Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Share

    DirtyDave
    Rookie
    Rookie

    Number of posts : 274
    Registration date : 2011-06-23

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by DirtyDave on Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:23 am

    @Senators: BREAKING: National Hockey League arbitrator has awarded #Sens forward Alex Chiasson a one-year contract at $1.2 million.

    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47960
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by wprager on Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:09 am

    wprager wrote:Thank god for that, then.  $1.2M.  Git'r done!  3 hours late already.

    Guess I could have saved us all a little time and coffee.

    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47960
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by wprager on Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:14 am

    Now, Hoffman. With this guy there's actually a chance he could get awarded a large enough amount that the Sens could walk away. Although if it's the same arbitrator then Hoffman is probably not getting more than $3M. And, honestly, I'm OK with that. One year, prove that wasn't a fluke (which it was, to a certain extent).

    NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 20732
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by NEELY on Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:08 am

    1.2 for Chaisson is pretty much what everyone had his value pegged as. At that price it might be worth it to keep him around but being signed to that 1.2 mil deal will also make it easy to move him. IMO that's a player that clearly hasn't gotten it yet because of this arb case... he doesn't believe he is only what he's proven to this point and that's a border line NHLer fighting for time on the 4th line.

    To me, you try and get a 2nd or 3rd for him and just move on. The Sens clearly don't view him with any real value, Chaisson thinks he's better than he is, and there are better players being developed by the organization that deserves a shot.

    I look at a guy like Robinson, is he really that much of a worse option than Chaisson? Probably not. He was also signed and developed by the organization to this point and like we saw last year, they players that were drafted and signed as prospects by the Sens were the ones that carried the team. Karlsson, Stone, Hammond... Turris also did and he was very much developed by the Sens as well.

    Just move Chaisson, the prize from the Spezza deal is Paul and you hope Gagne develops and works out as that 2nd rounder. Chaisson and Guptil aren't going to change the look of the team, just move on from them.
    avatar
    tim1_2
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 16331
    Age : 35
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-01-07

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by tim1_2 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:32 am

    wprager wrote:Now, Hoffman. With this guy there's actually a chance he could get awarded a large enough amount that the Sens could walk away.  Although if it's the same arbitrator then Hoffman is probably not getting more than $3M.  And, honestly, I'm OK with that.  One year, prove that wasn't a fluke (which it was, to a certain extent).

    There's no chance Hoffman gets awarded so much that Ottawa walks away. He'll likely get between $3M and $4M if it gets to arbitration, which hopefully itt won't.

    NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 20732
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by NEELY on Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:35 am

    I don't even think it gets to arbitration with Hoffman, I think he signs a 3 year deal at 3 mil per and the two sides move on before it gets messy.
    avatar
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 20866
    Age : 26
    Location : We The North
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Ev on Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:20 am

    NEELY wrote:I don't even think it gets to arbitration with Hoffman, I think he signs a 3 year deal at 3 mil per and the two sides move on before it gets messy.

    Nah, he's getting one year for sure.

    As for Chiasson I wouldn't move him. I wanna see him this year. Cheap salary and could easily be a good fourth liner.
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24766
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:42 am

    tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:Now, Hoffman. With this guy there's actually a chance he could get awarded a large enough amount that the Sens could walk away.  Although if it's the same arbitrator then Hoffman is probably not getting more than $3M.  And, honestly, I'm OK with that.  One year, prove that wasn't a fluke (which it was, to a certain extent).

    There's no chance Hoffman gets awarded so much that Ottawa walks away. He'll likely get between $3M and $4M if it gets to arbitration, which hopefully itt won't.

    They might have to walk away from Chiasson's 1.2 to make it fit due to, er, smart spending. We can't start spending like drunken sailors.
    avatar
    SeawaySensFan
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 24766
    Age : 45
    Location : Cornwall, ON
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-02

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by SeawaySensFan on Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:45 am

    If The Chiasser can even play, let's say, 50 games like he did his firt 10 last season, he will set himself up for a huge payday.
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47960
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by wprager on Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:48 am

    NEELY wrote:1.2 for Chaisson is pretty much what everyone had his value pegged as.  At that price it might be worth it to keep him around but being signed to that 1.2 mil deal will also make it easy to move him.  IMO that's a player that clearly hasn't gotten it yet because of this arb case... he doesn't believe he is only what he's proven to this point and that's a border line NHLer fighting for time on the 4th line.

