VOTE - Ottawa Senators Top Prospects: #1 (2015)

Poll

Who is Ottawa's female parental unit diddling top prospect (under 25 NHL GP)?

[ 1 ]
    9% [9%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 3 ]
    27% [27%] 
    [ 7 ]
    64% [64%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 

Total Votes: 11

LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Re: VOTE - Ottawa Senators Top Prospects: #1 (2015)

Post by LeCaptain on Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:10 pm

wprager wrote:
    Ev wrote:
    wprager wrote:You sound surprised.

very. Don't see any scenario where he should be over Puempel at the moment. And I would put White and Chabot over him personally.

Puempel has shown that he could probably step in and replace Condra's lost production.  Paul has higher upside.  I can easily see how someone would rank him above Puempel in this poll.

As for Paul vs. your boy Colin White, don't forget that this is the guy Murray insisted on when trading Spezza.  And since then he had a great season in the OHL and was asked to play at the WJC.  I'd say he's ranked higher than White and Chabot, for sure.  

Very debatable.

At the same age, Puempel had 35 goals in 51 games, Paul had 37 in 58.
    Just by viewing I would say Puempel's offensive hockey sense is way higher.
    I think Puempel will have a monster rookie season in Ottawa. But it will depend on Hoffman's contract.

Also Chabot's scouting reports suggests he's a future top pairing Defenseman. That has way more value than a top 6 forward.

PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Number of posts : 54417
    Registration date : 2008-07-31

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:14 am

Someday we'll see a Paul, white, Lazar line I think. So much to like with these type of players and so much safer than some other prospects.

Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13116
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:49 am

LeCaptain wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Ev wrote:

very. Don't see any scenario where he should be over Puempel at the moment. And I would put White and Chabot over him personally.

Puempel has shown that he could probably step in and replace Condra's lost production.  Paul has higher upside.  I can easily see how someone would rank him above Puempel in this poll.

As for Paul vs. your boy Colin White, don't forget that this is the guy Murray insisted on when trading Spezza.  And since then he had a great season in the OHL and was asked to play at the WJC.  I'd say he's ranked higher than White and Chabot, for sure.  

Very debatable.

I think Puempel will have a monster rookie season in Ottawa. But it will depend on Hoffman's contract.

Also Chabot's scouting reports suggests he's a future top pairing Defenseman. That has way more value than a top 6 forward.

That's one report. I've also seen report where he is top 4. It's hard to really know what he will become. Especially thatDman take a little younger and it's been said that he still has a lot of development to do.
    So no, I would not go outright and say he's a top pairing Dman just yet.
    Hoff-Machine
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 8461
    Favorite Team : Ottawa
    Registration date : 2009-06-22

Post by Hoff-Machine on Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:04 am

It wasn't said by anyone but Jim nill who said the sens knew exactly who they wanted from the stars for spezza. He claimed they did their homework. Seeing as guptill isnt going To amount to much and the 2nd rounder hadn't been drafted, one would believe the sens were targeting nick Paul as the main piece to get in return
    LeCaptain
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 12030
    Registration date : 2008-12-01

Post by LeCaptain on Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:35 am

Flo The Action wrote:
    LeCaptain wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Ev wrote:

Very debatable.

That's one report. I've also seen report where he is top 4. It's hard to really know what he will become. Especially thatDman take a little younger and it's been said that he still has a lot of development to do.

I was making comparaisons on their projections. Chabot is not a top pairing D, Nick Paul is not a top 6 forward.

Also:
    http://www.tsn.ca/thomas-chabot-defence-1.293900
    Projection: Number 2 two way defenseman

http://starsandsticks.com/2015/05/30/2015-nhl-draft-profile-thomas-chabot/
    Ceiling: Top pairing defenseman

http://prospects.dobbersports.com/Ottawa-Senators-Top-Prospects/thomas-chabot
    Projects at 2/3 defenseman

I think there are enough reports out there to suggest he can be at least a number 2.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:53 am

I'd never question our scouting staff, but I have to admit Chabot was a real shocker to me when we picked him. Again, not questioning their decisions obviously, just thought there might have been different guys they were looking at.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Number of posts : 20860
    Registration date : 2010-02-09

Post by Ev on Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:00 pm

SpezDispensed wrote:I'd never question our scouting staff, but I have to admit Chabot was a real shocker to me when we picked him.  Again, not questioning their decisions obviously, just thought there might have been different guys they were looking at.

