VOTE - Ottawa Senators Top Prospects: #1 (2015)

Poll

Who is Ottawa's female parental unit diddling top prospect (under 25 NHL GP)?

[ 1 ]
    9% [9%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 3 ]
    27% [27%] 
    [ 7 ]
    64% [64%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 

Total Votes: 11

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Number of posts : 48298
    Registration date : 2008-08-05

Re: VOTE - Ottawa Senators Top Prospects: #1 (2015)

Post by wprager on Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:55 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Paul, Puempel and Prince are our three most NHL ready prospects. That is undisputable.

Define "NHL ready". Puempel has shown what he can do at the NHL level in the heat of a playoff race. Too bad he got injured because he was playing pretty well, IMO. Prince payed well, too but what about when the adrenaline of playing in your first NHL game wears off? I don't know if he's any more ready than, say, Claesson, because Claesson's role would be as a stay-at-home 3rd pairing defenseman. Paul hasn't played a minute of pro. No idea how "NHL ready" he is, regardless of definition.

spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10071
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:59 pm

DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Paul, Puempel and Prince are our three most NHL ready prospects. That is undisputable.

One of them is disputable. When you haven't played a single pro-game (and aren't named McDavid), your NHL readiness is up for debate.

I agree that Prince and Pumps are the closest though.

wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:59 pm

Ev wrote:
    wprager wrote:You sound surprised.

very. Don't see any scenario where he should be over Puempel at the moment. And I would put White and Chabot over him personally.

Puempel has shown that he could probably step in and replace Condra's lost production. Paul has higher upside. I can easily see how someone would rank him above Puempel in this poll.

As for Paul vs. your boy Colin White, don't forget that this is the guy Murray insisted on when trading Spezza. And since then he had a great season in the OHL and was asked to play at the WJC. I'd say he's ranked higher than White and Chabot, for sure.
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 8461
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Post by Hoff-Machine on Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:07 pm

My reasoning is the nick Paul seemingly has the most buzz around him as far as sens prospects go and with good reason. Pierre Dorion raved about him and McCormick more Than any other prospect at the dev camp. Furthermore, his stock has risen a lot since he got traded. He started turning heads at the world jr camp as well. Quite simply he's rising fast and he's gonna be in the ahl challenging for a call up which means he's not too far either. He's my vote for sure.

Puemps would be second just cuz he's been around for so long and honestly is starting to feel less like a prospect and more like a project (in a good way). He hasn't taken anyone by storm but his confidence is finally starting kick in and he's taking charge .

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:49 pm

Ev wrote:

very. Don't see any scenario where he should be over Puempel at the moment. And I would put White and Chabot over him personally.

There's the problem, you give Paul very little credit. I on the other hand think he's a potential top 6 forward and worst case he's going to be a very solid 3rd line center. To me the fact there is little bust potential is big rating prospects. I also think his size could be a big factor as well.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:51 pm

Wikstrand isn't far off by all accounts.

McCormick should be getting a little more love as a prospect as well but he's a 4th line NHLer through and through. Not sexy but important.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 21010
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:56 pm

NEELY wrote:
    Ev wrote:

There's the problem, you give Paul very little credit.  I on the other hand think he's a potential top 6 forward and worst case he's going to be a very solid 3rd line center.  To me the fact there is little bust potential is big rating prospects.  I also think his size could be a big factor as well.

I'm not not giving him credit. He's one of my favorite prospects. I just think he is for sure under Puempel at this point due to offensive upside.

Nick Paul will make the NHL but at this point his upside is in the air. I think he will be like Sean couturier.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:59 pm

wprager wrote:
    Ev wrote:

Puempel has shown that he could probably step in and replace Condra's lost production.  Paul has higher upside.  I can easily see how someone would rank him above Puempel in this poll.

As for Paul vs. your boy Colin White, don't forget that this is the guy Murray insisted on when trading Spezza.  And since then he had a great season in the OHL and was asked to play at the WJC.  I'd say he's ranked higher than White and Chabot, for sure.  

Paul does nto have higher upside than Puempel, offensively. Peumepel is a pure goal scorer with a much better shot and is a better skater right now.

Murray wants Puempel in the NHL badly. That's how much they like him. To me the results of this poll are all about the shiny new toy syndrome. Puempel has paid his dues, developed, and has proven he can play in the NHL unlike any guy on this list.

You saying he insisted on Paul in the trade is news to me and probably made up on your part. The scouts would be the ones who ask for players . Murray probably had no idea who he was lol.

As for white. Continue to underrate him. I would wager he would be above Pail I'd the org was polled today but its irrelevant, I think both will make it and be third liners at the worst
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:06 pm

Michallica wrote:My reasoning is the nick Paul seemingly has the most buzz around him as far as sens prospects go and with good reason. Pierre Dorion raved about him and McCormick more Than any other prospect at the dev camp. Furthermore, his stock has risen a lot since he got traded. He started turning heads at the world jr camp as well. Quite simply he's rising fast and he's gonna be in the ahl challenging for a call up which means he's not too far either. He's my vote for sure.

Puemps would be second just cuz he's been around for so long and honestly is starting to feel less like a prospect and more like a project (in a good way). He hasn't taken anyone by storm but his confidence is finally starting kick in and he's taking charge .