    To me, you try and get a 2nd or 3rd for him and just move on.  The Sens clearly don't view him with any real value, Chaisson thinks he's better than he is, and there are better players being developed by the organization that deserves a shot.

    I look at a guy like Robinson, is he really that much of a worse option than Chaisson?  Probably not.  He was also signed and developed by the organization to this point and like we saw last year, they players that were drafted and signed as prospects by the Sens were the ones that carried the team.  Karlsson, Stone, Hammond... Turris also did and he was very much developed by the Sens as well.

    Just move Chaisson, the prize from the Spezza deal is Paul and you hope Gagne develops and works out as that 2nd rounder.  Chaisson and Guptil aren't going to change the look of the team, just move on from them.

    But can they trade him? I used to think they could walk away from him since it was the player who filed for arbitration, but that wasn't the case. I also thought that they couldn't trade a player if the team filed for arbitration, but could if it was the player who filed. Now I'm not at all clear of the rules.

    I like Buddy, I really do. But Chiasson scored 6 goals in his first 7 games. He's shown an ability to score goals in this league whereas Buddy hasn't really done much scoring even at the AHL level.

    As for Chiasson thinking he's better than he is, don't you think getting less than half what you were asking for will reset that a bit? He has to work his Donkey off this year or not only is he not getting $2.475M next season, but he's probably not getting paid in US currency.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47960
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by wprager on Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:49 am

    tim1_2 wrote:
    wprager wrote:Now, Hoffman. With this guy there's actually a chance he could get awarded a large enough amount that the Sens could walk away.  Although if it's the same arbitrator then Hoffman is probably not getting more than $3M.  And, honestly, I'm OK with that.  One year, prove that wasn't a fluke (which it was, to a certain extent).

    There's no chance Hoffman gets awarded so much that Ottawa walks away. He'll likely get between $3M and $4M if it gets to arbitration, which hopefully itt won't.

    I don't disagree, but if Chiasson filed at $2.475 then Hoffman will file around $4M. So there is a chance. But, yeah, no chance.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47960
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by wprager on Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:51 am

    Everyone is saying Hoffman's case goes to arbitration. Especially now with how Chiasson's went the team probably thinks they'll get a better deal from arbitration than trying to negotiate with the agent.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47960
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by wprager on Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:03 am

    Hoffman's asking $3.8M, Sens coming in at $2M.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox
    avatar
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

    Number of posts : 20866
    Age : 26
    Location : We The North
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Ev on Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:04 am

    wprager wrote:Hoffman's asking $3.8M, Sens coming in at $2M.

    False. There are no reported numbers.
    avatar
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

    Number of posts : 54432
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by PTFlea on Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:06 am

    1.2 sounds about right.
    avatar
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

    Number of posts : 13128
    Age : 41
    Location : montreal
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Flo The Action on Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:09 am

    It's good to see that arbitration isn't over inflating contracts as well. You might see a few more contracts head that way now.

    NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

    Number of posts : 20732
    Age : 34
    Location : Ottawa
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by NEELY on Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:36 am

    wprager wrote:Hoffman's asking $3.8M, Sens coming in at $2M.

    We'll assume this is the right info, it's pretty clear that Hoffman is going to sign for around 3 mil either on a 1 or 3 year deal. 2 years makes no sense for the Sens.

    avatar
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Number of posts : 47960
    Age : 56
    Location : Kanata
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by wprager on Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:44 am

    Simpson tweeted that.


    _________________
    Hey, I don't have all the answers. In life, to be honest, I've failed as much as I have succeeded. But I love my wife. I love my life. And I wish you my kind of success.
    - Dicky Fox

    Sponsored content

    Re: Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:15 am