Are you questioning the decisions of the scouting staff?
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:11 pm

Ev wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:I'd never question our scouting staff, but I have to admit Chabot was a real shocker to me when we picked him.  Again, not questioning their decisions obviously, just thought there might have been different guys they were looking at.

We'll see in a few years I guess.
    Flo The Action
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 13116
    Registration date : 2008-12-18

Post by Flo The Action on Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:20 pm

SpezDispensed wrote:
    Ev wrote:

Actually I didn't question the pick of Chabot as he was one of the best D-man available (even though I question his capability of being a top 2 guy) I was more surprised by the white pick. There were better forwards available at that pick. But I'm not an expert so. Will defer to the scouting staff. They must see that they can turn him into something better than an effective 3rd liner.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:40 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    Ev wrote:

Actually I didn't question the pick of Chabot as he was one of the best D-man available (even though I question his capability of being a top 2 guy) I was more surprised by the white pick. There were better forwards available at that pick. But I'm not an expert so. Will defer to the scouting staff. They must see that they can turn him into something better than an effective 3rd liner.

Source?

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:45 pm

LeCaptain wrote:
    Flo The Action wrote:
    LeCaptain wrote:
    wprager wrote:
    Ev wrote:

Very debatable.

I was making comparaisons on their projections. Chabot is not a top pairing D, Nick Paul is not a top 6 forward.

Also:
    http://www.tsn.ca/thomas-chabot-defence-1.293900
    Projection: Number 2 two way defenseman

http://starsandsticks.com/2015/05/30/2015-nhl-draft-profile-thomas-chabot/
    Ceiling: Top pairing defenseman

http://prospects.dobbersports.com/Ottawa-Senators-Top-Prospects/thomas-chabot
    Projects at 2/3 defenseman

I think there are enough reports out there to suggest he can be at least a number 2.

I disagree about Paul not having the ability to become a top 6 forward. The offense is there and it's not like he had a bunch of stars around him in North Bay either, he carried that team.

NEELY
    Mod
    Mod

Number of posts : 20732
    Registration date : 2011-02-24

Post by NEELY on Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:47 pm

Flo The Action wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:
    Ev wrote:

Better is a very relative term. Higher potential? Maybe. Sure fire NHLers? Nope, not one.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:03 pm

Yeah, White was one of the safest picks there. Flashy? Not really, but a guy you win with, I loved that pick personally.
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:13 pm

SpezDispensed wrote:Yeah, White was one of the safest picks there.  Flashy?  Not really, but a guy you win with, I loved that pick personally.

Someone on here compared him to Kesler. If that turns out to be the case, I'm excited.
    PTFlea
    Co-Founder
    Co-Founder

Post by PTFlea on Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:18 pm

spader wrote:
    SpezDispensed wrote:Yeah, White was one of the safest picks there.  Flashy?  Not really, but a guy you win with, I loved that pick personally.

Someone on here compared him to Kesler. If that turns out to be the case, I'm excited.

Kesler, Bergeron. One of those great 2 way guys is what he's compared to. If he develops into that, we're laughing.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:49 pm

how many votes until I move onto #2? Is this enough?
    spader
    All-Star
    All-Star

Number of posts : 10065
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by spader on Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:51 pm

Ev wrote:how many votes until I move onto #2? Is this enough?

I'd say so. As was mentioned before, we're at about 12 posters at this point in the summer.
    Ev
    Franchise Player
    Franchise Player

Post by Ev on Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:55 pm

I need one more vote then. Who's it gonna be?

JK, let's move on.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:28 am