Puemeple was on another level than the other forwards at camp but did not play in the  scrimmages. He has less hype because he's been around for a while but he's done everything asked and is the closest NHL player with the highest offensive upside among our prospects IMO
    wprager
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by wprager on Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:23 pm

First, regarding them specifically asking for Paul, I didn't make it up, I read it. Somewhere. Possibly even here.

Regarding White, I am not under-valuing him; I'm simply waiting to see how he does at the pro level, playing 80 games per season.

As for Paul vs. Puempel, you have to keep in mind that Paul is a very late bloomer w.r.t. his size. It is very difficult to adjust to an extra half a foot in height and probably an extra 40 lbs in weight. However as an 18 year old (a later 18 year old) he starting putting up points at a higher than PPG pace in the OHL. He's late, yes, but there is a reason, and the trajectory is pretty good.

He is also said to have above average IQ, and not the best skater. Sound like someone else we know. His skating is likely a product of his rapid, late growth, and he will continue to improve.

I like Puempel a lot, but I still see hm as a pretty decent 3rd liner, whereas Paul has the size that could help him get into the top-six and also get PP time.

Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:27 pm

wprager wrote:First, regarding them specifically asking for Paul, I didn't make it up, I read it.  Somewhere.  Possibly even here.

Regarding White, I am not under-valuing him; I'm simply waiting to see how he does at the pro level, playing 80 games per season.  

As for Paul vs. Puempel, you have to keep in mind that Paul is a very late bloomer w.r.t. his size.  It is very difficult to adjust to an extra half a foot in height and probably an extra 40 lbs in weight.  However as an 18 year old (a later 18 year old) he starting putting up points at a higher than PPG pace in the OHL.  He's late, yes, but there is a reason, and the trajectory is pretty good.

He is also said to have above average IQ, and not the best skater.  Sound like someone else we know.  His skating is likely a product of his rapid, late growth, and he will continue to improve.  

I like Puempel a lot, but I still see hm as a pretty decent 3rd liner, whereas Paul has the size that could help him get into the top-six and also get PP time.

Puempel has size. His upside is not a third liner. He is a goal scorer and was drafted to score goals. Saying all he will do is replace Condra is pretty funny. Puempel has developed his game and is now an all around winger with edge and offense

As for white and waiting for him to play 80 games at the pro level...apparently you're not doing the same for Paul. Pretty hypocritical.

Anyways I think people are wrong here but not much I can do about that.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:15 pm

Ev wrote:
    NEELY wrote:
    Ev wrote:

There's the problem, you give Paul very little credit.  I on the other hand think he's a potential top 6 forward and worst case he's going to be a very solid 3rd line center.  To me the fact there is little bust potential is big rating prospects.  I also think his size could be a big factor as well.

I'm not not giving him credit. He's one of my favorite prospects. I just think he is for sure under Puempel at this point due to offensive upside.

Nick Paul will make the NHL but at this point his upside is in the air. I think he will be like Sean couturier.

Is he even defined yet? I feel like he's still figuring it out.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Post by spader on Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:19 pm

FWIW I can remember a conversation on here about Paul being the centrepiece in the return.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:41 pm

Ev wrote:
    NEELY wrote:
    Ev wrote:

I'll take a Courturier over a Peumpel too. This isn't to say I dislike Puempel, though but I value players who are well rounded and can grow into an offensive role.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Post by NEELY on Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:44 pm

I do like the Paul/Couturier comparison though.

I do think Paul has some offensive upside and a lot of it, not to the same extent as Puempel pretty close, probably more of a play maker than Puempel and in all honesty he could be Puempel's center for a long time if things go well.
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:10 pm

wprager wrote:
    Ev wrote:

Puempel has shown that he could probably step in and replace Condra's lost production.  Paul has higher upside.  I can easily see how someone would rank him above Puempel in this poll.

As for Paul vs. your boy Colin White, don't forget that this is the guy Murray insisted on when trading Spezza.  And since then he had a great season in the OHL and was asked to play at the WJC.  I'd say he's ranked higher than White and Chabot, for sure.  

Very debatable.

At the same age, Puempel had 35 goals in 51 games, Paul had 37 in 58.
    Just by viewing I would say Puempel's offensive hockey sense is way higher.
    I think Puempel will have a monster rookie season in Ottawa. But it will depend on Hoffman's contract.

Also Chabot's scouting reports suggests he's a future top pairing Defenseman. That has way more value than a top 6 forward.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54629
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:14 am

Someday we'll see a Paul, white, Lazar line I think. So much to like with these type of players and so much safer than some other prospects.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13344
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:49 am

LeCaptain wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Ev wrote:

Very debatable.

At the same age, Puempel had 35 goals in 51 games, Paul had 37 in 58.
    Just by viewing I would say Puempel's offensive hockey sense is way higher.
    I think Puempel will have a monster rookie season in Ottawa. But it will depend on Hoffman's contract.

Also Chabot's scouting reports suggests he's a future top pairing Defenseman. That has way more value than a top 6 forward.

That's one report. I've also seen report where he is top 4. It's hard to really know what he will become. Especially thatDman take a little younger and it's been said that he still has a lot of development to do.
    So no, I would not go outright and say he's a top pairing Dman just yet.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:47 pm