season with, I think it's fair to assume that we'll be playoff bound.

I think so no matter what, but we really need to take a long, hard look at the defence. One more guy like J-Bo or Sekera or Petry would go so far.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Mon May 11, 2015 3:37 pm

Unfortunately I think we're going to stand-pat with our defence, especially if we resign Wideman...and we still have Claesson. Murray said his dream is to add a top 6 forward, and said nothing about adding defencemen.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Mon May 11, 2015 3:41 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Unfortunately I think we're going to stand-pat with our defence, especially if we resign Wideman...and we still have Claesson.  Murray said his dream is to add a top 6 forward, and said nothing about adding defencemen.

Meh, if that's the way we go, so be it. Another weapon up front would be disgusting - unless he moves out Hoffman or someone like that.

I really, strongly think it's a D man that'll complete this lineup, then perhaps a midseason acquisition at forward if need be, but I'd rather see Puempel get a shot than spending too much on a F.
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by tim1_2 on Mon May 11, 2015 3:43 pm

A quality forward acquisition would fast-track some success, but yeah, I think a legit upgrade on defence is what's really needed. I mean, look at the Rangers...Dan Boyle/Keith Yandle is like their 3rd pairing!
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon May 11, 2015 4:00 pm

A few tweets from different accounts announcing that Randy Lee will be on TSN1200 like it's a big deal or something. What's he gonna talk about? His new whistle and stopwatch? Bahahahahahahahaha!
    Cap'n Clutch
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 13624

Post by Cap'n Clutch on Mon May 11, 2015 4:07 pm

How well conditioned the management are now with his recently implemented exercise program?

- Unknown Author
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by SeawaySensFan on Mon May 11, 2015 4:22 pm

Cap'n Clutch wrote:How well conditioned the management are now with his recently implemented exercise program?

Next order of business:

New Dress Code

Track suits, track suits and more track suits.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Mon May 11, 2015 4:59 pm

tim1_2 wrote:Fortunately I think we're going to stand-pat with our defence, especially if we resign Wideman...and we still have Claesson.  Murray said his dream is to add a top 6 forward, and said nothing about adding defencemen.

FYP.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Mon May 11, 2015 5:02 pm

NEELY wrote:
    tim1_2 wrote:Fortunately I think we're going to stand-pat with our defence, especially if we resign Wideman...and we still have Claesson.  Murray said his dream is to add a top 6 forward, and said nothing about adding defencemen.

FYP.

I don't see why you would say that. Sticking to the defence we have right now could work, but adding someone like Sekera or Petry or Martin or acquiring someone like J-Bo or one of LAs plethora of D-men like Martinez would really go along way in solidifying this core group and allowing both Wiercioch and Ceci to continue to develop with experienced partners.

Nothing bad could happen if we relegate Gryba to the #7 D-man status and upgrade our current 6 based on that assumption.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Mon May 11, 2015 5:14 pm

Because I like the way the defense is built and truth be told if Wideman wasn't pushing the door down right now I would be all in favour of Cowen being the #7 guy and hopefully salvaging what's left of his career, maybe turning it around in Ottawa. I don't believe that to be the case though.

If they moved Gryba out for Wideman and kept Cowen, that's something that could work. If they move both Cowen and Gryba out and replace them with Wideman and as you say a guy like Sekera, sure that makes the Sens a better team. All that said I love the way the blueline has been built and I hope there are no major overhauls.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Mon May 11, 2015 5:25 pm

NEELY wrote:Because I like the way the defense is built and truth be told if Wideman wasn't pushing the door down right now I would be all in favour of Cowen being the #7 guy and hopefully salvaging what's left of his career, maybe turning it around in Ottawa.  I don't believe that to be the case though.

If they moved Gryba out for Wideman and kept Cowen, that's something that could work.  If they move both Cowen and Gryba out and replace them with Wideman and as you say a guy like Sekera, sure that makes the Sens a better team.   All that said I love the way the blueline has been built and I hope there are no major overhauls.

You really don't have to worry about Wideman, I don't see any reason in the world he'd stay with us as a UFA. I'd explore every option in the book before I signed with a team that never gave me 1 game of a chance. And I'm not dissing the Sens way of handling the situation, we went on a roll of all rolls, he wasn't getting in, but as a UFA, would you be in a hurry to sign here, knowing fairly well that there's a big lineup of guys in front of you?

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Mon May 11, 2015 5:37 pm

The thing with Wideman is no one is going to give him a 1 way deal, no one. He doesn't have an NHL game under his belt but I could see him going over to Europe ASAP and maybe waiting a year for a spot to open somewhere. I don't think the Sens let him go though and they will find a way to get a good player into the lineup.

Either way if they don't make a move on the blueline they will be fine. It's coming into it's own and guys are improving every single game... biggest being big old PW, the guy that no one believed could be where he is right now... well except for one guy.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Mon May 11, 2015 5:54 pm

Yeah, I thought of that as well, but there's no allegiance to our organization I wouldn't imagine. He could be whispered sweet nothings about he and Gryba rotating in and out of the lineup, but he might be looking up and down depth charts or at European teams as you said.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 21017
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Mon May 11, 2015 5:54 pm

PW is nowhere right now. He has to show his worth playing night in night out. He could still lose his job easily

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:47 pm